What can I practice while at work? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

What can I practice while at work?

So I have a peculiar work schedule, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and at least half of the 12 hour shift I spend just browsing the internet. I have not had the gall to waltz into my work with a guitar and sit silently practicing, but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time. Time that could spent learning something new. The obvious choice seems to be theory, but most of the books I own require a bit of fiddling while writing out neck diagrams.

Any Ideas? :]

Also my line of work will not allow for any portable Recording/USB devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Re: What can I practice while at work?

Finger desterity? Practice tapping your fretting hand fingertips in different sequences on a flat surface.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:22 PM

I would spend the time applying for a different job or take some courses online on something useful not related to guitar.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM

I remember seeing Shred Neck in the back of a guitar mag. That might be an option.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, the finger dexterity idea sounds like a great idea. I'll check out the shred neck doohickey, I think I've seen those before as well. @ Stealthtastic, I have about 6 more months on my contract before finding a new job will do me any good! haha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiekMire View Post
@ Stealthtastic, I have about 6 more months on my contract before finding a new job will do me any good! haha
Your contract ends in six months, or there's some other reason why you can't leave?

While you need to consider your professional reputation and if you're in the middle of a critical project, walking out to take another job and potentially setting the project back would probably be a bad career move, if I was working on a project/contract basis, I'd absolutely be looking for a full time position (or, if not, at least a higher-paid, more interesting contract position) well before the end of the contract.

Look at a job like it's a guitar - yes, you have a guitar. But, wouldn't you like a BETTER guitar?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM

As long as you are on the internet, browse youtube for lessons or things you really want to learn, backing tracks etc. and save them to your faves or bookmark them, then when you get home you can go straight to practicing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:36 PM

When I was in college and had to show up to my day gig.. on days where the man was there and I could tuck a guitar away in the closet.. I'd bring a legal pad with me.. sketch out a couple of neck diagrams and start filling in the notes of different keys.. or dotting out all the different inversions of a particular triad etc.. just to re enforce my ability to visualize the fret board.. this went a long ways toward boosting my confidence which made my improv stronger as I could see things that I heard in my head light up on the neck almost like a fret light guitar or that scrolling neck in the guitar hero game.. if that makes any sense.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Sounds pretty good Jack, I have been doing this for the past few weeks and have been using a browser based keyboard to verify my work! Unfortunately I can't bring the paper home, curse the 100% shred policy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM

ahhhh.. SEE... the MAN trying to keep you down!.. lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Exactly, I'd prefer a different 100% Shred policy! :]
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM

* Buy a Tuning fork and hit it and try to remember the note, do it every hour.
than sing the note and hear if you are close…after a couple months you are getting there.
Than hit it again and sing a different interval..continue with this with all intervals.

Try not to think in guitar diagrams/ grids, shapes or boxes you find on the net or in books its all finger memory..which is nice but limited on the long end.
Think in intervals , 1 to 12 with all the b (flats) and # in between on the guitar.
Now try to internal sing and visualize them on the guitar neck.
New ideas will come if you do it regularly , your ear will be better and it will give you a lot of musical freedom to play whatever you like.
When you come home after a day of hard work , put those exercises to work on your guitar.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM

Can you use earphones/audio? There are several sites with ear-training exercises that test your recognition of various intervals. Could be useful?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 AM

Reviews: 6

or you can also study some theory/harmony which will eventually be useful, something more theorical than practical

I remember using my ruler as a fingerboard at school, practicing phantom of the opera during the english lessons back 18 years ago...

Tags
practice , theory , work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode