Who are today's guitar heroes? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Who are today's guitar heroes?

I really don't think there are any "Guitar Heroes" nowadays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Re: Who are today's guitar heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
Paul Waggoner of Between the Buried and Me
Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist
Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom
Gus G of Firewind
Kiko Loureiro of Angra
Guthrie Govan
James Malone of Arsis
Paul Masvidal of Cynic, Aeon Spoke, Death
Chuck Schuldiner of Death
Michael Keene of The Faceless
Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy
Dave Knudson of Minus the Bear
Jeff Loomis of Nevermore
Chris Broderick of Megadeth, Nevermore, Jag Panzer
Joey Eppard of Three

Soooo many more, including all of the old favorites such as Vai, Friedman, Becker, Petrucci, Bettencourt, Johnson, Joe Pass, etc.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, no one in this generation over the age of 12 that I know of actually considers anyone from Avenged Sevenfold to be even considered "decent" at guitar. They have pretty strong hate around these parts at least, and in my opinion they don't raise any bars, or even meet them halfway for that matter, in any way at all.

Unless that "bar" is wearing black nail polish on every finger.
i agree with pretty much everything you said.

and to the comments about nirvana. personally, nevermind is their worst album if you ask me..well better than bleach i guess. but their later, 'grungier' stuff was more interesting. sure its not guitar heroes stuff in any way imo and it was way overrated. but i dont think that, besides mainstream media, Kurt would have only been remembered for 'smells like teen spirit'
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledToArms View Post
but i dont think that, besides mainstream media, Kurt would have only been remembered for 'smells like teen spirit'
Oh I don't know. Jimi Hendrix and Eddie van Halen are pure legends, way bigger than Kurt Cobain in every way, but if you ask an average guitarist to name some of their music, I don't think many of them will get further than Voodoo Chile and Eruption.
I think to most people (including guitarists), a lot of so called 'guitar heroes' are nothing more than a name and one or two 'signature songs'. Only the fans would actually be familiar with a decent part of their work.

At least, that's how it is with me. I don't like most of Hendrix' work, so I only know 4 or 5 tracks that I actually like. The rest I heard once, but wasn't interested in, so I forgot it again. Same with a lot of other guitar heroes, I just 'browsed' their work and forgot it again. I just know the names because they have to be known, they're heroes after all. And I am vaguely familiar with their sound and playing style, so I have some sort of mental image of what they are about, but it has no detail.
But Satriani, Malmsteen, Van Halen, MacAlpine etc... yea I am (or was) a fan of them, and listened to a lot of their music. But people who can't appreciate that sort of 80s shred metal, well they would probably not like any of that stuff, because it's rooted quite heavily in that genre.

I really don't think Nirvana made any songs that are worth listening to for anyone who's not a big fan of the band or music style in general. Just no memorable, epic masterpieces. The music is very limited.
I suppose that's where a band like Queen is different. Their music is so rich and varied, it is above and beyond a certain genre. There is something in it for everyone to like. I still hear Queen being played on mainstream radio on a daily basis. Haven't heard Nirvana on any mainstream stuff in ages. Their music simply doesn't reach beyond the era and musical genre in which it was created.

Last edited by Scali; 02-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM

A guitar hero is who you personally are inspired by. Their popularity doesn't matter. If no one else is inspired by them, it still doesn't matter, he/she's your guitar hero.

It's a personal thing, so I don't think we can go around saying this guy is but this guy isn't for others. But, you definately can say who is for you.

For me:

Satch, Paul Gilbert, Kiko Louriero, and Michael Amott. Also, my Dad. He's been playing so long just because he likes it not because he is good or because he's in a band. He just likes to practice and learn songs he likes. That's something I strugle with, I always want some type of gratification from others, but not my pops, he hasn't been able to play with many other people his whole life but he still learns to play everything he likes. From Zeppelin to Fernando Soar, he learns them all.
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Also, my Dad. He's been playing so long just because he likes it not because he is good or because he's in a band. He just likes to practice and learn songs he likes. That's something I strugle with, I always want some type of gratification from others, but not my pops, he hasn't been able to play with many other people his whole life but he still learns to play everything he likes. From Zeppelin to Fernando Soar, he learns them all.

That's cool!

I wish somebody in my family was musical...I am the only person in my family that plays an instrument. I only have a few friends I can jam with too, and that doesn't happen too often because they live so far away and are always playing with other bands.

My favorite players are Petrucci, Dave Weiner, Guthri Govan, Zappa and Vai...theres others, but those are the ones that instantly come to mind.

-Sean
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 AM

Love him or hate him, Herman Li is HUGE right now.

And why hasn't Michael Romeo been mentioned yet? seriously...
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Love him or hate him, Herman Li is HUGE right now.

And why hasn't Michael Romeo been mentioned yet? seriously...
I think from the adverts we see in guitar magazines that Herman (and perhaps to a lesser extent his band mate, Sam) is definately a guitar hero today.

Micael Romeo probably hasn't been mentioned for the very reason I started ths thread, we don't know who he is because the way the music media works these days guitar heroes aren't publicised like they used to be. So - who IS he ?
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Micael Romeo probably hasn't been mentioned for the very reason I started ths thread, we don't know who he is because the way the music media works these days guitar heroes aren't publicised like they used to be. So - who IS he ?
Not sure, but I suppose you are actually asking who he is because you've not heard of him?
In that case, this excerpt from his instructional video will fill you in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJ44Wd7SgU

Basically he's a neo-classical shredder from the band Symphony X. He has some clear Malmsteen influences (down to his weight even), but his sound is different, he also incorporates more legato and almost Shawn Lane-like phrases. Technically I think he's one of the fastest and hottest guys around at the moment, so definitely a hero in that sense.
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding??? He's been an "Underground Legend" for many many years among guitarists and thanks to Megadeth's Gigantour and tours with Dream Theater they've blown up like 1000 fold over the last few years, Paradise Lost debuted at number 123 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart in the United States selling 6,300 copies in its first week. The record also debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart., so neh neh!
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Are you kidding??? He's been an "Underground Legend" for many many years among guitarists and thanks to Megadeth's Gigantour and tours with Dream Theater they've blown up like 1000 fold over the last few years, Paradise Lost debuted at number 123 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart in the United States selling 6,300 copies in its first week. The record also debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart., so neh neh!
Nope I'm not kidding, I'd never heard of him. Is he someone that the kids today worship as a guitar hero? Or is he an underground legend?
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Nope I'm not kidding, I'd never heard of him. Is he someone that the kids today worship as a guitar hero? Or is he an underground legend?
If you've never heard Symphony X, you need to go get some.

Guitar Heroes are worthless in this era, image is for fake pop stars not musicians..
post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 PM

we´re talking today guitar heros and people says zappa and groups not relevant actually u_u

i say Buckethead cause he produced a ton of material the last year, when will Satch take he to play in the g3¿
post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 AM

I am a part of the "new generation" of guitarists.

And the only stuff I listen to is guitar heros from the 80s!

EVH, Vai, Lynch...

Then again I also like CC Deville so don't listen to me
post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM

Im surprised no one has said anything about the guys from dragon force...those boys can shredd. Herman Li and whats the other one?

Thats why because they have jsut been revealed to the mainstream world because of "guitar Hero 3." I saw them at ozzfest last year and was just amazed by their playing. However on with guitar hero's.

For me Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Page...My father made me listen to alot of classic rock when i was a kid

I forgot Tony Iommi and Carlos Santana.

Last edited by RGrocker; 05-23-2008 at 03:42 PM.
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:42 PM

Woops...as for heroes of today, Slash, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde, John Mayer (although i am not a huge fan of his music I have heard him shred before i wish i could play half as good as him.)... I havent really heard stuff from childrens of Bodom but have read about Alexi in mags I need to check some of thier stuff out.

If you are looking for a band that had some really technical music check out Sikth..you guys from across the pond may know who im tlaking about..They use the fretboard as if it was a piano...not a fan of the music as a whole but the guitarists were insaine (they rboke up a couple years ago)

Tags
ace frehley , alexi laiho , andy timmons , angus young , chris broderick , chuck schuldiner , custom guitar , custom guitars , dave weiner , eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , frank zappa , george benson , guitar mag , guitar players , guthrie govan , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , kiko loureiro , kurt cobain , mark tremonti , marty friedman , michael romeo , paul gilbert , paul stanley , randy rhoads , richie sambora , robert johnson , scott ian , shawn lane , steve vai , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode