warmup excercises??? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

warmup excercises???

ok, i woudl like o know what the most efficient warmup excercise is. and the quickest...anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 09:20 PM

If my hands are cold, I warm them up in warm water or something like rubbing them together etc... Then I do this chromatic excercise from john petrucci's rock discipline video. I start the metronome out at around 80 and go up to 206 I believe. Then I am warmed up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 06:28 AM

Yeah JPs warmup extravaganza usually does the trick. If I combine his excercises from RD and WS (wild stringdom) and do a Vai excercise from the UV booklet I'm busy for an hour or so just warming up ...and watching TV ofcourse.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

...can u please post them? id lik to know a warmup excercise....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 02:25 PM

"erotomania" really looks like a warmup song...
chromatics and some stretchs at the beginning then speed picking and all at the end
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't like to launch into erotomania cold.
I usually do some hand and wrist stretches, then JP's RD exercises.
Then I'll strum through a few chord progressions, then move on to chromatics
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 05:01 PM
EKG

Intro to Mr. Big's Colorado Bulldog...start out slowly and work your way up.
EKG is online  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 04:56 AM

Reviews: 2
I sit on my hands before picking up my guitar!

Just kidding... After rubbing my hands and fingers, I do chromatic excersizes aswell as arpeggios and improvising to warm up. Then I practise some stuff for a while, for instance... I'll practise some arpeggios, or chordprogressions, or pull offs or whatever, after that I'll play a few Satch or Dream Theater songs and if I feel like practising anymore I will continue doing that.

Basically, just playing (improvising solo's) helps warming your fingers up. Just don't forget to rub your hands a little bit, so they won't cramp up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 12:19 PM

You know what works really well for me? playing scales linearly up the neck in three note groups, first playing two notes fretted normally then pre-bending into the third, then playing the same three notes fretted, and moving up one position and doing it again. For example:

G|--2-4-(b)5-4-2-4-5-4-4-5-(b)7-5-4-5-7-5-| etc.

something about that really loosens up my fingers and in addition helps keep your bends sharp.

then i just wank around aimlessly for a while, drink a gin and tonic or three, and flirt with groupies, if any exist.

-Drew

Tags
chord progression , chord progressions , john petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode