What key is this? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,931
Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
That type of musical camaraderie is impressive and kind of rare.

Without incentive or constructive feedback, it is really easy to get stuck in a rut especially on your own. In golf, every player on the PGA tour has a swing coach. The swing coach is probably not a better golfer but they know how to work with these golfers on their swing by either improving it or changing it. A golfer’s swing always needs refinement. No one has a perfect swing...

Music is the same way but there is a traditional hierarchy of “teacher>student” which is necessary for a long time, but eventually, teachers become more effective as coaches or mentors. Unfortunately, this idea is not very common amongst adult musicians so very few people ever coach or receive the benefits of being coached.

One way to get out of a rut is to have someone pull you out. This is what a “music coach” would essentially do.

Yeah, I think you are right... and I am a bit isolated here. I don't know any other musicians or anything like that. I did take some lessons and am still friends with a local guitar tech (and dynamite player, RJ with Supersonic Music). I just couldn't justify $30 for 30 minutes one day a week. I told my wife we'd live here for 5 years and move back to AZ... but next month it will be 21 years. If I ever get back home I can use my dad as a mentor/coach. Thanks for the insight!
FireEagle is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,243
Reviews: 2
Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Yeah, I think you are right... and I am a bit isolated here. I don't know any other musicians or anything like that. I did take some lessons and am still friends with a local guitar tech (and dynamite player, RJ with Supersonic Music). I just couldn't justify $30 for 30 minutes one day a week. I told my wife we'd live here for 5 years and move back to AZ... but next month it will be 21 years. If I ever get back home I can use my dad as a mentor/coach. Thanks for the insight!
Do you have a looper pedal? I ask because I feel that's one of the better instructional tools technology has given us. Playing to someone else's backing tracks has its advantages, but nothing helps understanding harmony and melody like creating everything yourself. Picking the chords and understanding their intervals helps immensely with improvisation. And Loopers are great for the creative process, as well. And sure, one could do all this in their DAW, but the ease and convenience of a looper puts it out in front for me. Often times, I'm just jamming and don't want to be bothered with the PC. With the looper on my board, it's just on and go.
therightjem is offline  
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 882
Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Do you have a looper pedal? I ask because I feel that's one of the better instructional tools technology has given us. Playing to someone else's backing tracks has its advantages, but nothing helps understanding harmony and melody like creating everything yourself. Picking the chords and understanding their intervals helps immensely with improvisation. And Loopers are great for the creative process, as well. And sure, one could do all this in their DAW, but the ease and convenience of a looper puts it out in front for me. Often times, I'm just jamming and don't want to be bothered with the PC. With the looper on my board, it's just on and go.
The first song I made up and recorded is made entirely of layered loops. It is called Mr. Duck is Suspicious of You so He Scares You Away from His Pond. I found a picture of a duck that, to me, looks kind of angry so I thought the listener needs to be looking at the picture of the duck while they listen to the music. The song makes no sense until the 8th loop starts, then, everything comes together. Looping can be great for the creative process. I used it more as therapy.
.
FireEagle likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,931
Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Do you have a looper pedal? I ask because I feel that's one of the better instructional tools technology has given us. Playing to someone else's backing tracks has its advantages, but nothing helps understanding harmony and melody like creating everything yourself. Picking the chords and understanding their intervals helps immensely with improvisation. And Loopers are great for the creative process, as well. And sure, one could do all this in their DAW, but the ease and convenience of a looper puts it out in front for me. Often times, I'm just jamming and don't want to be bothered with the PC. With the looper on my board, it's just on and go.

My Boss ME-80 pedal does have a looper function, however it is not very easy or convenient to use. You lose the much of the functionality of the processor when using that part. I have tried it though and I can see what you mean, although getting the timing right is very difficult. From what I understand, a dedicated looper pedal is much easier to use.


I also tried a Digitech Trio pedal, that I thought would be beneficial in the same manner. It turns out that it would not loop your rhythm, but would add bass and drums after learning your progression. It works pretty good, but I see now they have updated it and added a looper function and it is a much better product! I have not used the Trio as much as I thought I would. It's pretty cool, but man... the bass lines it generates can get pretty crazy. It's like jamming with Jaco Pastorius! Hard to dial it back enough to keep it from taking over.


Lately I've mostly been playing along with backing tracks of various kinds as well as some synthwave/retrowave stuff. I enjoy it as a learning tool, just hard to get out of the rut of playing in the same areas/scales that I'm comfortable with. Been trying to learn a more melodic approach to improvisation (through youtube lessons/tutorials) the last few days and it's been somewhat beneficial already. Paying more attention to the chord tones as opposed to improvising in the overall key.


Thanks for the advice... I have a bunch of stuff that I don't use much, if I can sell some things locally I may pick up a dedicated looper pedal. Any recommendations?
FireEagle is online  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,243
Reviews: 2
Re: What key is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
My Boss ME-80 pedal does have a looper function, however it is not very easy or convenient to use. You lose the much of the functionality of the processor when using that part. I have tried it though and I can see what you mean, although getting the timing right is very difficult. From what I understand, a dedicated looper pedal is much easier to use.


I also tried a Digitech Trio pedal, that I thought would be beneficial in the same manner. It turns out that it would not loop your rhythm, but would add bass and drums after learning your progression. It works pretty good, but I see now they have updated it and added a looper function and it is a much better product! I have not used the Trio as much as I thought I would. It's pretty cool, but man... the bass lines it generates can get pretty crazy. It's like jamming with Jaco Pastorius! Hard to dial it back enough to keep it from taking over.


Lately I've mostly been playing along with backing tracks of various kinds as well as some synthwave/retrowave stuff. I enjoy it as a learning tool, just hard to get out of the rut of playing in the same areas/scales that I'm comfortable with. Been trying to learn a more melodic approach to improvisation (through youtube lessons/tutorials) the last few days and it's been somewhat beneficial already. Paying more attention to the chord tones as opposed to improvising in the overall key.


Thanks for the advice... I have a bunch of stuff that I don't use much, if I can sell some things locally I may pick up a dedicated looper pedal. Any recommendations?
I use a TC Electronic Ditto, the original small one. Its selling point is its ease of use. One button does it all. It's great for everything I mentioned before. Its drawback is that it doesn't store loops (other than the current one). I'd really like that feature for gigs. I think Boss makes a straightforward looper that can store like 100 loops.
FireEagle likes this.
therightjem is offline  
Reply

Tags
key question

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
allen key holder on back of headstock? Dave Goodland Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 10 01-04-2010 08:44 PM
How do i distungish what key things are in ? Anton Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 6 11-29-2002 11:28 AM
Where can I buy the allen key holder for back of headstock? Rotti Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 12 10-28-2002 03:52 PM
MIDI-key change in Logic audio LennyNero Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 10-28-2002 07:01 AM
The Key - The Edge one doesnt work... julio Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 8 07-21-2001 11:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome