Who are today's guitar heroes? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM

Re: Who are today's guitar heroes?

oh I am so a guitar hero lol. No, I say Guthrie and Dave Weiner are the only ones that really come to mind. Who knows maybe someone will show up out of nowhere or maybe I'll get somewhere in the music industry (after I have a well paying job with a good degree that is)
I would like to see more bass heroes like Jaco, but I see better odds of a great guitarist coming since a lot of people at least try to play guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Reviews: 25

fact is during the 80's, it was cool to be into guitarists like Vai and satriani who played only instrumental music. Boy was I in love with them as a teen, but now days, it seems the reason why guitar is back in trends is more due to the fact that metal is back in a big way, and that requires skill on the guitar.
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Smile Re: Who are today's guitar heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledToArms View Post
and remember, just because corporate radio/most available music is crappy these days doesnt mean there arent TONS of good bands and guitar players in the underground. i probably purchased 20GB of new albums last year alone of bands that you would never hear on the radio that i enjoyed.
It's true, it's cooler nowadays to listen to non-commercial unsung bands.

Anyways here are some thoughts:

One way to look at this is to take into consideration the "cycle" that will be created based on the "artist-listener effect". Check out John Mayer. Probably, people nowadays might not be listening to music that has blues roots in it and I do believe that John's music catered in a new generation of nu-blues lovers. Plus, I'm sure someday somebody will mention his name as one of their inspirations or list him in their top 10 guitarist list.

If Generalized: It as kind of like a cycle thing. Somebody started playing and record something, influence somebody and then the later starts recording something different, influence someone else who will in the future inspire someone else!

Admit it guys, we all always want to look cool holding the guitar like some guitar hero (...)
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 PM

I think they're too many good players nowadays. Compared to the time which Mr vai, yngwie etc etc reign.
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 AM

I don't think we have any...

Being a guitar hero, at least for me, isn't only about the playing. It's about starstatus, the touch of weirdness, charisma, etc.

I'm the first to "fall in love" with guthrie govan's playing.. But he isn't the GuitarRockGod that drinks his cucumber smoothie in a nuns outfit while penetrating an entire cheerleading team with a headstock sort of guy..
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Nobody has passed the torch yet IMHO

I agree Davey!! It's the same as it ever was with along with some new kick-arse additions

*OLD HEROES NEVER DIE*
post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee View Post
But he isn't the GuitarRockGod that drinks his cucumber smoothie in a nuns outfit while penetrating an entire cheerleading team with a headstock sort of guy..
oh my god...who is!?
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 AM

Reviews: 13

And what an exciting time it will be in the world when somebody takes an RG by the 'horns' and lets it loose......so much to look forward to.

-Wolfram
post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 AM

Has nobody mentioned Matt Bellamy of Muse? He's got to be the closest you'll get in a contemporary pop (rock?) band.
Jim
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Has nobody mentioned Matt Bellamy of Muse? He's got to be the closest you'll get in a contemporary pop (rock?) band.
Jim
Hmmm, I don't see what the fuss is about that guy/band. Yeah they are different, but he isn't ground breaking.

I don't find him inspiring at all.

Reece
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Dee

Any guitar hero who wasn't more interested in his hairstyle just kept on improving. Holdsworth and Gambale. Those are two guys who have improved with age, as any musician should. But, alas, they are not considered guitar gods by the mainstream.

Guthrie Govan is one of the better players around nowadays, but on the other hand, Guthrie's been around for a long time already. He isn't exactly "new", he's only new to the younger generation.

I almost agree with Ibanez249 when he says no one has passed the torch yet. This is kinda true. They don't make guitar heroes like Yngwie and Vai any more. That's not to say they are heroes of mine (hell no! I grew out of listening to them long ago), and I believe there are better players out there, only their haircuts aren't as good. That's the difference, I suppose.

Tony MacAlpine shouldn't be forgotten. He played neo-classical in the early days and then turned himself into a fantastic fusion guitarist. Check out his albums with Planet X and CAB. Have Yngwie and Vai improved and grown as musicians like that? I don't think they have. Their best work was done long ago, and everything is different now. Nobody wants to prance around in Lycra and be a guitar hero!
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Tony MacAlpine shouldn't be forgotten. He played neo-classical in the early days and then turned himself into a fantastic fusion guitarist. Check out his albums with Planet X and CAB. Have Yngwie and Vai improved and grown as musicians like that? I don't think they have. Their best work was done long ago, and everything different now. Nobody wants to prance around in Lycra.
Excellent point.

But can you imagine Yngwie playing jazz?
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Dee

Naw, not really! I'd like to hear him try. He'd look quite silly if he did it while pouting though.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM

I think (IMHO) Buckethead has the persona, the attitude and the chops to be one of the today's giutar heros. He's a hell of a poser (starting from his hat) and an ever better player: from performing late Lane's " One note at a time" to constant collaborations with other artists and acts... well, hats off to Buckethead (No sir, we don't wear those buckets as you do . Should we wear them to improve our playing..?)
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Who are today's guitar heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Have Yngwie and Vai improved and grown as musicians like that? I don't think they have. Their best work was done long ago,
I don't think it's a fair statement to say they haven't grown. I don't think anyone grows or improves...as a player
Clapton hasn't grown as a player, he's grown as a songwriter though which has changed his approach towards playing

Al Dimeola, George Benson and Lee Ritenour haven't grown as players either. All of their approaches have been altered as new phases pass through their cosciousness...
Al had that flamenco phase which was a complete change from his fusion stuff
George is a fantastic singer so that plays a big part in what he does and doesn't do
Lee went from danceable groove to spanish inflected ballady stuff, His arrangement sensibility grew quite a bit

Vai approached things differently with the new orchestral cd

Same with Holdsworth and Gambale I don't think they've improved at all...

Just my opinion...

Tags
ace frehley , alexi laiho , andy timmons , angus young , chris broderick , chuck schuldiner , custom guitar , custom guitars , dave weiner , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , frank zappa , george benson , guitar mag , guitar players , guthrie govan , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , kiko loureiro , kurt cobain , mark tremonti , marty friedman , michael romeo , paul gilbert , paul stanley , randy rhoads , richie sambora , robert johnson , scott ian , shawn lane , steve vai , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode