We've boarded the Train of Thought but what do you think ? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

We've boarded the Train of Thought but what do you think ?

By this time, I'm sure that many of my fellow Jemsiters have, like me, armed themselves with copies of Train of Thought. I'm nearly finished listening it and have already formed my basic opinions on the album and I was hoping you would share yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 PM

This is the new DT album, right? How's this for going out on a limb - I reckon it's probably a bit of a let down...the usual fantastic musicianship and incredible vocals...but ultimately a let down. I reckon this is because DT have peaked like every band - how could Queensryche possibly do a better album than Operation Mindcrime, likewise how could DT do a better album than Images & Words (save for the awful triggered drum sound) and Scenes from a Memory. I hope I'm wrong! Please let me know I am and that it's much better than 6DOIT!
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:29 PM

i cant get it to play on my computer wmp says it cant play that format
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 PM

I think it kicks a$$, I feel like my face was just shot off.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:36 PM

Maybe I'll go buy it tomorrow.... nothing feels better than a nice, cool refreshing shotgun blast to the face.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:45 PM

ok its workking i heard to tracks in my car and they rawked and im not the biggest dt fan either
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Damn straight! Upon listening to it a fourth time I would like to reaffirm my statement of ass kicking above. I think that it is quite a bit better than SDoIT. I think almost everyone liked The Glass Prison off of that though, and if you didn't, this album might not be for you. It sort of reminds me of the heavy feeling you get from The Glass Prison combined with the more "finished" feeling of albums like Images and Words and Awake. If you don't like metal this CD most likely isn't for you, it is definitely DT's heaviest to date. JP's guitar playing on this disc is some of the fastest I've heard him do, it has evolved considerably since the early days.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:41 PM

It's a lot heavier with less keyboards (sans the instrumental parts of the songs.)

But the instrumental track (number 6) blows hard.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:51 PM

I got it around 3:00 today, and I'm listening to it right now. I'm a huge DT fan, and I don't think they could do anything to totally disapoint me. I would definatly have to agree that this album is their heaviest, and I like it, except for a few little short parts. This probably won't be my favorite DT cd, but I definatly love it. I've read a few people complaining about its heavieness, but I'm totally cool with DT putting out a really kickin album for us to enjoy After this more metal cd, I think it would be really cool if DT dropped the "progressive bomb" on us for the next album Also, the cd has some awsome lyrics, and JP is totally smokin the fret board
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:52 PM

I actually like it (track 6), although it doesn't come near a song like Erotomania...
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 PM

My copy should be in tomorrow, I have heard nothing from it (I avoid preview clips generally) and this is the first thread I have read on any forum about ToT, so this one is heavy yeah?

Cool, I just hope its not heavy for the sake of being heavy and losing the fundamental elements of why I love DT, Symphony X lost ground with The Odyssey to me for being too heavy and losing somewhat of the more prog element of earlier releases.

I am looking forward to it!!
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 07:38 PM

There's a lot of wanking in it. The end of "This Dying Soul" is insane!!!
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 07:51 PM

Anyone else notice how creative they were with the graphic on the CD itself?
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:52 AM

I just picked it up last night. I'm not completely through it all, but I'm liking what I hear so far.

Quote:
There's a lot of wanking in it. The end of "This Dying Soul" is insane!!!

Petrucci's solos on "This Dying Soul" are absolutely wicked!
He's inhuman!
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 10:16 AM

Got it yesterday, and now listening to it for the fourth time. Awesome album, that first song just hits you immediately. Digging the heaviness. I think this is now my 3rd favorite (after Images and Words and Awake). Dream Theater continue to not disappoint.

Tags
dave mustaine , eddie van halen , fret board , guitar playing , joe stump , john petrucci , jordan rudess , mike portnoy , neck position , robert johnson , rusty cooley , van halen , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode