Who is the Guitar's most valuable endorser? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Who is the Guitar's most valuable endorser?

I'm getting old. I don't keep up with all the latest trends but I was interested to see that Guthrie Govan has "jumped ship" from Suhr guitars to Charvel guitars and is alleged to have a new signature model in the works.

This got me thinking, Guthrie is a huge influence on many shredders but is completely unknown to a lot of the "general public".

So I wondered who as a marketing tool would be of most use to a guitar company? Is it Eric Clapton for his "legacy" or someone like John Mayer for his current accessibility or even someone like Misha Mansoor for his popularity and interactivity with "the kids"?

If you were the number one talent aquisition guy at "Guitar Brand X" who is the one (living) person you would want on your artist roster and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Who is the Guitar's most valuable endorser?

Jono are you asking if I(we) had a big guitar company, which player would be better to "spread" my(our) company name?
If yes, of course as an instrumental guitarist could be Vai or Satch, guitarist in a band could be Petrucci.
I don't have numbers but i think these guys are the most wide world famous, they probably sell more guitars then all others together.
Nobody know Govan here, well only guitarists know him but not all of them.
I never knew a guitarist who wanted to buy a Clapton guitar, of course they do exist but their number is really smaller than players wanting Vai/Satch guitars.
Even though Jems are really expensive here, I keep finding them in places I could never expect, last month I was at a friend of mine wedding part and there was a band playing those crap wedding songs, when I got there, they were playing Besame Mucho(LOL) and guitarist had that blue floral jem, I could bet my soul he doesn't even know who Vai is lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSADBhXBm4

If that was not what you were asking....................sorry

Last edited by 6fingers; 10-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Jono are you asking if I(we) had a big guitar company, which player would be better to "spread" my(our) company name?
If yes, of course as an instrumental guitarist could be Vai or Satch, guitarist in a band could be Petrucci.
I don't have numbers but i think these guys are the most wide world famous, they probably sell more guitars then all others together.
Nobody know Govan here, well only guitarists know him but not all of them.
I never knew a guitarist who wanted to buy a Clapton guitar, of course they do exist but their number is really smaller than players wanting Vai/Satch guitars.
That's exactly what i'm asking, my friend

I always wonder how blinkered I am as to which guitarists' names actually "sell" guitars. For me it was always Satch and Vai, but then these guys are now the "old guys", even James Hetfield will be 50 next year!!!

I wonder if their "all star, old school" value is still worth more today than "new guy from new band I'm too old to have heard of"

Then I thought, regardless of age, who's name on our company website will sell the most guitars. (Assuming the guitars are actually pretty good... )
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

Well those new guys won't be around next year(manner of speaking), even a player like Macalpine don't sell too much(never knew a player wanting a Macalpine guitar).
Of course a new guy can push some buttons of new crowds but like I said, where will they be next year?
Who wants Avenged Sevenfold guitars?(I don't even know if they do exist).
Vai/Satch careers are unbelievable good, what other instrumental guitarist have the same success?
These two are so blessed, ANY guitar company want them, mine too
Let's hear some other opinions.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM

I totaly agree with 6 fingers here. (hey,...thats a first! )
Maybe we can ad Eddie Van Halen a a good 3th? in terms of most selling signature model?
Randy rhoads would be a good one,and Dimebag darrel would be my favorite artist.

Its realy a good question actualy,and i cant come up with any "new" alive guy that can outdo Vai,Satriani.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 37

even dead i bet a jimmy hendrix clone of the woodstock strat would outsell alot of alive artists. especially at a descent, not stupid price.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
even dead i bet a jimmy hendrix clone of the woodstock strat would outsell alot of alive artists. especially at a descent, not stupid price.
Yeah there'd be a run to buy them for a month tops then sells would start to fall, Vai/Satch are selling guitars since the 80's
And you can't compare a dead player with living ones, the majority of people would buy them only because of Hendrix store and not because they really like his guitar and that's why after all those fans have bought his guitar, sells would fall.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Though not as much lately, where I live yamaha endorses "better" known players or guitar teachers locally. Then kids would buy their teachers guitars and yamaha always kept average sales, problem is their current range sucks
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm getting old. I don't keep up with all the latest trends but I was interested to see that Guthrie Govan has "jumped ship" from Suhr guitars to Charvel guitars and is alleged to have a new signature model in the works.

This got me thinking, Guthrie is a huge influence on many shredders but is completely unknown to a lot of the "general public".

So I wondered who as a marketing tool would be of most use to a guitar company? Is it Eric Clapton for his "legacy" or someone like John Mayer for his current accessibility or even someone like Misha Mansoor for his popularity and interactivity with "the kids"?

If you were the number one talent aquisition guy at "Guitar Brand X" who is the one (living) person you would want on your artist roster and why?
interesting Thought ,though I feel you really need to mention a guitar style to pick a player that relates to the genre that will be looking to invest in this particular guitar .

But if the player is good enough ,and has the right promo you can sell anything
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM

Who was the last "real" guitarist to really make it?
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 AM

Reviews: 6

I would says Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Eric johnson, Jimmie Vaughan, EVH, John Mayer, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kirk Hamlett not in any order but this is what I see as the best selling Artist Signature model at Musicians Friend website.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 15

There is a big difference between public popularity and respect from your peers.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Discounting the big 3-5 relics who probably shift more guitars than the rest put together (Clapton, Gilmour, Knopfler et al) I'd want to get Slash on my books if I were a manufacturer. The cognescenti aren't ever going to give him much time but he's instantly recognisable to the wider population and that could be invaluable.

Having said that, I bet Vai and Satch have shifted plenty in their time as they appeal to the enlighted wannabe as well as experienced guitarist. They also appeal to those with disposable income, i.e those folk bought up in the golden age of guitar bands in the 60's, 70's and 80's who are now settled and can indulge in a few retro purchases. Me included, i might add.

Despite this, there are so many brands out there it's hard to see anyone dominating and the boutique thing only furthers this - evidenced by the big manufacturers offering almost boutique options and a multitude of variations on a theme. Fender, I'm looking at you.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Question Re: Who is the Guitar's most valuable endorser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiano View Post
The cognescenti aren't ever going to give him much time but he's instantly recognisable to the wider population and that could be invaluable.
That was one of the things I was wondering about. Does the "instantly recognisable" have have sufficient pull with the masses who are faintly interested in guitar to be "worth more" than the "guitar hero's guitar hero" who is guaranteed to sell a few guitars, but only to super keen fan boys...?
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
That was one of the things I was wondering about. Does the "instantly recognisable" have have sufficient pull with the masses who are faintly interested in guitar to be "worth more" than the "guitar hero's guitar hero" who is guaranteed to sell a few guitars, but only to super keen fan boys...?
Well I'd never buy a guitar because my tastes about a player, I try it and if I like it, I buy it no matter who is behind that model.
Vai and Satch models allow you to play any style you want, their pups can handle from pristine clean to metal stuff so they're very versatile.
Some guitarists have more appeal among young rockers, the majority of pro musicians don't care about rock stars, they care about quality of music.
Yep fanboys will buy their guitar idols but who keeps buying guitars?
Musicians and not fanboys.Fanboys could buy 2-3-5 guitars and keep them in their houses not showing them at the stages and making more wanting to buy them, but musicians keep buying guitars their entire lives and showing them at the stages, so the more versatile a guitar is, the more musicians will want it.
Example = You could release a Hendrix model and in the first year sell about 1000, 900 to fanboys and 100 to musicians who not only love Hendrix but love Fender too.Vai and Satch are selling guitars since the 90's and I already seen their guitars in almost every style out there, from reggae and blues to metal, fanboys are attached to lookings, I already heard a lot of them saying JEMs can't play blues cause they're connected to Vai's music, they don't match(visually) to a blues player, some said Strats can't play metal cause they don't match(visually) to metal etc, musicians don't care about that stuff, if they like a guitar, they'll play it no matter if its lookings match or not a style of music.I remember back to 2004, I was in studio recording guitars for a pop rock band which their guitarist got out right before they start recording but they had demo recordings so the owner of that studio called me to record all guitars.I was recording rhythm guitars with a wine Jackson jdr94, bassist of that band came to the studio and when I stopped to say hello, he asked me with a strange face if my guitar could play pop rock?
I asked "why not?"
He replied "because it's a metal guitar".

Anyway having new players/bands is good to spread a brand among yourgsters but if you want a solid brand, BIG musicians like Vai and Satch are a must

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode