Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Writers Block, in Music

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Myst and rain 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have just realized I haven't really written any of my own music, I mean I can make my own solo's and bass lines. But I have trouble thinking of my own rhythm guitar lines to start, then my bass and drums will stem and then lead. I can play rhythm and I know chord structure pretty well I just don't know what to write! How do you guys start piecing together a song because I'd like to start to put my own work out there for the world to hear. I have a musical ear and I do notice that one of my major problems is I think of a rhythm line or something and then realize it was played in this song I heard like 3 years ago >_<

So I'd like to hear from you guys since you guys make some kick arse songs

#2 ·
the way I have written music, is firstly, start with what sort of style of song do I want to make. ill start by saying to myself, ok fast rock song, or funky song, or ambient etc... This way you know what style of music your going to be writing.

I feel personally, when I write music from a chord progression, the music really starts to become music for a band. So because I use software based instruments ie, bass drums, keyboards etc.. i usually use my guitar to write the bass lines and then drums. because drums usually sets the tone of the entire song. Drums tells you how fast the song will be and what feel it will have.

In the end its different for everyone, and thats the beauty of making music. Sometime I set out to write a certain style thats playing in my head, and by the time I lift my head from my PC, i have written a tottally different song. usually a melody catches my imagination and it just grows from there.

I once heard a novel writer say that he never plans out a book, as that would be a nightmare. he starts with an idea and it just grows from there.

So find your self an idea ie, a melody or a bassline or a drum beat that you like, and let it grow from that.

good luck

If you like listen to my tracks on my myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/myguitarsalive

#3 ·
thanks I'll keep that in mind, I wish I had enough money for a Sequencer or a Boss Drum machine, I think that would help me a little bit.
Also should I worry about a song that sounds like another song I've heard? because I mean I sometimes listen to songs and I'm like pff thats just this song with this variation, I mean sometimes things will sound alike. Such as a blues song, its usually always the same chord progression and it uses the same scale (with slight variations)

#4 ·
my best ideas usually just come from jamming, especially when you put yourself in unfamiliar territory. one great way to force new ideas is to jam to a drum machine and choose a preset and tempo that you are not familiar or comfortable with. it will force you to play differently and maybe spark some ideas. and of course, jamming with other musicians is a great way to spark ideas. other than that, i just usually wait for them to come and i never force myself to write (bad ideas usually come from this in my experience).

#5 ·
other than that, i just usually wait for them to come and i never force myself to write (bad ideas usually come from this in my experience).
Excellent advice! It's best when it just flows. I often equate it to Chi; you control it but it also controls you.
For me it usually happens one of several ways.
1. The "Thank You God" method. It falls from the sky and hits you in the head like a brick. You imagine the completed song and just have to record it. This is the rarest form.
2. Mood. I'll feel a certain way, create a basic beat on the drum machine, and go to work. You go into it wanting a certain type of song but what comes out isn't known from the start. This, for me, happens most often I think.
3. Pure accident. Usually happens by jamming with drum machine or my band.

Whatever the case, it's best if it comes from the heart. Contrived stuff sounds as such. My earliest songs were horrid, but eventually things evolve where you can draw from your pallet and come up with some cool stuff.
Oh, and patience can be your best friend! ;)

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.