Where the wild things are - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Where the wild things are

Hey Everybody

Just Pre-ordered The ' where the wild things are' Dvd and just out of curiosity wanted to see how many others have pre-ordered it.
an addition to getting it early , all pre ordered copies get autographed by Steve

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM

Re: Where the wild things are

I'll be ordering 2, but haven't ordered them yet. A buddy of mine got me great tickets for this tour in Atlantic City so I'm grabbing one for him as well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Reviews: 10

ive had it for about a week and a half now and its really really awesome =D
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 59

I've been listening to the digital download (purchased legally with the pre-order bundle) and I have to say, the classic violin tones sound decent and, while strange in Vai's music, I mostly like it. I don't dig the distorted violin tones at all. It just doesn't sound good to me even if I can appreciate the technical prowess. I'd rather they keep the tones violins more natural (some distortion is ok) than try to make them brutal. Still, I like the album stuff I've heard so far and am really looking forward to the dvd release. My 2 cents.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:16 AM

I've got the DVD (promo copy for review, as I'm interviewing Steve some time soon) and it's really good - I like it much more than the Astoria DVD. The cinematography is great and the mix is really good (though once again the rhythm guitar is far too faint - why does Steve do that on all his live recordings?). Haven't watched it all yet as I only got it yesterday and have to fit my viewing in between fatherly duties!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 AM

Methinks we need to get Ann Marie Calhoun posting here on the forums
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Im form Argentina, so, I have to wait a more longer to buy it!!!

Men, Steve Vai is my GOD, my reason to listen instrumental music, and my everything!!!!
I cant wait to see Steve in Buenos Aires!!!! Im going to buy the Evo-Experience ticket!!! OWWOWOWOWO and I would ask to god if He can sign my leg where is my Real Illusions tattoo!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
I've got the DVD (promo copy for review, as I'm interviewing Steve some time soon) and it's really good - I like it much more than the Astoria DVD. The cinematography is great and the mix is really good (though once again the rhythm guitar is far too faint - why does Steve do that on all his live recordings?). Haven't watched it all yet as I only got it yesterday and have to fit my viewing in between fatherly duties!
The DVD looks better that the Astoria you're right ... but it's something like 9 years later, isn't it , i think everyone is watching Astoria so many many times and there's nothing new for eveyone now...

We have to wait October 16th to get the dvd in France
But i don't know you guys but i found that bass guitar sound is really too high on youtube videos !!! it is too much. is it the same case when you're watching the DVD for the people who already get it ?

manta.

PS : this acrylic Jem is very beautiful after considerate it ( i didn't like it when it came out on store at the beginning).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 AM

I have missed this completely. Is it something good? I have lost all interest in Vai since Fire Garden, I bought some of the later albums but I can't find it interesting anymore. Is this worth checking out or is it still "the new Vai"?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I have missed this completely. Is it something good? I have lost all interest in Vai since Fire Garden, I bought some of the later albums but I can't find it interesting anymore. Is this worth checking out or is it still "the new Vai"?
Its still the "new" Vai with two distorted violins... and almost no Wiener

Regards

André

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 59

Mine came over the weekend while I was out of town but I watched a little of the DVD before crashing last night. I was pumped that it came with two signed Vai booklets. I saw up through Tender Surrender and I have to say that I like it. So far, very little Dave and that saddens me but the DVD 5.1 mix is, IMHO, better than the digital download. The violins add an interesting element without becoming too distracting. You knew Steve wouldn't let that happen. I like it the cinematography a lot better than Astoria, much less helter-skelter but still very Vai. Highly Recommended thus far although I haven't had the time/energy to watch the entire concert, that'll be later today.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 1

I pre-ordered my signed copy from the Vai site and it arrived from America to England in under 2 days by FEDEX. Excellent service and excellent DVD. All I can say is buy it now.....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 1

Got the pre-ordered dvd today. I've only seen the first disc but so far it looks very good. Excellent quality. It's quite noticable that it's been a couple of years since the Astoria show came out. A lot more "up to date" if that's the way to put it.
I agree there's not too much Wiener in there, except for a couple of places where it's absolutely needed. Vai's prensence in the sound picture is very dominant, as of always with a dvd featuring Steve.
Anyways i'm very satisfied so far. I like the fact that there's a commentary track and a nice booklet with it. You know what you get when it's Vai, a well-crafted product.

Tags
dvd , ibanez , jem , steve , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode