What scales to use over this progression? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

What scales to use over this progression?

The progression is:
dminor , Cmaj ,Ebmaj ,Dbmajor then Fminor to Ebmaj.
I have to play over this progression for a minute or so due to a trumpet player temporarily opting out of the solo section. So I have a General idea what to play thanks to the caged method but I feel like i'm missing something so any info is greatly appreciated. I also have no way to practice this progression on my own besides improvising on the spot with the rest of the jazzband. makes me wish I had a looper pedal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Re: What scales to use over this progression?

Lots of options. The simplest thing I can think of would be either D dorian/C major scale....or D minor/C mixolydian over the first two chords. Then for the rest of the chords (Ebmaj ,Dbmajor, Fminor) you could play an F minor scale.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Lots of options. The simplest thing I can think of would be either D dorian/C major scale....or D minor/C mixolydian over the first two chords. Then for the rest of the chords (Ebmaj ,Dbmajor, Fminor) you could play an F minor scale.
ill give it a shot using the dminor over the C and D and use the Fminor scale. this is a latin jazz jam and i'm not familiar when it comes to playing in this style so i'm a bit lost.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Over the Dbmaj, you could alsoplay play Bb minor.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Over the Dbmaj, you could alsoplay play Bb minor.
hmm why might that scale work over a dmaj? is that due to the Bbminor being a relative minor?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzUniverze View Post
hmm why might that scale work over a dminor? is that due to the Bbminor being a relative major?

I'm not sure you understood. Bb minor can be played over Dbmaj, not D minor. But yes, Bb minor is the relative minor of Db major.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
ill give it a shot using the dminor over the C and D and use the Fminor scale. this is a latin jazz jam and i'm not familiar when it comes to playing in this style so i'm a bit lost.
Just my 2 cents, and I'm not very experienced... but I would listen to a lot of similar style music, just to get a feel for the timing and phrasing. That way you can also see what scales or modes others play over that style of music to get the right "feel".
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The progression is:
dminor , Cmaj ,Ebmaj ,Dbmajor then Fminor to Ebmaj.
I have to play over this progression for a minute or so due to a trumpet player temporarily opting out of the solo section. So I have a General idea what to play thanks to the caged method but I feel like i'm missing something so any info is greatly appreciated. I also have no way to practice this progression on my own besides improvising on the spot with the rest of the jazzband. makes me wish I had a looper pedal
Is there any way you can plug your guitar into your computer? It'll sound like crap, but you can record your guitar direct just to get the chord changes out there, then loop it and jam along to it. If you need a DAW, Reaper is great, and free to try.

As for soloing over this, I think I'll need to hear it, as I don't really have the best handle on how this is resolving, just reading the chords. This is a jazz standard I assume? What's the name of the standard? I'll pull up a chord chart tonight if I can, but if not I'll just sit down with a guitar tonight and see if I can get my head around on what's resolving to what.

For now, I assume these are all 7th chords? So, when you write Cmaj, it's a Cmaj7, and Dminor is really a Dm7?

It's not a simple progression, I don't think you can do it with a single scale. This might be why the trumpet player opted out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 PM

I would think like this:
Dm7 - Cmaj = group 1
Ebmaj - Dbmaj = group 2
Fm7 - Ebmaj = group 1

Group 1 is minor to major, group 2 is major to major.

I would make sure to know when the Ebmaj (group 2) is played, for me that's the odd one in the party. I would most likely not think scales over this, I would prefer to play by ear. (I prefer not to think scales at all when improvising.)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I would think like this:
Dm7 - Cmaj = group 1
Ebmaj - Dbmaj = group 2
Fm7 - Ebmaj = group 1

Group 1 is minor to major, group 2 is major to major.

I would make sure to know when the Ebmaj (group 2) is played, for me that's the odd one in the party. I would most likely not think scales over this, I would prefer to play by ear. (I prefer not to think scales at all when improvising.)
your on the track with the groupings idea and ordinarily I would play more by ear however this piece would sound odd in comparison to the other soloist and since this will be performed in front of a live audience I dont wanna sound to outta the box...which I tend to do more than i should. and plus i'm not a latin jazz player so this is already outta the box for me
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Is there any way you can plug your guitar into your computer? It'll sound like crap, but you can record your guitar direct just to get the chord changes out there, then loop it and jam along to it. If you need a DAW, Reaper is great, and free to try.

As for soloing over this, I think I'll need to hear it, as I don't really have the best handle on how this is resolving, just reading the chords. This is a jazz standard I assume? What's the name of the standard? I'll pull up a chord chart tonight if I can, but if not I'll just sit down with a guitar tonight and see if I can get my head around on what's resolving to what.

For now, I assume these are all 7th chords? So, when you write Cmaj, it's a Cmaj7, and Dminor is really a Dm7?

It's not a simple progression, I don't think you can do it with a single scale. This might be why the trumpet player opted out.
The name of the song is Morocco and it is by Russ Freeman. It is a jazz latin jam which features three soloist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7buwY-n6e4E
this is the closest I could get to a recording with a similar setup and band size to the one i'm performing with. Sadly I dont have DAW (had garageband got erased) and I no longer own my line 6 pod. I can try and perhaps photocopy and upload the piece or perhaps notate it somehow but that might take some finagling.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:08 PM

This is how I would approach it:

As two different sections as stated above-

dminor , Cmaj ,- D Dorian over the Dm- C Major (ionian) over the C- it's the same scale- just different target notes over each chord. Concentrate on the chord tones for each change and it should sound perfect.
Ebmaj ,Dbmajor then Fminor to Ebmaj. I'd play Eb Mixolydian (F Natural Minor) over all of this-- it's all diatonic to E Mixolydia (F Natural Minor-Aolean) so you don't have to change the scale at all- it would "sound" like Eb Mixolydian- Db Lydian- F Natural Minor- especially since it comes back to that Eb- almost sounds like it's own little section/song on those 4 chords.

The key is to figure out what notes are shared between those two scales and target them for the change over- let's look:
C Major Scale = C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
E Mixolydian (F Natural Minor Scale) = Eb- F-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb

So the shared tones are C- F- & G- that's what's shared between them so when you change from C major to E Mixolydian you can target the C Major Arpeggio then change to C minor and work from that into your Eb Mixolydian- or whatever but understand that when the Eb chord comes around the C major tonality shifts to minor

Last edited by SRVYJM; 10-02-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: more insight

Tags
ibanez , lespaul , theory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode