Ahhhh Guitar Center - Page 7 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 PM

Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
My cousin works over in Detroit as an architect, and has bought at the same Guitar Center for the past 10 or 15 years. They absolutely love him, since he spends an hour there every day after work. He's bought 3 guitars there in the last 6 months or so, and constantly getting killer deals. And when he buys a guitar there, not only do they bend over backwards to lower the price, they shower him with strings, cords, picks, straps the works.

Now if I could get the same service when I was there.
I get like that at the local(ish) one in Toledo, OH, being the lead guitarist in the biggest local band.

But I still won't buy any "new" guitars there. If I'm gonna get a new guitar, it better have only been played by me and tested by the guys at the factory.

I can't stand when these kids or these "musicians" who work at GC mess with the stuff, like trying to tune a Floyd Rose without using the Fine-tuners and whatnot.

Of course, sometimes their lack of knowledge and adherence to protocol comes in handy, though, like when I got my RG2027 three years ago. I assume it was priced the way it was because of all the damage to it, but it was all only cosmetic damage to the finish. which was easily fixed, and any decent musician would have know the same. I purchased it used...

For $300.
It was almost impossible to not laugh maniacally as I paid for it.

As I was saying, I'll only buy Used gear there, as the new stuff they have is all the same, and there's no variety to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
My cousin works over in Detroit as an architect, and has bought at the same Guitar Center for the past 10 or 15 years. They absolutely love him, since he spends an hour there every day after work. He's bought 3 guitars there in the last 6 months or so, and constantly getting killer deals. And when he buys a guitar there, not only do they bend over backwards to lower the price, they shower him with strings, cords, picks, straps the works.

Now if I could get the same service when I was there.
Have HIM buy your stuff
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:56 AM

Ancient thread lol, but i felt id contribute two experiences I've had: one with a Daddys, one with a GC.

Guitar Center:

Actual scenario was this...I went in to check out this Jackson Dk2M I was eyeing at the time. I picked it up, went on over to a Lonestar, and plugged in. I played 3 chords, literally, and the sales guy was on me.

Sales guy: "Dude!! That sounds so sick!! You gonna be taking that bad boy home today man? It sounds so awesome, you should definitely pick it up!"

Me: "Can I get a couple more chords in before I make a decision?"

Just wow. And he's still workin' there.

Now, Daddys. Daddys I first thought was like GC but not as bad. Now I am convinced that it is as bad. I saw a guitar online on their site that I really dug, but it was at a different location. I called the location and asked if the guitar was bolt on or neck thru (no pics of the back were on the site). The guy said "I dont know, let me ask my manager". I should have known that right there meant trouble. So basically, I found out the two things I wanted to know and the guy said "ok man, just call your local Daddys, pay a small deposit, and we'll ship it right over there for ya". I did so. A week and a half later, I called to ask about my guitar. The person at my local store said "hold on, I'll call the other location to check on shipping and call you back". When I got the call back, I was shocked...they had sold the guitar I put down a deposit for. I realized that the guitar salesman at the other location wouldnt get any commission if he sent the guitar to my local store and it was sold here, so he ignored a written contract and sold the guitar anyway. I was FURIOUS. I NEVER deal with these morons anymore, and I've stopped dealing with all guitar shops in general except small stores that treat me like a friend and not like a walking dollar sign. Just my 2 cents, lol.
post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

Wow...
The GC in Moosic (right next to Scranton) is awesome. So far...

I've bought a few big ticket items (guitar-amp-pod floor pedal)

Some smaller items (piano bench-dvd's-strings)

Salesmen leave me alone till I need them (although they might still be a little afraid of me-big guy, whacked out beard, long hair)

90% of the sales guys have long hair (makes for a comfortable atmosphere just like back in the 80's)

They all know me by name (even mgr and asst mgr)

Stores about a year old and most people don't have large amounts of extra cash around these parts. Median income is just over $30 k. So it's kind of like GC JR. Which is good for me...

Not a ton of kids/customers in there like back in Jersey. Most of the high ticket guitars have to be ordered which they do happily, just for you to try (they'll have another store ship it over)

When I ordered my USA Ovation they said I didn't need a deposit. If I didn't like it I didn't have to buy it. They'd keep it as stock. (I was floored)

Hated GC back in Jersey, love them now...
post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM

well, just walked into my local one, walked around for 10 min before a headache started to erupt from all these emo kids banging on strings just making noises, not a single sales person came up to me, so I walked out and the retarded emo kid at the little desk by the door was like "did you find everything ok?" so I said, "Yeah, I was just reassuring myself how useless this store really is" and I walked out the door, it was funny...

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 02-23-2008 at 09:03 PM.
post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
well, just walked into my local one, walked around for 10 min before a headache started to erupt from all these emo kids banging on strings just making noises, not a single sales person came up to me, so I walked out and the retarded emo kid at the little desk by the door was like like "did you find everything ok?" so I said, Yeah, I was just reassuring myself how useless this store really is" and I walked out the door, it was funny...
last time I was there some kid challenged me to a "guitar duel" I said no like 15 times but he wouldn't leave me alone. So I was like ok..., I took the Jem and the Jcm800 Halfstack, he took an Epiphone Les Paul with some Line 6 amp. It only took one riff for him to call it quits :\ I hate ppl that always challenge others to a duel, to me it seems like you are saying "I think I rock!" but usually they dont
I left after that because him and his friends started playing the same power chords over and over again and I was already checked out with my Air Norton

>_< oh guitar center........
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 22

Jeff & Shaun that work at gc in Raliegh know their stuff
Patrick, Neal, and Justin at ****** directly across the highway are just as helpful.
Granted i've spent seceral thousand dollars over the years.
There's a newer place up in the triangle called Indoor Storm, a boutique store (Harry's)

GC is a mixture of the convenient and the totally awkward.
Rare guitars and neat things scattered here and there....The only place i can find a ton of music man guitars,Parkers,etc etc.

The sam ash across the street has more boutique amps,guitars and all that jazz.

The younger kids and older guys who can't play kill it for me nomatter where i am.
So called blues' guitarist, wanna be shredder's,guys bringing a whole squad of friends just so they can play green day,gahhhh it's brutal on the senses. (sam ash gives out complimentary ear plugs)

Deals can be found, but only by the savvy. Gretsch roundup for $900,Used GZ, and even some trussart if you get lucky.

If you happen to live near me (central NC) Edwards Music is the happy medium store...smaller in size but still several levels above a mom n pops. They sell Fender,Schector,Ibanez,Taylor,Esp,Alvarez,Marrtin, Dean.etc as well as a decent selection of amps and the widest selection of effects pedals in NC that i've seen. The management attacks the squatters and almost all the staff play in great local bands so they know the drill.

Brad Muffett's is sweeter, but the selection changes so often and most of it is consignment so I'd say 100% service at his place, and 50% selection.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , boss metal zone , david mccarroll , dual recto , epiphone les paul , evh charvel , evh charvels , floyd rose , guitar playing , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local music store , mesa boogie , mesa cab , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , music store , neck thru , peavey valve king , pedal board , power amp , practice amp , randy rhoads , sam ash , speaker cab , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode