Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  MattyCakes 
#1 ·
Dude, this has to be the worst I have ever heard Petrucci play. Minimize your browser and I swear you'll think of a kid playing on a Crate at GC.

No wonder comments are disabled LOL

#3 ·
I would guess that he's not playing through his normal amp. It's probably just a stock one they roll out for magazine interviews etc. If it is a clip for a magazine I wouldn't be too harsh on him. It could've been filmed at 9am after a big night. I wouldn't fancy being filmed in less than inspiring conditions with some journalist pointing a camera at me and demanding "right, be amazing we're filming this".

He's not my favourite player but it's not that bad.

#31 · (Edited)
I would guess that he's not playing through his normal amp.
Yeah. And this is what gets me -- people who claim that all these super-guitarists can play on ANYTHING and make it sound great. I always said that was BS. And it is. These guys have rigs worth thousands upon thousands of dollars, and there's no way they can sound as good on a crappy setup that most of us have to use. Even Vai would sound unlike his usual self on my rig. I guarantee it.

As for the video, man, there's nothing wrong with it. What's the fuss? It sounds OK, nothing special, but certainly not horrendous like I was expecting.

#10 ·
I have to say that it wasn't all that bad, considering, its not your average solo, and no backing music, etc... I thought it sounded pretty good.

Anyways I'm going to meet and greet with JP for the Australian DT tour, so Il be sure and mention this youtube post :) and tell him he is an awesome player........

#12 ·
Maybe a little clarification is needed..... are you talking about his chops or his tone? If it's tone, yep it's not his usual. Like Eggy said..... It may have been less than optimal surroundings and equipment.

Playing? The guy was noodling around...... what did you expect for 57 seconds? If it sounded like a typical Saturday morning at Guitar Center, well rest assured of the influence he's had on many a player then.

Or maybe you were just expecting John to perform Schumann's "lost" Violin Concerto on his guitar in a Youtube video? :lol:

Well I found a small clip of that very performance..... enjoy! ;)

#17 ·
The tone was awful and the playing was awful. He was sloppy as hell. He has ears so he could have heard that it sounded like ass. So he should have refused to play out of such a crappy rig for a video that would be viewd by millions!

So none of the excuses presented count for much.

Would I say this if it were C. C. DeVille? No. I'd say he was having a pretty good day. Yet, this is Petrucci whom I admire, HENCE, why I am saying this is awful.

I can't believe someone found it necessary to clarify that Petrucci was human lol...

As I initially stated, this is the worst Petrucci I ever heard. If you think its good then you're just not being honest with yourself since videos like this:

..display that the aforementioned video is just trash.

#23 ·
The tone was awful and the playing was awful. He was sloppy as hell. He has ears so he could have heard that it sounded like ass. So he should have refused to play out of such a crappy rig for a video that would be viewd by millions!
Well, have you personaly done anything that you think is better than this??
I say if people are going to COMPLETLY dog a GREAT player then THEY
should put their money where their mouth is and play us something better!!
A simple "He(Patrucci) doesn't sound as good imho as he usally does on this clip,
what do you guys think?" would have been a litle nicer. Nobody on this forum
is paying the "big guns" to play, so lets watch the disrespect. I
have noticed a BUNCH of disrespectful posts lately about AWESOME bands/players...
sorry for the rant but, lets keep respect where it's due I wonder how many people on this
forum would say what they write on here to the musician's face.... NOT MANY!!!
O.K. taking deep breath...;)

#18 ·
Much ado about nothing...... and how can you even compare the video you just posted with the earlier one? Two totally different surroundings. Grooving with a band and playing a solo unaccompanied.

It doesn't matter what "solo" it was..... it's still basically noodling! No backing track, plus it looks like he just got up.

I've never met any musician that was spot on every time they picked up their insturment. I don't think anyone is disagreeing and stating this is one of his best performances...... but to call it "ass" or sloppy as hell, Jeez. ;) Prospective please!

Maybe your expectations of of him are too high. After all it's a 57 sec. spot posted on youtube. Not like you paid good money to see him perform.

I can't believe someone found it necessary to post this or even debate it, including myself. Proves we've got nothing better to do I guess. :lol:

#19 ·
JP has some pretty outstanding chops. That being said he's not really one of my faves. I've never been nuts about Dream Theater. I do know that the guy can play a lot better than this. We've all had days where we just aren't in the mood to play or our playing just feels kind of off. When you're JP and it's your lively hood you've gotta play even on days like that.

#36 ·
ooooooooooooooooooooo

Irrelevant, he can still have an opinion and say it wether he is or isnt.

While I agree his playing wasn't perfect in the clip, i wouldnt say it was bad, but i guess for a vid it would be worth doing another take and skipping the mistake.

The tone was bad through whatever rig was playing there, sounded very fuzzy.

#22 ·
I am the only one who does not think it is noodling but is actually the solo to Under a Glass moon. yeah the tone is not that great, but that is probably a practice amp and recorded badly. I am surprised at the negative reaction this is generating. You would think that Breadfan recorded it.

#26 ·
Don't make me reach through the Internet and smack 'ya :lol:

I don't see the problem with this video at all, would you all rather not have it to begin with? It's a great solo, one of his all time best, and he's just blowing through it. It might not be the perfect tone, but it obviously isn't the guitar he recorded it on or the amp either; it's just him in a room with whatever is handy. It's nice to have an opportunity to actually see him play it. I'm sure more than a few people will get a lot more out of the tab of this solo now that they can actually see John himself run through it. Pretty damn cool to have access to if you ask me.

jim

#25 ·
Why do people always reply with 'could you do any better?' I mean, we are not comparing him to ourselves, we're comparing him to his own high standard.

That said, I was still pretty impressed with the clip. He certainly doesn't sound 'like ass', he sounds like John on a bad day with some dodgy sound equipment/amp. Which, to be honest, is still pretty damn good by anyone's standards.

Did anyone click on the link of him falling off stage in the related videos?

:lol: This must be my favourite Petrucci video ever!

#28 ·
Why do people always reply with 'could you do any better?'
Because, as I stated it's not the issues people have with "whatever"
that I have a problem with, it's the disrespectful, distasteful way it's
presented. I think if someone posts "He sucks, his tone sucks, the playing
sucks..bla,bla,bla" then they should post someting they did to justify talking
about a serious pro player such as Petrucci that badly.
O.K. let me give you guys a real life scenerio..
Your a fairly good player and you get done playing a show and someone walks
up to you when the show is over and says, "Man, your tone was terrible, and
you played really sloppy..."
Don't tell me the FIRST thing to pop in your head would be
"Well, smart a$$ you think you can do better???" Be realistic ;)
ALL I'm saying is that we should respect the "proven" players a bit
more than just dogging them out...
The video someone posted on here about the kids doing the Europe
final countdown cover now THAT SUCKS!!!..not Petrucci, he would have
to be drunk/high out of his freakin' mind to play that bad and on this
video he's FAR from it...

P.S. I thought the video was not too bad....

#37 ·
:roll:

You can find a bad clip from ANY musician (I don't care who he/she is)

Why focus on the one or two BAD clips when you can focus on the good?? :)

Seems maybe a bit of ~ENVY~ is on display here possibly?? :rolleyes:

btw - JP isn't my fav muso, but at least he aint no B.S. ;)

~ROCK~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.