What key is this? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
To me, the chord progressions never give a sense of finality or resolution. They could loop forever with no convincing end. This is not a musically well defined chord progression because there is no dissonance, leading tones to give the listener/player a strong sense of which note is the tonic. Keep in mind, there is no rule stating all backing tracks need to be particularly good.

You know... I never thought of it like that, but you are right. It has an interesting/intriguing "feel" to it, but doesn't really go anywhere. The youtube user name is "Elevated Backing Tracks". I liked the tracks because there would be hints regarding "try soloing over it in such and such mode" with diagrams, but some don't really go anywhere and can be a bit bland! Thanks for the insight... \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Perhaps they're designed for looping rather than as a song with a beginning, middle and end.
All the chords are in C ionian (major) scale so you could make it resolve if you wanted to make a simple song of it.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Perhaps they're designed for looping rather than as a song with a beginning, middle and end.
All the chords are in C ionian (major) scale so you could make it resolve if you wanted to make a simple song of it.

Probably "extended jamming" more than looping. Most of the guy's tracks are around 10 minutes long... Good quality tracks with usually two different sections to spice them up a bit, but now that I've been jamming with several of them they seem to be a little bland. Most a re really good tracks... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqA...-C9roOB4vgzROA
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
OK... So I've been brushing up on modes and feeling ok about it. Then I was playing along with a random backing track last night just for the challenge of it... it was a nice "modey" sounding track. The progression was in two parts - A maj, G maj, D maj... then after a few bars switched to F maj, G maj, A maj, and toggled back and forth between the two. What key or mode? 3 major chords a whole step apart? Or is this one of those instances where you just ignore the rules and play what sounds right?
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, been busy lately. I see this collection of chords as being in the key of D. The first three chords you gave are your traditional I, IV, V chords, all though in a different order. You can play diatonically with the notes of D major over those three chords. Also, for a blues effect, you can play D minor pentatonic over those chords. Now looking at the second three chords you listed, you see we already have the G & A. Odd to this is the Fmaj. In D, that should be F#min, but fret not, the aforementioned D minor pentatonic will work great over that, as D minor is the relative minor of F major. Hope this helps.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, been busy lately. I see this collection of chords as being in the key of D. The first three chords you gave are your traditional I, IV, V chords, all though in a different order. You can play diatonically with the notes of D major over those three chords. Also, for a blues effect, you can play D minor pentatonic over those chords. Now looking at the second three chords you listed, you see we already have the G & A. Odd to this is the Fmaj. In D, that should be F#min, but fret not, the aforementioned D minor pentatonic will work great over that, as D minor is the relative minor of F major. Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks taking the time to reply! It does help to see how you looked at it and put it into the context you did. This is exactly what I am trying to learn and understand... and exactly why I try to play over random backing tracks in odd keys and modes. I'll definitely grab my guitar when I get home today and give it another go... Thanks!!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Probably "extended jamming" more than looping. Most of the guy's tracks are around 10 minutes long... Good quality tracks with usually two different sections to spice them up a bit, but now that I've been jamming with several of them they seem to be a little bland. Most a re really good tracks... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqA...-C9roOB4vgzROA
A direct link to the music in question is always very helpful.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A direct link to the music in question is always very helpful.

I tried to find it on youtube, but all I could find is a guy playing over it... which I can't listen to or I'll be influenced by what/where he played, lol. Here is his bandcamp page, it is the 1st track, "Ethereal Chill - A Major". I bought his entire collection, just to support the guy and have 450+ misc backing tracks to goof around with and stretch my comfort zone. I usually browse around, but when I loaded the collection into windows music player it automatically started playing the 1st track... so after tuning the SZ320 I just went with it... :-)

https://elevatedjamtracks.bandcamp.c...ted-jam-tracks

Sometimes I wish we would start up the old "Jemsite Guitar Challenge" like we used to do. Having to record guitar along with a particular backing track each month really forced me to learn a lot.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM

How did the “Jemsite Guitar Challenge” work? Where did the backing tracks come from?
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How did the “Jemsite Guitar Challenge” work? Where did the backing tracks come from?

It was a few years ago... There would be a backing track posted monthly that you could record yourself playing over and post a link to it. Then there was a poll where you could vote on the one you liked best and give feedback, etc... It was pretty low key and friendly. I helped keep it going for a while because it helped me so much. I had never really tried to play my own thing up to that point, so it was a crash course in improvisation. We usually got the backing tracks from some free site or youtube. If you do a search on "jemsite guitar challenge" up above you'll see some of the old posts and polls.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Your idea is good but I think it would need to be modified to attract enough interest to make it worth it. I say this because we all learn from each other which requires at least a handful (or two) of guitarists participating, especially on the internet.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your idea is good but I think it would need to be modified to attract enough interest to make it worth it. I say this because we all learn from each other which requires at least a handful (or two) of guitarists participating, especially on the internet.
It was a good thing for me... I had to buy some things and learn how to record guitar on a pc, learn how to improvise, learn how to post it to soundcloud, etc... Sure helped me learn a lot though, with help from other guys on there. Thankfully everyone was pretty cool and didn't maker fun of my remedial recordings... Especially with entries from really good players and quality recordings, like Craig Shutt.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
It was a good thing for me... I had to buy some things and learn how to record guitar on a pc, learn how to improvise, learn how to post it to soundcloud, etc... Sure helped me learn a lot though, with help from other guys on there. Thankfully everyone was pretty cool and didn't maker fun of my remedial recordings...
I did not know you learned how to record in the process. That does constitute as learning a lot!
One last thing to clarify, was the Jemsite Guitar Challenge a competition that a person could “win” or more importantly “lose?”
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I did not know you learned how to record in the process. That does constitute as learning a lot!
One last thing to clarify, was the Jemsite Guitar Challenge a competition that a person could “win” or more importantly “lose?”
Yes, there was a "winner". Basically how it worked was like this; it was a monthly thing. At the beginning of the month, the person heading up the challenge would post some choices for backing tracks and people would provide feedback on what they'd prefer. The most popular track was picked, then all participants had until the end of the month to submit an entry. After that, there was a vote and the submission with the highest vote total won. There were no prizes or anything, though. What I found really interesting was how differently all of the players approached the same track. It was really neat insight into everyone's creative process.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

The intent was not really to have a competition, as the reply above said... It was more of a fun/learning/feedback kind of thing.

I've been trying to get myself to do it on my own lately, but have trouble sticking with a track long enough and end up giving up. I didn't play much for a the last couple of years, but my wife bought me a new interface and mic for recording. So I'm trying to get better at recording guitar and improve my playing, but feeling stuck in a rut at the moment and getting frustrated. The guitar challenge made me stick with it long enough to get some real benefit... despite the remedial recording and guitar work.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The intent was not really to have a competition, as the reply above said... It was more of a fun/learning/feedback kind of thing.

I've been trying to get myself to do it on my own lately, but have trouble sticking with a track long enough and end up giving up. I didn't play much for a the last couple of years, but my wife bought me a new interface and mic for recording. So I'm trying to get better at recording guitar and improve my playing, but feeling stuck in a rut at the moment and getting frustrated. The guitar challenge made me stick with it long enough to get some real benefit... despite the remedial recording and guitar work.
That type of musical camaraderie is impressive and kind of rare.

Without incentive or constructive feedback, it is really easy to get stuck in a rut especially on your own. In golf, every player on the PGA tour has a swing coach. The swing coach is probably not a better golfer but they know how to work with these golfers on their swing by either improving it or changing it. A golfer’s swing always needs refinement. No one has a perfect swing...

Music is the same way but there is a traditional hierarchy of “teacher>student” which is necessary for a long time, but eventually, teachers become more effective as coaches or mentors. Unfortunately, this idea is not very common amongst adult musicians so very few people ever coach or receive the benefits of being coached.

One way to get out of a rut is to have someone pull you out. This is what a “music coach” would essentially do.
FireEagle likes this.

Tags
key question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode