Weak Wrist or Bad technique? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Weak Wrist or Bad technique?

practicing alot of picking excersises lately and i am gettin there gradually [still slow as **** by shred standards]

but when playing single string exercises its almost as if i have no control over my wrist as if it were trembling , possibly because i dont anchor and i used to

also ive noticed that when picking one string my technique slightly changes , it goes from wrist going right to left ie. <----- -----> it then goes to a kind of motion like that except the would be coming out your screen kind of like a flicking movement

im not sure what to do my thumbs is 2mm in around off the strings and my wirst is contacting at the bone opposite the thumb and the meaty part below your pinky about 1/2 of that area

my hand from wrist to bottom of fingers is pretty masiive so and v got longer than average finers which further confuses things

Anyone got any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Re: Weak Wrist or Bad technique?

I would say your probally limp wristed
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 3

It's hard to tell what the problem is without actually seeing your picking action, but I'm thinking you're trying to make your wrist move in a way that it cannot naturally do.

Do you pick best from the wrist? What I mean is, what action allows you to pick one note, one string the fastest? You should be focusing on that and bringing it under control rather than trying to force your hand to move in a way that it doesn't want to.

I spent YEARS attempting to copy Paul Gilbert's picking technique, but in the end I finally accepted that I am not a floating hand, wrist-picking kinda guy. Since I realised that and focused on the movement that I pick best with, I've been able to slow down that movment, get it under control then gradually speed it up again.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Wild_Child;822945]It's hard to tell what the problem is without actually seeing your picking action,QUOTE]

ill try get a vid up tomorrow or tuesday
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
I spent YEARS attempting to copy Paul Gilbert's picking technique, but in the end I finally accepted that I am not a floating hand, wrist-picking kinda guy. Since I realised that and focused on the movement that I pick best with, I've been able to slow down that movment, get it under control then gradually speed it up again.
Exactly, there is no wrong way to do it, just look at Marty Friedman.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

i cant alt pick on 1 string withoutmy hand just losing control like the pic is slipping off the string its liek theres a weight attatched to my hand or something

Tags
marty friedman , paul gilbert , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode