Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Videos of my first "real" gig!

Tags
shawn lane
4K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  RG462 
#1 · (Edited)
My dad's fraternity friend, Bill Oliver (who was also Shawn Lane's best friend, he's the guy on the right in the videos), was playing at a local bar, so we thought we'd drop by and see them play. Well, I happened to have my guitar in the car, so they asked if I wanted to sit in. I was a little hesitant (I've really only played in front of my friends at school), but I accepted.

I used my cheap blue Kramer through Bill's rig (Mesa Roadster and some pedals (I only used the BB Preamp)).

We first played ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" (my solos are around :30 and another one around 2:00 :lol:)

Then we jammed on SRV's "The Sky is Crying" (excuse the weedly-doo-ness in the verses :lol:)

Just thought I'd share!

Wade

#2 · (Edited)
Well done Wade!!! great chops for someone so young! I enjoyed both songs, specially, the SRV tune, you played with a lot of conviction, good Blues phrasing too!

Remember: It is the player not the guitar! and the Kramer in my book did everything you needed it to do, so you may need to have a bit more appreciation, after all they are an extension of yourself, leave the Hign end guitar snobbery for guys who have a ton of money but who can't play for crap...

#6 ·
Great job!!

You have nice chops and feel that will only keep getting better. Just remember to play for the song and not get too carried away with solos - although I loved hearing you play all over both tunes ;)

So are you going to join a band or start one before long? You actually play better than alot of guys I see doing it for a living.

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it!

So are you going to join a band or start one before long? You actually play better than alot of guys I see doing it for a living.
I'm not in a band right now, but I really want to be. See, the problem is that I go to a really small school, and on top of that, most seem unusually apathetic towards music. So the pool of musicians isn't large at all. Those who do play aren't very serious either. I'm trying to meet people from elsewhere though.

#8 ·
**** man you knocked that out! You're my little brothers age, and you could play circles around me. Good work. I've just started recently playing guitar with other people and it's made me a thousand times better (though thats still not that good). You should do it as much as possible!

#11 ·
Very tight playing. You neither over nor under played it, while still managing to get some nice tasteful licks in there with some awesome shredding! Great tone too.

Nothing even vaguely negative to say about this solid performance. Very well done indeed.

I'm even more impressed when we take into account your age!!

#17 ·
You are already great with the obvious potential to become awesome :D (no getting big-headed though :wink: ).

Fantastic playing with some really cool phrasing. I especially enjoyed the second solo in Sharp Dressed Man. Some wicked chops in there IMO :D

Look forward to seeing your career unfold in front of you. Aim for the skies coz you have the potential to get there. Keep up the hard work and good luck.

And........don't forget to post more vids along the way :D

#22 ·
nice work, waylay! you've got killer chops, and great phrasing which is a truly rare thing amongst guitarists of any age. i especially like some of the stuff you were doing over the chorus in your first solo on "sharp dressed man". you're an awesome and tasteful player; definitely something to be proud of.

i don't know why i didn't catch this thread when it was new, but either way you're a little monster with that blue kramer! :cool:

#27 ·
Sorry I got to say you really need to work on your......JOKE!!!!!!

Dude excellent playing! I don't really ever bag on peoples playing but I really dont have anything to say other than that was very good indeed!

Is there a guitar in the back ground that has no pickups or anything installed into it?

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.