What the 100 greatest guitarist should have looked like - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Re: What the 100 greatest guitarist should have looked like

If those are all "rock" players..... well guess I'm not hearing the same material you are. Dick Dale, Scotty Moore, Steve Cropper and many others are rock??? LMAO BTW where does it say "rock" guitarist in the title???? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the title said "100 greatest guitarist"..... At least we agree on EJ though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
If those are all "rock" players..... well guess I'm not hearing the same material you are. Dick Dale, Scotty Moore, Steve Cropper and many others are rock??? LMAO BTW where does it say "rock" guitarist in the title???? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the title said "100 greatest guitarist"..... At least we agree on EJ though.
Actually, the thread title is incorrect regarding the list posted. And for this list, early rock 'n' roll and rockabilly is counted as rock, so their inclusion is valid. I'm the main editor, but I have co-editors who help edit the list, so I can't vouch for all their decisions.

Some artists who veered to closely to other genres such as blues and country were removed, which explains why SRV isn't on the revised list. There was a lot of arguing over that, but they said that with SRV on the list, why not Freddie King and other similar players? I think you see my point.
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 PM

You should have a Mod. correct it for you then..... as far as SRV, he's closer to rock than say Dick Dale. Did you just happen to forget Buddy Holly too?????
post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You should have a Mod. correct it for you then.....
Correct what?

Quote:
as far as SRV, he's closer to rock than say Dick Dale. Did you just happen to forget Buddy Holly too?????
Holly was an omission, true. He'll most likely be added in one of the future revisions.
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
Actually, the thread title is incorrect regarding the list posted.
The thread title..... (correction) Must be an age barrier thing.....
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM

This isn't my thread, I'll leave any title manipulations to the person who started it.
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
Actually, the thread title is incorrect regarding the list posted. And for this list, early rock 'n' roll and rockabilly is counted as rock, so their inclusion is valid. I'm the main editor, but I have co-editors who help edit the list, so I can't vouch for all their decisions.

Some artists who veered to closely to other genres such as blues and country were removed, which explains why SRV isn't on the revised list. There was a lot of arguing over that, but they said that with SRV on the list, why not Freddie King and other similar players? I think you see my point.
Well not exactly, when I surched it on google this is what showed up and said 100 greatest rock guitarists on the old page. And I liked it when dime was 41 lol (please put him back) lol.
post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM

I guess we all stand corrected...... Then let's do two lists......
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I guess we all stand corrected...... Then let's do two lists......
Don't forget Allan Holdsworth on that list .

Regards

André

post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguitarist7778 View Post
Well not exactly, when I surched it on google this is what showed up and said 100 greatest rock guitarists on the old page. And I liked it when dime was 41 lol (please put him back) lol.
Now this would be the REAL managing (main) editor??!!! I mean since it is "his" thread!!!! LOL
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I guess I missed the thread "hijack" somewhere in there....
post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post
It's a rock list. If it was open to other genre's I'd be writing essays as to why Holdsworth should be at the top.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Don't forget Allan Holdsworth on that list .

Regards

André
You know, I didn't even notice that Al wasn't on there. That's sheer lunacy. Holdsworth is the ultimate, we should be much more appreciative of what that guy can do with a guitar. The funny thing is, Al doesn't even LIKE guitar! He wanted to be a sax player.

Regarding Hendrix, I know some of you can't stand him, and I can't listen to a lot of Jimi nowadays, but there's just a few tracks by him that no other guitarist can even touch. Certain songs, or even certain notes he plays, literally raise the hair on my arms. Very few artists can do that to me. Axis: Bold As Love (the song, not the whole album) gets me, the note choice is just unbelievable. Castles Made Of Sand... how can anyone not love that song?
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Hey..... There's another Al missing, Al DiMeola!
post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
You know, I didn't even notice that Al wasn't on there. That's sheer lunacy. Holdsworth is the ultimate, we should be much more appreciative of what that guy can do with a guitar. The funny thing is, Al doesn't even LIKE guitar! He wanted to be a sax player.
Wasn't it french horn he wanted to play?

Regards

André

post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:56 PM

On the second list, EJ is at 19 and Satch is at 20, very cool how both my favorite guitarists are back to back. Nice to see Tony MacAlpine on the list although I would've put him alot higher than 67 and still a shame that Andy Timmons isn't on the list.

Tags
acoustic guitar , adrian belew , adrian smith , alex lifeson , alex skolnick , allan holdsworth , andy summers , andy timmons , angelo batio , angus young , brett garsed , chris broderick , danny gatton , david gilmour , david lee roth , dimebag darrell , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , fredrik thordendal , gary hoey , gary moore , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jason becker , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , john scofield , john sykes , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , michael schenker , neal schon , neil young , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pearl jam , pink floyd , playing guitar , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robert fripp , robert johnson , rusty cooley , shawn lane , steve howe , steve lukather , steve morse , steve stevens , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , sweep picking , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , vinnie moore , vito bratta , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode