Video playthrough of a song on the album I'm working on (Charvel/Recto content) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Video playthrough of a song on the album I'm working on (Charvel/Recto content)

While jamming along with the backing for a song on the album I'm working on to work out some lead ideas, I figured I'd record a quick video. This is pretty rough, and was a one-take improv when I wasn't fully warmed up (oops!), but the improv wasn't too bad and the basic structure is loosely along the lines of the final solo I ended up recording, so whatever. Feedback (even "you suck!!!" very much appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmIEgr6UMQ

The signal path was my Charvel San Dimas (I think - that or a So Cal, whichever one doesn't have a pickguard), bridge JB, into a Chaos mod TS9 set for a light boost and then my Roadster's Channel 3 Vintage, tube rectified, 100 watts, gain somewhere around 1 o'clock, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Video playthrough of a song on the album I'm working on (Charvel/Recto content)

Sounds great!! Glad your working on the album! I dig the chords.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Re: Video playthrough of a song on the album I'm working on (Charvel/Recto content)

Sounds good bro. Chords sound similar to Foofighter's song Everlong. Also hear some Satch influence in your lead parts.

Good job!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Ugh. I just 5-starred the thread - it got 1-starred by a troll.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's got a similar feel to Everlong - i was kind of after that vibe - but while I've actually never sat down and learned it, the verse and chorus (more on that later) are a Bmadd9 to Dadd4, which I suspect is a heck of a lot more extensions than Grohl was using.

This one came about when I started going back and forth between those two chords, and thought it might be kind of cool to write a song using the same chord changes for the verse and the chorus, but changing up the melody line and drum/bass parts enough to make it feel like two completely different sections. They needed to be, um, "geographically" separate too, somehow, though, so enter the heavier choromatic riff implying an F# changeup in the key of Bm.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Ugh. I just 5-starred the thread - it got 1-starred by a troll.
Dude disliked it on YouTube too, it would seem. Whatever - I 5-starred it myself to help you offset, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it either.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Dude disliked it on YouTube too, it would seem. Whatever - I 5-starred it myself to help you offset, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it either.
What a jerk. That could mean 2 things:
  1. MG.org is down
  2. He thinks you are the "other" Drew P.
I really doubt either, and conclude he be trollin'.

Either way, great song!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Sounds good. Nice tone and sound, cool melody going on..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man! \m/ I love that amp, and that Charvel just sounds huge too!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah, good overall sound to it. Nice legato work, similar to Satch as someone else said.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dude! This is definitely on the more Satch-y side of what I'm working on; on either side, some of the material gets a lot bluesier and a bit heavier, so hopefully when all's said and done it'll be a good mix.

Tags
charvel , rectifier , roadster , ts9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode