What about Wedding Bands? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face What about Wedding Bands?

I got an audition for a Wedding Band, as the male vocalist. The band consists of 2 female leads, guitar, bass, keyboards, percussion, and drums. I may be asked at a later date to play some guitar as well...But I am auditioning for the vocal spot...

My question is how animated should I be?
What is too over the top and what is not?
How cheesy and or classy do you need to be?
What should I be thinking before walking in?
What would impress them the most aside from nailing the vocals?

I've worked in cover bands, but never a wedding band before, and usually I was running my bands, so I could never piss anyone off. I'm good friends with the bassist, so I have an in with him and we've gigged together before. He told me that they auditioned a few guys who were absolute mimics and that turned them off...But the wedding band thing is new to me. I was asked to prepare the following tunes...

Wonderful Tonight-Eric Clapton
Love Shack-B52's
Cruisin Together-Huey Lewis with Gwyneth Paltrow
You Shook Me All Night Long-AD/DC
I Gotta Feelin-Black Eyed Peas
Super Freak-Rick James
Signed, Sealed Delivered-Stevie Wonder
Let's Twist Again-Chubby Checker

And a ninth that they'll throw at me at the audition...

Any advice anyone can give who's played in wedding bands, would be awesome.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: What about Wedding Bands?

Know all the songs.

I don't mean all the songs they told you to learn, i mean all the songs... ever...

I also think that most of the wedding bands I've known of tend to be quite anonymous, you're not there to be the star of the show, you're there to entertain a few folks who, if you're lucky might pay some attention to one or two of the songs you sing all night. Just be yourself and be technically as good as you can. Hit the high notes and learn the words

All the best for the audition
jono is online  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: What about Wedding Bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Know all the songs.

I don't mean all the songs they told you to learn, i mean all the songs... ever...
Awesome advice! (I'm laughing with you, not at you man!)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM

You should wait till your first gig, and go full on "Diamond" David Lee Roth. You might get fired, you might be a hit, but either way it would be one hell of a memorable wedding

You can do a jumping splits kick right?

Rock on!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post

Rock on!
I can do the butterfly, but at my age to get the height right I have to jump off the stage to be airborn for that long...Otherwise I just prove that old white men can't jump!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM

you need to come off as the expert. girls are very nervous when it comes to anything to do with a wedding, especially the band!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
You should wait till your first gig, and go full on "Diamond" David Lee Roth. You might get fired, you might be a hit, but either way it would be one hell of a memorable wedding

Rock on!
I would LOVE to be at a wedding with such a band.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 PM

You might have seen this in Old School - great wedding song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRiZsDObrU
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Well, the audition was 8:15 tonight but the guy before me canned it, so I'm going to go early and try to get some extra time in with the band. And great news...I'm sick as a dog! Just my luck right?

3 days on my Z-pack, and I still feel like @ss! However I am committed to going in and knocking this out. I will set the bar and not try to reach for someone elses...

I'll let you know how it turns out...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 AM

Remember - never upstage the bride. Never. Ever. Upstage. The. Bride.

Very Bad Things is a fine example of what happens if you do.

Funny thing, weddings here are not big on actual bands. Normally some second-rate DJ plays songs nobody wants to hear and generally screws up the whole show. Since I'm so anti-dancing (no, I'm not a methodist, just a really terrible dancer) our wedding was completely without music.

Funny, I used to make a fortune out of playing the bagpipes at weddings ....... about an hour gig in total with no more than 20 minutes' playing, and charging more than a neurosurgeon would . You don't even need to be particularly competent, since you end up playing a) a poor version of the wedding march (it doesn't transpose properly), b) Highland bloody Cathedral, and c) Amazing bloody Grace (which doubles for funerals as well).

Good luck with the audition. I'd think a few months of gigging would do wonders for your versatility and learning to think on your feet!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Good luck with the audition. I'd think a few months of gigging would do wonders for your versatility and learning to think on your feet!
Thanks, and that's exactly what I was thinking all week! How great it will be to go outside my comfort zone (which is Steve Perry/Joe Lynn Turner area) and gain a lot of versatility.

The song I struggled most with was Stevie Wonders "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" I figured it was hard for a grooveless white guy with sight to be in that same space!

They threw a tune out there that I hadn't worked on, but had heard before. "Smooth" by Rob Thomas/Carlos Santana

Here is my critique on my audition...Wedding Band A- Auditioning singer (me) B-

I definitely lost my spot once or twice, but was able to pick it back up rather quickly. I was on key for the most part with maybe a misstep or 2 if that. Definitely suffered from tired voice by the time we ended it with AC/DC "Shook Me All Nite Long"

If I had been healthy I would not have hired me! However due to the fact I was very sick I would give me a call back when I'm better to see how much improvement there would be. Then, based on that I would either say yes or dump my @$$ off!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Where ever the work is. For a 7-pce band you must be able to get alot. As a singer you will enjoy it rather than just strumming chords and the odd solo. Remember to lock in those lyrics and meditate - get the band to setup before you arrive with your mic and say "testing 1,2" and then chill on the lawn. Dont play too loud at first and only up it 1mm later when they come up and ask all sorts of you whilst they sit on the stage, dropping glasses and vomit the night away. Above all - get paid before you start!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMusica View Post
For a 7-pce band you must be able to get alot.
And they apparently have an all girl horn section that works with them on a on-call type basis. They weren't there when I auditioned though...

It's a pretty cool situation, and I hope I didn't suck too much for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode