what to teach an eight year old? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

what to teach an eight year old?

well I have never taught anybody and this would be my first "student", I am not a professional player but i don't know waht to teach an eight year old. Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Re: what to teach an eight year old?

Well, chords first of all...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 PM

Well with a child that young I would want to teach them stuff that they like listening to, so start off with riffs from songs that the kid likes (whether it be Metallica or Barney or whatever, it CAN be played on guitar). This not only will keep the child interested but will also help to teach them things like chord progressions and eventually scales, modes and arpeggios.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 PM

I agree with lyconxero - Teach the kid what He/She finds interesting. I think listening to guys like Vai, Satriani, Gabrels, or [insert the name here] teaches us that formal training is something that can greatly improve your playing, but by all means, it is the passion and the intensity of the player that makes a great guitarist.

At eight, depending on the child, chords or complete songs may ok. At that age, I think I just liked the way it sounded when Brian May did a bend (does that date me??).

Have fun!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 AM

depends on how good he or she is, what does he already know chords for the first thing
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, so just teach him a couple of easy songs they like right? and some chords, what about exercises? Are there any specific exercises that would help the kid develop their playing?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:17 AM

do the 1234 exercise get there fingers going pinky too
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 AM

My first student was a 9 yr old and I started by just asking what he wanted to learn. It was mainly Creed songs. I would show him what he wanted to learn while getting in chords and notes. Now it has been just over a year and that same student has taught himself Stairway to Heaven without my help. I'm like a proud parent -- but I've made him promise to NEVER play that song in a music store as he may feel the wrath of Wayne and Garth.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:52 AM

yeah no stair way to heaven
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarshredder7
yeah no stair way to heaven

Regards

André

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 AM

I've read many times that Satch - as teacher - would recommend teaching the student exactly the kind of music they are into.

I would concur, if they have a passion for the instrument, then no matter what style or form of music they are into, go there first and meet them at their level of reality. This inspiration is a wonderful beautiful thing, ride with it, and show them what a guitar can do.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

what level are they? teach them melody, rhythm, songs (they like) and accompanment (being able to play along with you and vice versa).

if you jump into theory, scales, etc. interest will be quickly lost. keep it fun... glen
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 PM

I agree with glen. I have taken some courses for 2 months and the guy mainly showed me theory stuff. I found that I cannot study the stuff he gave me. I could play them alright but the "vibe" was not there when I was working with him. I would come home and try to learn some satch songs on my own and wouldn't study what he gave until the last day. So make the thing fun for the little guy.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

oh ok thnks again. And one more thing. I see some people teach their students firs with acoustic guitar. With what should he start, Acoustic/Electric, Pick/no pick
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

whatever is more comfortable to play... glen

Tags
acoustic guitar , chord progression , chord progressions , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode