Yet another poorly mixed song by your truly - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yet another poorly mixed song by your truly

http://www.geocities.com/ibanezroadstarii/NONAME.wma

THoughts & opinions?... other then mixing and matering or lack of, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 12:42 AM

Re: Yet another poorly mixed song by your truly

Now i know why this file call NONAME
Tubarão.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

:S I dont get it
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:39 AM

I really don't dig that. No offense here.
Tubarão.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Then go play somthing you do like

Last edited by IbanezroadstarII; 02-13-2005 at 03:57 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:46 AM

Not trying to be an ass here, just saying what I think even though I could be a bit harsh :P

Well I can tell right off the bat you're a beginner or someone that just started jamming to backtracks.

Very strange/random note choices. Are you playing over any scale?! The articulation is so one dimension. Too robotic. The overall the solo just sounds flat. The timing is also pretty off in a lot of places especially with the fast playing around half way. The solos just come in random places and serve no real purpose.

I don't know how long you've been playing but it took me a good 3 years+ to understand how to "improvise" using chord/scale shapes. Being able to visualize shapes on your fretboard will take a bit more than just knowing how to play a A minor pentatonic (good one to start one btw) or something. I'll tell you that you're gonna suck at improvising for awhile but if you keep at it you'll eventually get better. good luck.

Last edited by btangel; 02-13-2005 at 04:07 AM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

thats been happening alot today... give er an hour or so
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 04:12 AM

check out barhook's improvisation over "I believe I can fly" somewhere in the forum.

I think that's a prime example of excellent, soulful playing. Hearing him play is like hearing the guitar sing to you.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezroadstarII
Then go play somthing you do like
:S i don't get it
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

nm mind dude.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
Not trying to be an ass here, just saying what I think even though I could be a bit harsh :P

Well I can tell right off the bat you're a beginner or someone that just started jamming to backtracks.

Very strange/random note choices. Are you playing over any scale?! The articulation is so one dimension. Too robotic. The overall the solo just sounds flat. The timing is also pretty off in a lot of places especially with the fast playing around half way. The solos just come in random places and serve no real purpose.

I don't know how long you've been playing but it took me a good 3 years+ to understand how to "improvise" using chord/scale shapes. Being able to visualize shapes on your fretboard will take a bit more than just knowing how to play a A minor pentatonic (good one to start one btw) or something. I'll tell you that you're gonna suck at improvising for awhile but if you keep at it you'll eventually get better. good luck.

if your so good how come you cant pick a MIxolydian from a Minor pentatonic
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Because they include a lot of same notes

Hey, you post a file online, you should expect some criticism. Btangel gave you some input, which, although sounds harsh, was much more than saying: "this sucks". If you don't want to hear this, maybe you should specify that you only want positive feedback.

Btw, I'd listen to the file, but it seems like it's down right now...
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Why did you ask for feedback if you're not able to handle constructive criticism in a mature manner?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Umm who said I can't?? Either way, knowing theory doesn't make you a better player either. What good does it do for you knowing the blah blah mode of wtever scale if you don't know how to apply it?

Oh well why do I even bother. If you scoff at my suggestions as an act of ****iness then I shouldn't waste my time. You asked for opinions, this is my very honest one. I figured I'd be more helpful than just telling you right out it sucked.

[btw this won't download if you're firefox. Using IE was the only way to dl the file for me]
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:24 AM

Yup, it does only download with IE - strange...

Anyways: As you said, the track isn't really mixed and the sound quality is very poor, which kind of detracts from the listening, but you know that.

As for the playing, you DO have some technique which you should really be making better use of. I.e. the licks around 1:26 are actually pretty cool.

But you should really work on your phrasing. Most of your lines seem to be going nowhere. You seem to start a line with some melodic idea, then you develop it a bit, and then you just keep messing around with the same notes. It's better to cut a certain melodic line short rather than stretching it out too much. Also try to embelish your licks a bit, maybe finish them off with some vibrato (instead of cutting them off abruptly).

The fast bit was really out of context, it just seemed like you said "ok, now I am going to play some fast notes". That whole section was just going nowhere and didn't seem to make any sense. There is nothing wrong with speed, it just needs to be used in a context (kind of "tension and release" idea). If you listen to guys like Satch or Vai, or even speed monsters like Rusty Cooley, they would usually interweave fast and slow(er) parts for a more "dramatic" effect.

Your whammy bar work and harmonics are actually quite good, if you integrate them into the melodic lines, you could get some nice effects.

Anyways, this is my $0.02 (Canadian). I don't know why I am wasting my time if you are just going to attack me, but I figured I'll say what I think.

I think you have potential, you just need to work on being more musical. Just listen a lot, take in as many things as you can, and you'll pick it up.

Tags
floating tremolo , rusty cooley , string saddle , string tension , vernon reid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode