When and how do you tend to write and come up with stuff? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

When and how do you tend to write and come up with stuff?

When and how do you tend to write and come up with stuff?

I seem to come up with riffs periodically and then go an a riffing binge, fueled by caffeine, and sometimes a little drink (spirits and coke(not the powder...)) and then jam away untill i have something, problem is that creativity is uaually at it's best in the early hours of the morn and late evening...

Usually it is all sparked off by one little melody, and then riffs behind it, after which sometimes nothing is left of the original idea, all the time drums get programmed and keys etc added for atmosphear and then changed again and again untill something just "works" in terms of feel

What about everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:42 PM

Cool thread...

I do my best work when I have deadlines. If I don't have a deadline I'll sit on things forever! Thankfully at this point in my life I don't really ever have trouble writing, I have trouble letting ideas go and acknowledging them as a completed peice.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:56 PM
OME

Reviews: 6
Wot up 7?

Usually my ideas hit me when I'm nowhere close to my guitar so I
have to rely on the melody in my head until I make it to the axe.

Other times I just sit down and jam, Most of the time when I jam I
can come up with 2 or 3 different song riffs. I always wind up morphing
the riffs together somehow, but I'll choose the best one and
compose a song from there. I also like to sit down at the PC and
begin programming some melodys or drums, then see what the
fingers take me

7 I can't bring myself to compose while drinking cause I can't stay
focused on the music.....the caffeine sitting on the desk gets a better
workout than my strings LOL.....plus I like to meditate while I play
and wander thru my mind, hehe.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm allright A few bevvies does help me relax a bit more, sometimes come up with something by not being able to think straight
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:34 PM

Hey! I read the Guitar World with the COF article in it this morning. Rock!

I get a lot of ideas either picking unplugged late at night, or playing along to drum loops I make in Fruityloops then recording multiple variations of whatever riffs I come up with, so I can sift through them later. Other times I get a lot of song ideas while driving home from work - usually vocal melodies with a few vague 'vowel sounds' that I have to fit words to.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:59 PM

Honestly.

My best ideas for everything, whether its..

....Music related, business related, relationship related or whatever come from 4 places.

1) On the toilet
2) In the shower
3) In dreams / middle of the night thoughts
4) Playing on the edge of my bed unplugged, wife asleep beside me at about 1-3 am.

This is a cool thread....I am very interested to here other members responses.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie

I get a lot of ideas either picking unplugged late at night
bingo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 08:15 AM

i always get my best ideas in my head as i am drifting off to sleep. The annoying thing is that by then it is too late to work it out, and i inevitably forget most of it come the next morning. Other than that I find i can just jam around for a few hours and come out with a few things.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 1
2 days ago I came up with something as I was just waking from a deep sleep. I wrote it all down and it turned out pretty good.

Normally I come up with ideas while in the car.
A riff will inspire something or me not hearing something correctly will spark a new idea. I call my voice mail and hum / sing the line or lyric and then see how I can use it later. I have a hard drive half full of riffs and vocal lines and keyboard progressions / riffs that are all waiting for me to put them into use.

Bamm
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM

When?

Every waking moment.

How?

By any means necessary.

Many before me have sat at their desk (Wagner, Hindemith) and many have sat at the piano (Stravinsky, Ravel) while other sit in a studio (Adams). Wanting and needing to write music so desperately has me taking any approach I can to put things onto paper.

Maybe that's why I'm so tired all the time.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
I have a hard drive half full of riffs and vocal lines and keyboard progressions / riffs that are all waiting for me to put them into use.

Bamm
I have a whole load of guitar pro / sibelius files similar to this, recently a whole load of them got put into a film score I was writing (for music A level) which was surprising as I didnt see them fitting it, but they just fell in.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 06:23 PM

i dont know how to write....
i try and i try and every time its just a slightly different version of a song ive heard before...

oh well...someday
Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode