Ahhhh Guitar Center - Page 5 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

OHHH yes the guitar center here in chatt sucks they have a new guitar guy every two weeks I went in onw time to try an amp they guy couldn't even figure out how to plug the head into the cabinet.....HA HA HA HA HA HA but there is a guy. There was another store here in town i went in with 700 cash picked up a guitar and started jammin on it Dude said please don't play that unless you are gonna buy it. HA HA I looked at him flashed my wad of cash in his face and said "Well I was planning on buying something and walked out" Never been back since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM

Lol I go to the Chattanooga guitar center....Any time I want to try something before I order it from Sweetwater.

Although I did have them order an Ibanez pickguard for me today, and I must say it arrived promptly. I did business with the GC in Atlanta for a while. There was a guy there that did me right every time. Bought two guitars from him: An SG standard (which I sold for more than I paid for it) and my Jem. I forget his name, but its a shame he isn't there anymore.

The trick to GC is: go in there prepared to help yourself. Don't ask the sales people questions, because they don't know. Don't ask them for technical advice, because they're the last people you want advising you. Know the dealer price and lowest advertised price online on the item you want before you walk in. Haggle like you mean it. These people's income is based on what you buy, and if you shop smart its rediculous what you can get away with.

Dealer price on guitars is generally 40 - 50% of MSRP, GC will sell something at 60% of the MSRP and insist you're getting a MEGA-deal. Markup is significantly higher on cables, effects, and accessories. They'd much prefer to sell you $2000 worth of cables, stompboxes and picks than a $2000 Ibanez guitar.

Use this knowledge to your advantage!

I got my 2005 Jem7vwh for $1100 and a busted RGT42 I bought on **** for $200, out the door after tax. You tell me who got screwed on that deal =p
post #63 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Hi people. This is my first post and I figured I would start off here. I went and bought my first guitar 16 months ago at guitar Center in Manchester, CT. What a lousy experience. The sales man was arrogant,pushy not very personable , Bruce xxxxson. was his name. Anyway, last week i was looking at my guitar its an 2000 RG 470TI. However it was in the store listed as a Rg570. Me being new I did not know as much as I thought I did and I did do quite a bit of research. I found out because i was on Rich's site and was looking for it in the back catalogs and couldn't find it. the found the 470 pic. So I thought to myself hmm.. maybe I should bring this back and just notify them of the mistake. being 16 months ago I would not expect a thing. So i decided to grab the receipt and when i looked at the serial # it DID NOT MATCH THE GUITAR !! I think they did this on purpose. The only thing I could do was say hey... Ibanez did not make a 2000 570 in TI that year. needless to say I'm a little bummed. but oh well. I have a yamaha 250F for sale and when that goes I'm buying a Jem from Rich.
post #64 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470tojem View Post
Hi people. This is my first post and I figured I would start off here. I went and bought my first guitar 16 months ago at guitar Center in Manchester, CT. What a lousy experience. The sales man was arrogant,pushy not very personable , Bruce xxxxson. was his name. Anyway, last week i was looking at my guitar its an 2000 RG 470TI. However it was in the store listed as a Rg570. Me being new I did not know as much as I thought I did and I did do quite a bit of research. I found out because i was on Rich's site and was looking for it in the back catalogs and couldn't find it. the found the 470 pic. So I thought to myself hmm.. maybe I should bring this back and just notify them of the mistake. being 16 months ago I would not expect a thing. So i decided to grab the receipt and when i looked at the serial # it DID NOT MATCH THE GUITAR !! I think they did this on purpose. The only thing I could do was say hey... Ibanez did not make a 2000 570 in TI that year. needless to say I'm a little bummed. but oh well. I have a yamaha 250F for sale and when that goes I'm buying a Jem from Rich.

Take it back with the receipt, and raise hell. I wouldn't let them get away with it. Stores don't like it when you raise your voice(especially when you are right). I got taken advantage of three months ago by a local music store. I thought I was buying an RG550 for 430 bucks until I got home and posted it here. Thanks to the gang at Jemsite I found out it was a RG570. I went back and got 230 bucks back. LOL. I got a mint 570 for 200 bucks. After hanging around here for four months nobody can ever **** me on another Ibanez again!!LOL good luck... don't let them get away with it!...........
post #65 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Good luck with that man, but after 16 months I wouldnt hold my breathe. The guy you bought from probably isn't even there anymore. If the serial number doesnt match, that makes it even harder. Now it would look like you were bringing in a guitar you didnt want and possibly never even bought there.
post #66 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Good luck with that man, but after 16 months I wouldnt hold my breathe. The guy you bought from probably isn't even there anymore. If the serial number doesnt match, that makes it even harder. Now it would look like you were bringing in a guitar you didnt want and possibly never even bought there.
Yeah I kind of agree . but that idiot is still there. My only chance is that the receipt says Rg570TI. I am pretty sure Ibanez never made a 570 in TI(purpleish sparkle). I could pull that punch. Do they track ser #? I could find out where the serial # on my receipt went.. that that would be something.

damn i love this site.
post #67 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM

I went into a GC and asked a supposed Ibby afficianado about the price for the Jem7Wh right beside him and he didnt know what guitar i was talking about!
post #68 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470tojem View Post
Yeah I kind of agree . but that idiot is still there. My only chance is that the receipt says Rg570TI. I am pretty sure Ibanez never made a 570 in TI(purpleish sparkle). I could pull that punch. Do they track ser #? I could find out where the serial # on my receipt went.. that that would be something.

damn i love this site.
I wish you the best man, but chanxes are you got hosed. Im sure it happens to everyone at one point. My first "real" guitar was an Ibanez EX360 that the sales person was nice enough to sell me for double the list price, of course I didnt realize that until a few month later when I figured out how buying instruments at an honest dealer works. Try to return it, but if that doesnt work, chalk it up to experience and know that now you can talk to some of the smartest mf'ers on the subject of Ibanez guitars that ever lived.
post #69 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 AM

Every guitar I have ever purchased from GC gets checked before I leave the store. They always pull out the guitar and check the serial number against the receipt.
post #70 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Every guitar I have ever purchased from GC gets checked before I leave the store. They always pull out the guitar and check the serial number against the receipt.
Yeah, But I think this guy wrote down the wrong serial # on purpose. And I didn't even think to look at it. Too excited I guess hehe. I think I might call them and just ask if they have records of guitar serial #'s they sold. It's worth a shot I guess. I won't say anything else.
post #71 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You can't get in or out of the GC here without getting a guard to check the equipment in and out.
post #72 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 PM

I told them that my old 15W Squire practice amp was tube, and they bought it off me for $150. They didnt even open the back. I also worked them down to 1000 bucks flat, after tax and with the J custom case, when I bought my JS1000BP. I played the "Under a Glass Moon" solo once and some dude there gave me a free set of strings. Sometimes, I love those guys
smitty
post #73 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM

Thumbs down Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

I hate guitar center with a passion, I went in today for the first time in a few months and I was looking at some ibanez i played a jem,rga321,rg2620,rg2550,etc. and i really liked the 2620 it was $1149. so I told the guy it was discontinued and being blownout at $750 online, he wouldnt believe me, so i showed him and he said he would match it.

all they had was a floor model, and it had a large chip out of the bottom so I keep trying to work the price down. so he says 650 out the door, then i pulled out 500 cash and said this is my final offer, he said no, and i started to leave.

then he says wait, let me check with the manager. Comes back and said its yours 500 out the door with j craft case. so i was really excited about it threw the money down and he went to get the case.

here is where it gets bad, he goes to put it in the case and drops the ****ing gutar face down on the corner of an amp and knocked a large chunk out of it.

then i lost my mind and started flippin' the **** out, and cursing guitar center, and all of its employees.

I'm actually excited to be banned from guitar center.

also before this happened the guy was so confident that the new s2170fb was made in japan he bet me 50 bucks, so i proved him wrong by showing him online and he refused to pay up.

Last edited by Saffron Shrimp; 01-24-2007 at 07:01 AM.
post #74 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Eh, I think it's different in England. 'Mom an Pop' stores never have anything above, say, RG350-ish, occasionaly I've seen something like an LTD, etc.

Certainly never any JEMs/prestige/J Custom - there just ain't enough 'mature' guitarists around there parts to justify them having anything like that, I guess.

The only place I *EVER* buy anything from is Sound Control - it's a chain store, but the people there are freakin' amazing.

Insanely helpful - I walked in one day and asked about getting a 1x12 cab - now chain store they may be, but they don't stock huge amounts of cabs - so the store clerk phones every single Sound Control in the country for availible 1x12s, writes it all down, prices etc, and then goes and asks all the other staff if they know anyone personally selling a 1x12 - which would lose them a sale, but help me.

Another time, I wanted to try out a Laney GH50L. (this was when I was shopping around for one) They didn't stock them, only order them, so the store clerk who was helping me asked if I came to Norwich often, I said yes, he said give the store a buzz the day before I come next, and he will bring his own Laney GH100 in for me to try out!

THAT is service.

I feel incredibly sorry for all of you having to put up with the service I hear from GC. Simply appalling.
post #75 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM

I've never been in a Guitar Center. I have zero music stores where I live. I mentioned somewhere in another thread that I have to drive forty minutes if I bust a string.
Anyway, I doubt it's a matter of it just being GC. I don't think I've ever liked a single music store that I've ever been. It seems to me that the dealers have a real problem with being objective. One music store I went to was a bunch of old bluegrass and country fans. Just imagine the looks you get when you want to try out an Ibanez or ESP...
Other dealers seem to be die hard fans of certain brands, and heaven forbid if you ask for a guitar that's not a gibson or fender.
As far as the uninformed dealers go, you will get that anywhere.
Please don't be so quick to judge your experiences as the norm for the entire chain.
I used to work in the Wal-Mart electronics department. I went out of my way to learn about all the products we sold so that I could inform customers with the info they needed. I also learned about the products in the other departments nearby. My managers praised me for my knowledge of the store. The backlash to this was that everyone I worked with was an idiot and so all the customers got funneled to me so I had to wait on everyone.
And I was objective, too. I didn't scoff or act like an ass when a customer asked for a particular CD by a band that I didn't care for. I just politely showed them where it was.
To this day, when I meet people, they always remember me and tell me about what good customer service I had.
So bear that in mind when shopping. Sometimes you just have to find the right person.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , boss metal zone , david mccarroll , dual recto , epiphone les paul , evh charvel , evh charvels , floyd rose , guitar playing , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local music store , mesa boogie , mesa cab , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , music store , neck thru , peavey valve king , pedal board , power amp , practice amp , randy rhoads , sam ash , speaker cab , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode