what song do you play in stores? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Question what song do you play in stores?

i didn't really know where to put this topic, anyways. When you go to a store to try out a guitar what do you guys play? do you play songs? [this is actually pretty stupid, (i have nothing to do at 4 in the morning)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:28 AM

Re: what song do you play in stores?

Well I usually warm up then play eruption, stairway to heaven, cliffs of dover, and smoke on the water just to piss the clerks off, but seriously I just jam out, I love when I get offered jobs teaching
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:22 AM

The other day, I played Concerto by Cacophony on an SG while trying out a DSL100.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:28 AM

I generally just jam out as well. Although recently I have been known to play parts of Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, Raining Blood, Sweet Child 'O Mine, and As I Am (I love playing the last song the most right now because I just learned it well enough to play and the riffs are really fun).
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:47 AM

:sheepish:

Mary Had A Little Lamb
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Mostly Slayer riffs really. The main stuff being Raining Blood, Skeletons of Society, Dead Skin Mask. Then theres all the Metallica stuff as well like Master of Puppets, One, Wherever I May Roam, Seek & Destroy, Leper Messiah, Creeping Death.......the list goes on. It all depends on what I am trying out in the store really.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:26 AM

those are the people that people hate in music stores^^
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 34

I always play Spinal Tap, and then just a few exercises and some sweep picking stuff. Also, I always play something I have written as well. The point for me is to actually test the equipment, without looking like I am trying to impress anyone. I was in this shop collecting a couple of guitars that were being restrung, and one of the younger guys was asking something like "you're the guy with that pink guitar", and I'm like "yar, I am very rock, worship me, here sonny try it out if you like, then have a go on my jem". Dripping with wannabe rock star charm. So this kid (and by the way he was the most unassuming, nicest guy you could ever want to meet) picks up the guitar and absolutely blows everyone in the shop away, he was awesome, so clean, so fast, great tone from his fingers, and great feel. S. I look at my tech (by this point I am feeling like a complete n~bhead for being soooo arrogant) and he just looks back and says "I know, I hate him too". The moral of the story is never show off, there is always a nicer guy who is a better player.

I have been a regular at the same sshop for a while, so I tend to play something that the guys in there will appreciate. There are no egos in that shop, I get nods of appreciation when it sounds good, or a grimace from my Tech when it sounds bad (often), but never any attitude. Never the "I could of played that better" look. You know the one I mean. In fact I will either try and learn what the guys are playing, or vice versa.

But in every shop I always play Spinal Tap's "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock Ya"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:59 PM

Zap by Eric Johnson normally. If that with all its contortionist like fretboard movements doesn't work on the guitar, and I can't get a decent tone for it, the guitar doesn't suit me.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Reviews: 1

This is funny. I have a fairly recent issue of "GuitarONE" that lists the "Top Ten songs not to play at the Guitar Store". Eruption, Smoke On the Water, Stairway, Sweet Child.....

They're on there (and they're the only songs I practice at home!!!! kidding.)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:46 PM

I just play a series of tapping runs, harmonics, pinch harmonics, fast palm muted riffs and my own solos. Basically, if the guitar won't sound good stock, Ill just pass it up.

I also think that its not good to show off a lot...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:45 PM

I actually like to play those songs that you're not supposed to play in guitar stores for some reason but I don't really know why. I think I actually get more pleasure out of playing my own stuff, but people don't even look at my playing unless I'm playing something that they know.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I usually play something by Rusty Cooley with one hand for the technique and something by Eric Johnson, for the tone with the other hand all at the same time

Ok Ok, usually it depends on what sort of guitar I'm trying, but usually I mess around with the tunes I'm most confortable with. That way I know how the guitar feels, and how it sounds compared to my other guitars.

Like nickcoumbe says, there's always someone better that's either in the shop at the time or who was there earlier that day, so you'll not succeed at doing anything except making a fool of yourself.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 PM

I usually play Stairway to Heaven, Freebird and Smoke on the Water all the way through for annoyance purposes!

And if they have signs that say "No Stairway, Freebird or Smoke on the Water" then I play the Spirit song "Taurus" which the intro to Stairway was ripped off of.

If I am seriously considering something, I'll try Bozzio Levin Steven's Falling In Circles or Gary Moore's version of The Messiah Will Come Again.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:49 PM

I could've sworn that the intro to Stairway from Heaven came from Beethoven's Fur Elise.

Tags
eric johnson , fender strat , gary moore , john mayer , music store , palm mute , pinch harmonics , rusty cooley , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode