What Happened to Donnie Hunt ??? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

What Happened to Donnie Hunt ???

Does anyone know (i'm almost positive someone here will) how and when Donnie Hunt died ?

I have my 'possibilities' figured out, him being an Artist with a tortured soul and all, but I'd like to find out what actually happened to him.

I couldn't find any sites that had pictures of any of his work either,apart from pictures of JS3's and Satch's jackets and a few bits like that.

Anyone know where any of his art can be viewed(online) ?

Thanks.......

Last edited by JTM45; 05-26-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Vendor

Re: What Happened to Donnie Hunt ???

I had some links to several art sites that had info up, but they'll all dead now. There's a guy in San Fransisco that owns the majority of his canvases. He owns a skyscraper and they're all on display there. Unfortunately I don't know who he is or where the building is. His obit is still online here.

http://www.compulink.ru/dima/Satch/p...ody_donnie.htm
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Rich!

It's a very sad way to go though for such a seemingly talented artist.

I LOVE good art and find it such a shame that his work isn't on a website somewhere so I could check more of it out.

I think it would be a great and fitting tribute to Donnie if it was possible for whoever has any of his art to display it online for people to enjoy and remember him by.

I've always thought it would be great to have a JS3 'Donnie' site where people who own these works of art could register their guitar and display it (similar to the ATD 'DNA' gallery).
The original JS3's i've seen pictures of have been quite different from each other. Are there any that were done in completely different colour schemes?

I remember seeing an almost black and white example called the 'Nightmare Donnie'. Is that an original ?

Thanks .
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Vendor

JS3

The guy that owned them was supposed to be working on a catalog of his work.

The nightmare that I'm thinking of isn't a Donnie.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why i always think 6 instead of 3 (doh!).

Do you still own all of the Donnies that are pictured in your gallery?

I really like (all of them!) the third one along in the separate pictures with the large pink/red Robots head. That's a great one!

Are the Rainbows hand painted ? The first one is very different (very cool!) from the others.

Was there a set number of the Donnies made and if so how many ?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Vendor

Double your pleasure maybe?

And another I haven't had the chance to take pics of yet.

Seperate pictures?

All the JS graphics are, the first is a prototype graphic, sorta between the catalog version and the production version.

Just guestimates, currently, somewhere around 60, more or less.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know (i'm almost positive someone here will) how and when Donnie Hunt died ?
Although it's been 5 years since the original post, I'll respond here in the hopes that anyone concerned will get a chance to read it.

As the SF Chronicle obit noted, Donnie did indeed die from complications of AIDS. He actually lived in Oakland, on the East side, but not quite in San Leandro.

Starting when I was in the 6th grade, Donnie was our local recreation center counselor. He took large groups of youngsters on hiking and skiing trips throughout the years. Many of us remained close friends with him as we passed through high school and into adulthood.

Quote:
There's a guy in San Fransisco that owns the majority of his canvases. He owns a skyscraper and they're all on display there. Unfortunately I don't know who he is or where the building is.
The writer is likely thinking about the Tribune Tower in Oakland, which was owned by one of us who knew Donnie since grade school.

en_DOT_wikipedia_DOT_org/wiki/Tribune_Tower_(Oakland)

As noted in the Wikipedia article, John sold the building a few years ago; I don't know the status of the art that had been on display there.

Another of Donnie's longtime admirers is the author Suzan Finnamore, who's first novel contains a fictional scene of the death of a fictional character that is based in spirit and love on Donnie's passing.

www_DOT_amazon_DOT_com/gp/product/0375706429/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp&bodytext=Otherwise+Engaged:+A+No vel+by+Suzanne+Finnamore

At the memorial service referenced in the obituary, one of Donnie's friends (from another circle, whom I did not/do not know) spoke of putting together an art book; I signed a list he passed around, but I never heard anything about it.

I was able to buy one of the T-Shirts that were printed for his service that day, and I value it greatly (I was about to post a digi-pix of it, but decided I don't want to contribute to putting his work out on the internet; doesn't seem right).

I still think of Donnie often. I miss his wisdom and his Southern drawl and his great spirit.

(sorry about the camouflaged URLs, but the system won't let me link as a new user; guess I wouldn't have been able to post the picture after all...)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeDave View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Tower

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...anne+Finnamore

(sorry about the camouflaged URLs, but the system won't let me link as a new user; guess I wouldn't have been able to post the picture after all...)
Here you go
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Interesting reading.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Vendor

Interesting that after 5 years this gets pulled up the same day another is delivered

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Nice!

Show them all!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Vendor

The won't fit on the couch anymore
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The won't fit on the couch anymore
How many do you have left?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Vendor

Left?!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Interesting that after 5 years this gets pulled up the same day another is delivered

Rich you lucky blighter, thats the one I tried to copy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode