Want to move onto modes,but do i know my Maj&M well enou - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Want to move onto modes,but do i know my Maj&M well enou

Hi there.Now that i understand modes (i think lol) im going to learn them and start playing around with them. But im not sure if im ready yet. I know a pattern for the Major and minor scales that i just put into another key by moving the root on the low E so i use the same shape to move everywhere. Is that enough? or do i have to do more in death things with these basic scales before moving onto modes, you see, i dont want to move onto somthing harder and then realise i didnt learnt the Maj/Minor scales correctly etc.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 06:58 PM

That's a tricky question.

I ask you: Do you read music? If not, learn how to.

Now that we've heard a word from our sponsor, I'd see two options in your situation:

1) **** around with the thing. It'll come out sooner or later. Trial & error.

2) Get some lessons with a teacher who knows Jack Schitt. It'll get you ahead faster than asking things from gumballs on a site dedicated to Japanese shred guitars...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Nah i dont know how to read music. I barely know all the notes on the fretboard as i for some reason had a hard time finding a method that worked without me forgeting them or getting impatient, does this matter, or can i still learn to read music ?

Anyone know of any good sites, btw im simple minded like

I have a teacher atm, but ive stopped lessons atm as its not what im after.He sucks, and i dont get through hardly anything so im looking for someone a bit more experienced.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:00 PM

something that can definately help is using a program called guitar pro.
www.guitar-pro.com

it has a nice feature thats available on the demo (i think) that lets you choose a scale, and it shows you all the notes in that scale all over the fret board, and even a piano keyboard if you want (this really helps, the piano is much simpler in terms of scales).
It also has a shiznitload of scales, anything you can imagine. So you choose the scale, and it will give you a picture of a fretboard with all the notes that are in the scale highlighted.

Funny, its a tab program, but I use the other features on it far more : metronome, scale book, chord builder and a notepad for little ideas i come up with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Nah i dont know how to read music. I barely know all the notes on the fretboard as i for some reason had a hard time finding a method that worked without me forgeting them or getting impatient, does this matter, or can i still learn to read music ?
That's two things you need to work on IMO, and they interconnect so learning one supports the other. It's never too late to learn something. And it's never too early to learn something.

First, we start with C major. You probably know the notes of C major. Figure out a way to write them on staff paper, and find the pitches on your guitar.

Borrowing again Mick Goodrick's Unitar method, it's simple but very effective. Play C major scale on one string at the time. Once you get it going on one string, explore the same scale on the next string. When you have all the strings covered fluently, start combining. First, improvise on the scale on two strings at the time, all over the neck. Then three etc... in a relatively short amount of time, you'll notice you're flying all over the neck! Also play the scale in all positions.

It is important that when you find the C maj notes on the neck, you listen of course (!), but also know what notes you are playing.

Don't expect this to unfold in one afternoon. Take your time, do a good job and the reward shall be yours!

It's important to find a good teacher. I think a good teacher is one who works with you, at your pace, at the stuff you need to work on. I've wasted so much time and money with "respected teachers" who only "showed their stuff", ie. poured advanced concepts on me week after week, without being too much concerned if I could keep up with the pace. The net result: I guess I picked up something, but mostly I ended up feeling overwhelmed, inadequate and uninspired. You know, "no way in hell am I ever going to get all this sheite together!"...

Tags
fret board , minor scales , shred guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode