Wrist troubles... Ganglion cyst or something... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Wrist troubles... Ganglion cyst or something...

Hi! I've had a little bump on the top of my wright (picking hand) wrist where the tendons from my thumb and index finger is for some time. It hurts a bit when I try to roll and bend my hand and from what I've read on the net, I'm pretty sure its a ganglion cyst... I've played on a acoustic guitar for about 2 years, and got my new Ibanez 370dx a couple of days ago. Played it for about 6 hours the day I got it with some brakes in between. And when I woke up the next morning my wrist hurt even more and it was kind of stiff... I tryed to stay away from the guitar and my computer mouse that day to see if my wrist got any better, and it had improved a tiny bit the next day. But I still feel pain when I move my wrist. But strangely it doesn't hurt to play my guitar, just bending and rolling my hand... I wondered if anybody else have had a ganglion, and what you did to get rid of it, and stopping it from re-appering... I'm realy worried about this... Love playing guitar and I don't want to stop playing for good because of this!! Don't think its anything wrong with my technique, I just learned how to "freefloat" when I'm picking (support some of my under arm on the guitar body though) . Used to rest my pinky on the body... Should I go back to that technique?? Going to visit my doctor soon...

Hope you understand my bad explanation... My English vocabulary isnt that good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Wrist troubles... Ganglion cyst or something...

Nobody who have had any wrist problems like these??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:21 PM

Re: Wrist troubles... Ganglion cyst or something...

Hello there Dahls.

Okay here is the story, this is quite a serious thing you have (I presume you have had it diagnosed -due to the fact you are refering to it in the correct way).

This is NOTHING to do with technique, good or bad. I have no clue how it forms but they WILL require medical attention to become drained or whatever they do to them. As far as I can tell they restrict the movment of the wrist, amd can become quite painful. Not what you want for playing the guitar.

As with any problem make sure you nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

Big Job.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I'm seeing my doctor next week about it, but I'm pretty shure its a ganglion from what I could find from the net and other sources. Like I said, I layed off the guitar and computer mouse for some days, and it have improved alot. Tried to play the guitar again to day, and I didn't notice any pain during, or after the playing. It might be the pc mouse that cause the problem, because I started to use my left hand when I'm using it, and that seemed to help... Think I will play a little bit while I wait for my appointment at the doctors, and see if the lump comes back. I'm realy scared of not beeing able to play anymore... Guitar is my life!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:16 PM

Good luck with getting it sorted.I've never been into computers much,but since spending a fair bit of time checking this site out i've noticed aches from using the mouse.

Tags
acoustic guitar , guitar body , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode