World's best guitarist - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

World's best guitarist

It was the 1980s and the boy working the counter at the local record store who knew I played guitar told me he just heard the "best guitarist in the world". He said this guy is better than Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai. BS, I thought.

So he puts this song on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

I thought it was all studio effects and clever digital editing and realized, if other guitar masters are watched and studied, that this type of playing is simply impossible. I am sure there are some of those who still think it can't be played sans studio, computers, and editing, but feast ears and eyes on the video.

Today in 2015 it may not amaze quite as much but in the late-1980s, this was the diatonic shredder's watershed moment akin to pop rock's Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 or Elvis shaking his hips before that on same show in the 1950s. Surfin' pretty much let a tiger out of the box and even more than showing the world a person could play like this, it made many already great players up their game and give us all so much to listen to for decades.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-23-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Re: World's best guitarist

That's some serious basement surfing!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

What i love about Surfing, and what I will always love about it, is that it balances the crazy with melody. You can hum the melody, my five year old can hum the melody, even the wacky guitar noises can be hummed, gronked, meedled or whatever, there's nothing that doesn't possess a real vocal quality to it.

And I think this was the song that made me go 'huh!' And then want to actually... Practise...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 PM

The first time I heard of Satch I was listening to a radio show called Rock Line and he was on. He played Satch Boogie and even though it was after midnight I woke up my brother and made him listen to it as it was like nothing I had ever heard. I felt like he took guitar to another level compared to EVH who was my main guitar inspiration.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 21

I heard the "Crush of Love" on MTV and thought it was completely awesome. I had just started playing guitar and though "man! I need to try doing THAT!" Beyond the obvious shredding it was a great song in general.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:07 AM
Banned

Well, "my best player" back in the 80's, was not simply the fastest and most accurate of all, but also had developed a special tuning for the 7-string, + an algebra for the fretboard. And still no one knows him. How about that?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 AM

I think Surfing with the Alien is my favorite Satriani album

Kind of so raw that you could instantly hear the musicality of it
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I often mentioned that the best guitarist I have ever seen live was a local guy who had a cheap Squier strat and small transistor amp, kind of like the 30 watt transistor amp in the Satch video, and he burned everything up.

Whenever people, usually inferior guitarists with better gear, criticized his cheapo gear, you only had to walk into his home and see his gold records on the wall. 'nuff said and that pretty much shuts up any detractors of his cheap Squier. It's his way of saying f-you to all the gearhounds out there with no talent. He lets his guitar speak for him and he finds no need to burn down medieval churches to bring attention to his music.

Even though he had a huge ego, and wasn't the type of guy to argue with (think Lars Ulrich), he also recorded local bands and helped many get it done and get it on the air as should be the ultimate task.

His bare bones setup with small amp and Squier got the job done, minimally, and then he could spend the rest of his time wringing out perfect lead, perfect chorus, and correct harmonies, if needed. You only have so many hours in a day, and then you have to learn numerous songs as a studio guitarist and keep the future booked, not to mention sound recording clients.

He made sure not to over-record and kill a feeling of any song/passage, yet he made sure the basic track was good enough for the job. He knew the difference between tight and sterile and thus the work he got as a studio guitarist and now recording engineer.

I remember the first time I saw him in a coffee house and he sang backup sans mic and got every type of sound out of his strat and it all sounded professionally mixed by a good board operator but it was really just him and his guitar. Distortion, gain, and clean were all the same controlled by just his strat's volume knob and he never overplayed a single note.

When I see the Satch video, I see a master utilizing what gear is there to the absolute maximum and that translates into a good guitar sound, and yes, gold (or better) records on the wall at home. Anybody can find a perfect Satch concert video where he has the control of what gear is there and how the monitors/speakers are set up for any given concert hall, but what Satch does on a guitar that is not his, some effects and a small amp is just genius.

I used to think Kirk Hammett (a Satriani student just like Steve Vai) was overrated but then I saw some stuff he does just with small practice amp tooling around and the guy practically never hits any bad notes and can make a basic backstage setup sound like a finished recorded product. I think he got that from Satch and from what few leaks came out about Satch and his rigorous teaching techniques, it was to pay homage to the song, and nothing else. I remember Vai talking about hiding when he saw Satch on the street when he didn't practice his lessons.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 PM

Satch is probably still my favorite player. I won't touch labels like "world's best," but even after a slew of fairly ho-hum albums, he's still a guy where you can toss one of his albums on and he reminds me why I love playing so much - he just makes everything sound so fun.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Technique & improv wise, guthrie govan is the best guitar player In the world right now.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Satch is probably still my favorite player. I won't touch labels like "world's best," but even after a slew of fairly ho-hum albums, he's still a guy where you can toss one of his albums on and he reminds me why I love playing so much - he just makes everything sound so fun.
"World's greatest" would probably not be an appropriate term right now with the glut of great shredders here there and everywhere.

But in the 1980s there was Eddie Van Halen and there was Steve Vai and they were a universe unto themselves. The impact of Surfing nearly 30 years ago was such a bomb blast that it's hard to explain.

I was playing for nearly 10 years and grew up with great guitar sounds like Clapton, Pink Floyd, the Eagles, Skynard, and Led Zep and then Eddie came along with Van Halen 1 and all bets were off. But then there was Steve Vai who came with with great jazzer credentials to add to already great rock playing.

But without a "band", Joe Satriani came along and became the then "guitarist's guitarist" and already had a pretty good list of guitar students who already made their mark. What more can you ask for? Even if he was just a guitar teacher and never put out a song, he still had Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, and Alex Skolnick as students and who can even make that claim?

I don't think we will ever see the likes of a Joe Satiani again with body of work and students with an equally impressive (or more impressive) body of work.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 PM

It's no secret I'm a huge Satch fan since I was a teenager, back when Surfing first came out. Blew my mind!! The amazing thing is that it still holds up today... like a lot of the really great guitar players' music. I went through a blues phase, then got away from playing for a long time... and recently came back to playing with a desire to really learn and not just try to play a song or solo here and there. Now I have a whole new appreciation for Satriani's ability! Sure, the music he plays is awesome and he is super talented... but the musical knowledge he brings to the instrument is unsurpassed in the "rock music" genre. Like this little video where he explains what he was thinking and doing for the solo in "Surfing"... the last part of 4 short videos in which he goes over the intro, chorus, etc... It's amazing the intricate thought and moves that take place behind a "straight up rocker" of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErcGctrwyc

Of course, as a guy just trying to learn about the theory behind this stuff... it blows my mind like a kid watching a magician do simple tricks... lol! Might be old news to you guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode