Why do method videos... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Why do method videos...

...always have the artist playing some tear ass speed licks and then saying stuff like, "Its just that easy!" instead of actually explaining what they are doing both on a theoretical and physical level. I mean yeah they slow it down and include tabs and such but its not very through I dont think. Now this is only a discussion type thing and I didnt know where else to put it other than here so please forgive me and if the Mods feel like it they can move it around. But the point is I think that it would be cool to get a video one day that has the artist saying something like, "Now whats going on right there is while I am playing this lick I am trying to keep a relaxed feel in both hands." or something like that. But then, of course, I guess they just automatically assume you already know to keep relaxed and everything. Just a random thought I had and wished to share. Forgive me for the stupidity of the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Re: Why do method videos...

Yeah, thats the true for lot of videos out there, i mean, i saw the REH Michael Romeo video , he explained nothing at all! I didnt learn nothing at all, and it seemed that he wasnt prepared at all for that video, just performed some songs and that was it folks.
But there are other cool videos, i personaly love both Scott Henderson's video, he really teaches useful stuff.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:43 PM

You are right, which doesn't mean that it's not fun to just watch these guys burn...

Yup, Scott's videos are great, Petrucci's is very good too for developing your technique.

Some videos have cool bits of info that are very mind opening, like Eric Johnson's video where he discusses picking technique, or Shawn Lane's videos where he discusses odd note groupings and other ways to make your licks more interesting.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 1

Try Paul Gilbert He is an actual professor (teached at GIT). Guitar Form MArs Terrifyng Guitar Trip or Intense Rock I and II.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 PM

i agree with the gilbert/petrucci comments above. also, i wish i had had the chance to watch the henderson video when my teacher let me borrow it! i also think robben ford's "playin' the blues" is great. lots of explanation.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 PM

Although I've never really like petrucci but his rock discipline is great he explains everything
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 PM

The Petrucci, and tyhe Gilbert's are the best! They teach you the most, and are the coolest!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:28 AM

Has anyone seen the chris impell
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 AM

OOPS ill try that again

Has anyone seen the chris impellitteri video?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:42 AM

Petrucci/Gilbert for technique, Henderson and Jim Hall for theory, note choice and phrasing. Eric Johnson for working on details. That's the perfect combination IMO.

If I had the time and discipline, and followed those videos, I'd be much better than I am ;-)
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr vai
OOPS ill try that again

I was also wondering if anyone has seen this video. I believe it is a speed picking specific kind of thing. My problem is that there are a lot of great videos out there but yet to be converted over to DVD format. I would also love to see the George Lynch Stuff as well. Antbody know if the Gilbert stuff is available on DVD? TUGGEY
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Why do method videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr vai
OOPS ill try that again

I have it and it's cool to watch!!! but as a lot of Jemsitters already mention
this on video in particular would fall into the cathegory "Watch me burn"
you don't get a lot out of it except stealing a few cool licks.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM

I was really upset with Frank Gambale's 'Modes, No more mystery' dvd. I expect so much more from Frank, but in that dvd he shows you nothing that you already don't know. He lays out the notes of the modes then blows through them. Geez, I already knew that. I wanted to learn some mode soloing techniques, but nooooo not in his dvd. He just jams through them and explains nothing. Waste. Don't buy it. His Chopbuilding dvd is great though. Doesn't explain anything, but gives you a great practice routine.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangomles
Yeah, thats the true for lot of videos out there, i mean, i saw the REH Michael Romeo video , he explained nothing at all! I didnt learn nothing at all, and it seemed that he wasnt prepared at all for that video, just performed some songs and that was it folks.
I wasn't aware that Michael Romeo had an REH video.. just that one from Young Guitar which I actually have and it isn't a complete watch me play at lightning speed video. Are you sure it's actually a Michael Romeo video?

All the Paul Gilbert videos are great to learn stuff stuff. The Yngwie REH video was a completely waste of cash, but his Young Guitar videos aren't bad at all. (Yngwie's YG Play Loud series of videos is what I learned how to play guitar from actually).

Here's my list of recommended guitar videos, check 'em out if you can, these are all videos I recall learning something from:

Paul Gilbert - Terrifying Guitar Trip, Intense Rock I & II, Guitars from Mars I & II + ANY BOOTLEG GILBERT CLINICS YOU CAN FIND!!
Yngwie Malmsteen - Young Guitar Play Loud I, II & III (the Full Shred video is more performance/clinic than anything)
Michael Romeo - The Guitar Chapter (Young Guitar - Discontinued)
John Petrucci - Rock Discipline
Al Di Meola - Al Di Meola
Joe Satriani - Bootlegged guitar clinic(s). I know there's the one he did in Moscow but he also did one more guitar clinic before that, but I'm not too sure if anyone got a bootleg of that
Steve Vai - There's at least 2 or 3 bootleg guitar clinics
Marty Friedman - Melodic Control, Exotic Metal Guitar(it's not great but it's not bad), Essential Marty Friedman(not bad either). There's also an old Young Guitar instructional video he had which I havent' seen. (AVOID His 99 Secrets video that's sold off his website!!)
Jason Becker - Bootleg Aim Clinic(or just get the Hotlicks video which has clips from the AIM clinic, but not the whole thing)
Eric Johnson - Total Electric Guitar, Fine Art of Electric Guitar
Shawn Lane - Power Solos

There are other videos out there that aren't bad either especially the DVD's that come with some of the Young Guitar mags.

(Holy $#!T, I can't believe I own that many videos and more!!)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einarabelc5
Try Paul Gilbert He is an actual professor (teached at GIT). Guitar Form MArs Terrifyng Guitar Trip or Intense Rock I and II.
Right on. John Petrucci's was pretty good too. Dimebag shows you how to do squeals pretty good too! - the video clip that was posted here a little while ago.

Tags
electric guitar , eric johnson , frank gambale , guitar mag , guitar tech , jason becker , joe satriani , john petrucci , marty friedman , michael romeo , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , picking technique , robben ford , scott henderson , shawn lane , steve lukather , steve vai , vinnie moore , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode