What happens when idiots pick a 100 Best Guitarists list - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

What happens when idiots pick a 100 Best Guitarists list

Take it away, Rolling Stone. (My comments in italics)

1 Jimi Hendrix "Fair enough"
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder "Good choice, deserves more recognition."
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica "You mean the guy who literally only played the solos, didn't otherwise participate in Metallica's albums until 1996?"
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana "C'mon. Great songwriter, yes. But has no business being mentioned in the same list as Eddie Van Halen. Speaking of whom... Eddie?"
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones "Uh, we're still talking about great guitarists, right?"
17 Jack White of the White Stripes "I love White Stripes. Love 'em. But no. No."
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes "Hear hear."
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits "Great guitarist. One of my favourites. Like him almost as much as Eddie Van Halen. Speaking of whom ..?"
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service "Whosilver Whatinger Service?"
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore "As great as he is, I bet whoever compiled this list put him there because he played for Elvis, not because of what he played."
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townshend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed "Lou Reed plays guitar? I thought he just strapped one on so his hands would have somewhere to go."
53 Mickey Baker "And you are..?"
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton "The Eddie Van Halen of the Telecaster. Hugely underrated. Speaking of underrated..."
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen "Oh there you are. I guess being the most influential and revered guitarist after Hendrix doesn't equal "great." Prompting industry revolutions like hot rod amps, custom guitars and the Floyd Rose, and techniques like two-handed tapping mustn't count much as contributions either."
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure "Who? Oh yeah. Some obscure guitarist nobody's heard about who Rolling Stone cite so they sound cultured and learned. Guess they couldn't remember how to spell Nusrat Fateh Wrath of Kahn or whatever his name is."
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd "Must have been hiding on the dark side of the moon when they were looking for players to put in the top ten."
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath "I guess it was at this point in compiling the list that the journos got their complementary Ozzfest tickets. "Ozzy had some guitarists, didn't he? Let's put them on the list. ...Zakk WHO?"
87 Joan Jett "Oh yeah, I guess they forgot to put enough chicks on the list. I guess Jennifer Batten's not cool enough and Meredith Brooks is too pretty to really be that good."
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC "Why are you hiding all the way down there? Don't be shy, o great one."
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

Hey, I seem to remember Whitesnake had a pretty good guitarist, some guy who also played on Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. He should have been on there too. And that Joe Santana guy who taught Kirk Hammett.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:12 AM

This has been mentioned before fella http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24969
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Oh and it's right there in front of me on the main page... *blinks* I looked for it and everything before posting (I was hoping to just add my comments to an existing thread but couldn't find one so I started it myself).

Oh well. Too much crack for me.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:51 AM

Okay Petie.......I actually appreciate your twisted sarcasm posted here. In fact I still have your "adrenaline is for running away from monkeys and stuff not for thinking clearly" on my desktop. Shear genius my friend. Whenever I show people that post-it note they wet their pants.
Closed Thread

Tags
angus young , custom guitar , custom guitars , danny gatton , david gilmour , eddie van halen , eric clapton , floyd rose , frank zappa , jeff beck , jennifer batten , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , john mclaughlin , keith richards , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , mark knopfler , neil young , pink floyd , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , robert fripp , robert johnson , steve howe , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , tom morello , tony iommi , van halen , vernon reid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode