What the 100 greatest guitarist should have looked like - Page 6 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 PM

Re: What the 100 greatest guitarist should have looked like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Regarding Hendrix, I know some of you can't stand him, and I can't listen to a lot of Jimi nowadays, but there's just a few tracks by him that no other guitarist can even touch. Certain songs, or even certain notes he plays, literally raise the hair on my arms. Very few artists can do that to me. Axis: Bold As Love (the song, not the whole album) gets me, the note choice is just unbelievable. Castles Made Of Sand... how can anyone not love that song?
Maybe like the way I'm doing it right now? Look! Sheer indifference!

Al wanted to play French horn me had thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Indeed!

You know, I didn't even notice that Al wasn't on there. That's sheer lunacy. Holdsworth is the ultimate, we should be much more appreciative of what that guy can do with a guitar. The funny thing is, Al doesn't even LIKE guitar! He wanted to be a sax player.

Regarding Hendrix, I know some of you can't stand him, and I can't listen to a lot of Jimi nowadays, but there's just a few tracks by him that no other guitarist can even touch. Certain songs, or even certain notes he plays, literally raise the hair on my arms. Very few artists can do that to me. Axis: Bold As Love (the song, not the whole album) gets me, the note choice is just unbelievable. Castles Made Of Sand... how can anyone not love that song?
Castles Made Of Sand is a great great track. I love Yngwies version from 1989 .

Regards

André

post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM

the list is still missing andy timmons
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Extremist View Post
the list is still missing andy timmons
Uh you're right, Andy is fantastic.

Regards

André

post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 PM

Timmons is currently at #101 on the list, although I'm pondering whether he should move up or not.
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Wasn't it french horn he wanted to play?

Regards

André
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post

Al wanted to play French horn me had thought.
Nope. Sax. Tenor sax, actually.

Quote:
Q: Were you playing guitar at this point?

Allan: Yeah. I'd just started messing around with it, but I had no real interest in it. I wanted to play saxophone, but at the time, a saxophone was really expensive, and my mom and dad didn't have the money for it. He got me a guitar from an uncle who played guitar, and he left it laying around. It was just an old roundhole acoustic guitar.
On another note, have any of you heard Allan play violin? He's pretty bloody amazing.
post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Regards

André
Yeah Andy is awesome!!!
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Regards

André
+1 His phrasing and tone is very tasteful. I've been impressed by Timmons alot lately.
post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
+1 His phrasing and tone is very tasteful. I've been impressed by Timmons alot lately.
Yeah his new album is great .

Regards

André

post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm putting the finishing touches on the list as we speak, I'll make sure it replaces the one originally posted in this thread.

For those who still don't know what I'm talking about, it's the rock guitarists list on this site: www.digitaldreamdoor.com
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah his new album is great .

Regards

André
From what I heard so far, I really liked. I really need to get around to buying it. There are so many albums out there that I want to buy. Lately, i've been wanting to get some Planet X and CAB, I love Tony MacAlpine's solo stuff but I really need to get some of his fusion stuff. Eric Johnson just released a cd with the Electromagnets which is another one I have to pick up. So many good guitarists with great albums out there, Andy Timmon's Resolution is definately on my list of albums to get.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
I'm putting the finishing touches on the list as we speak, I'll make sure it replaces the one originally posted in this thread.

For those who still don't know what I'm talking about, it's the rock guitarists list on this site: www.digitaldreamdoor.com

I contacted Lew from www.digitaldreamdoor.com..... he did in fact confirm you're co-editing the list along with five or six others. However, he also stated he would be the deciding factor as to how much the list would actually change.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 AM

Of course, he's the administrator. There really are only two other active editors, and I'm doing most of the work at the moment. Gonna expand the list to 300, which will be the main goal now that the Top 100 is done.
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Lately, i've been wanting to get some Planet X and CAB, I love Tony MacAlpine's solo stuff but I really need to get some of his fusion stuff.
Man, wait until you hear the new Planet X material... it's astonishing! The new album isn't gonna be out for a while (Feb 2007) but I urge you to look into it when it's released. Allan Holdsworth and Brett Garsed did the guitars.

As for Tony, you should pick up the Chromaticity album if you haven't already, and CAB 4.

Tags
acoustic guitar , adrian belew , adrian smith , alex lifeson , alex skolnick , allan holdsworth , andy summers , andy timmons , angelo batio , angus young , brett garsed , chris broderick , danny gatton , david gilmour , david lee roth , dimebag darrell , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank zappa , fredrik thordendal , gary hoey , gary moore , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jason becker , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , john scofield , john sykes , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , michael schenker , neal schon , neil young , nuno bettencourt , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pearl jam , pink floyd , playing guitar , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robert fripp , robert johnson , rusty cooley , shawn lane , steve howe , steve lukather , steve morse , steve stevens , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , sweep picking , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , vinnie moore , vito bratta , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode