What was your favorite G3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Fry

What was your favorite G3

I have not been in the guitar scene all that long so I was wondering what your favorite G3 was. (I don't even know how many there have been) It seems like most people don't like Yngwie in G3, but I thought he did pretty well. I liked him more than Eric Johnson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Petrucci, hands down. Probably doesn't hurt that it was the only one I saw live, too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Petrucci, totally. WhyTF did they release a DVD w/ Malmsteen when JP was way more interesting? Oh well.

At least there's a new DT DVD coming out soon, and a JP solo CD!!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 AM

ditto. Screw the DVD, i was hoping for at l;east a CD. did they just not record this one?

I don't know if it's allowable to discuss this here, so mods feel free to clip this out if need be, but does anyone have a really good bootleg of that tour? If i can't get an official CD, that's the next ebst thing... I've got a rather bad one- listenable, but very clearly a "guy in the crowd with a minidisc" recording, and the beginning of one of petrucci's songs is drowned out by an exchange between the friend of mine iw as with who recorded it and the drunks behind us... hey, it was new york.

-D
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:45 AM

I digged 97 with eric johnson , I can remember I was 10 or something , I got dragged there kicking and screaming So i never really enjoyed the concert that much but when I watch the dvd now , it's a kick ass set
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 1
It is a toss up between EJ and YJM for me.
Petrucci didn't do it for me.
I'm a huge DT fan, but I wasn't impressed with what he came up with for the show. EJ has been a solo artist for years as was YJM, so they both had their own material that had seen airplay, built a following etc.
More gratifying to se IMO.

Bamm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 12:45 PM

Reviews: 5
definately the Eric Johson one. He brought more substance to the bluesy stuff, and his sound was a welcome rest in between Joe and Steve. With Yngwie and JP, it was another guy shredding over chords. That's great, but to be honest, Joe does it with more groove and fun- and Vai does it with more creativity and emotion. So what you're left with is a boring part in the middle that I skip over on DVD. EJ didn't try to be them. He didn't shred non-stop, even though he's got a tremendous amount of skill.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 PM

Another vote for Petrucci and another vote for 'why didn't they release a dvd of that year!?!'
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 PM

see, there were two things that floored me about thwe petrucci set- his tone, and the compositions.

-D
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
definately the Eric Johson one. He brought more substance to the bluesy stuff, and his sound was a welcome rest in between Joe and Steve. With Yngwie and JP, it was another guy shredding over chords. That's great, but to be honest, Joe does it with more groove and fun- and Vai does it with more creativity and emotion. So what you're left with is a boring part in the middle that I skip over on DVD. EJ didn't try to be them. He didn't shred non-stop, even though he's got a tremendous amount of skill.

i'm with you pal.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 03:27 PM

i liked yngwie the least, simply because I don't think he works as well in a jam. Eric Johnson and Petrucci seem a lot more 'generous'. I love EJ's stuff but from what little bootleg material I have I would say Petrucci would be the best for me. He worked so well in the jam sections.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 PM

Petrucci, Vai, Satriani.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 06:29 AM

JP, SV, JS.. mainly because those are my main 3 influences.

Yngwie i cant stand..
Eric Johnson amazing but not my cup of tea.

Fripp in the UK in a month or so.. interesting to see cant wait.

Tags
eric johnson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

favorite steinberger trem?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode