wheres your left thumb(right thumb for the lefties) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

wheres your left thumb(right thumb for the lefties)

i had a lesson once where the guy said i should keep my thumb in the center of the neck...well 1 yr later i decided to watch peeople playing and i noticed the fastest players i know of normally have there thumb at the top of the neck...so how do you do it?

and another thing how do you hold your pick? i cant find anyway comfortable the only way thats halfway decent is having it slanted towards the bridge and picking it on a slight angle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 07:56 PM

I used to try and play with my thumb behind the neck, now I've started playing with my thumb over the neck more often (although I do switch positions, e.g. when going for 3-5-7 on the low E)

As for holding my pick.
I close my index + thumb down on it in a natural position, as if going to clench a fist or something I just follow the pattern my fingers want to, and then apply pressure with the end of the finger/thumb at the corner of the nail.
All ends up like making an "OK" sign with my hand
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:09 PM

I tend to hold my thumb behind the center of the neck, but sometimes I loop it over the top for bending, some chords and more pentatonicy bluesy stuff...

Explaining how I pick just takes too much effort....
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 06:53 AM

Aye what he said. thumb along the middle skunk stripe of the neck except for chordy workouts.
For picking i tend to make a fist wih my right and grip the pick between the end of my thumb and the end of my first finger errr if that makes any sense. the closed fingers being always used to mute unplayed strings. mind you it always depend on how many fine ales ive consumed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 12:39 PM

center of the neck for faster runs
Around the neck "Broomhandle" style for bluesier stuff and bends
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:59 PM

I hold my thumb in a natural position, like i'm squeezing the neck between my thumb and forefinger. The thumb generally rests in the middle of the nech. I had to pick up the guitar to realize where I have the thumb - because I really do not think about my thumb placement - what I am saying is that I do what is most comfortable given the situation
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 07:35 PM

I keep my thumb in the center of the neck and my hand pretty much straight no matter what. Sometimes I see guys like Paul Gilbert pivot their wrists when they reach the higher strings, but I can't do it like that. My hand looks the same no matter what I'm playing.

As for the pick, I'd say I hold it pretty much standard, can't really explain that well. My middle, ring and pinky fingers just kinda flow freely, I don't really make a fist or anything.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:35 AM

I think that is you want to be a complete guitar player you have to be able to play both ways and you have to be able to change between the two positions while playing without any change in tone. It's not easy but some things you can only do with your thumb behind the neck and others only with your thumb above it.

My 2 cents.

Tags
higher strings , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode