Ahhhh Guitar Center - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhh Guitar Center

So I made my rare bi-annual trip to GC today to see if they had any replacement speakers and just to look around, andI realized I don't have the words to describe how much I hate that place. The help is no help and every bit as annoying as a Radio Shack employee. I told the guy what I was looking for and he had to ask me 20 questions about what I needed it for. I needed a damn 10" speaker, who cares what it's for. There was no ambiguity with what I needed,coupled with all the kids playing as loud as they could with bad amps or good amps made to sound bad, and letting the buttons of their jackets scratch the backs of $2000+ guitars. The worst part is as loud as the kids have to play they actually have no ability to play yet. Like the rest of the store wants to hear them suck. I know we've all been at that playing level, but atleast have the decency to know you are terrrible and dont subject an entire store to it.

It's not as bad as the time they wouldn;t sell me a Marshall Cab, but still

In conclution (for anyone without the patience to read the long rant)
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE

also F anyone who posts " tell us how you really feel"
That never was funny so just cut it out already.

Last edited by elcid; 10-14-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

I've found that customer service in just about every field has become increasingly poor. Its sad because one of the few things they have to compete against internet sales is personal attention.
I know your frustration!
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM

I feel your pain...

I never enjoyed GC until I finally found a great sales guy. I wont buy from anyone else, or any other GC location.

If any of you local Atlanta guys care, Billy @ the Atlanta location is the chit. I highly recommend him.
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM

my GC is awesome, I made some good friends with a couple of the guys there. Hell I usually get some killer deals even..

Guess its per store..
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 PM

I went in to the local GC looking for a 1/3 octave EQ (mono)..... sales spent like 1 1/2 hours looking for one at other stores and back room to no avail. So I give them my phone number and tell them to call when they have one I will buy it. No phone call. That's service! So you ask why didn't I just buy it and wait for it to come in???? Well here's the best part..... the salesman put me off saying "it's OK.... he'd get back to me and they order stuff like that in bulk for several stores so no need to make special order. I haven't been back.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM

last time I was in one it was so cramped one of the salespeople almost knocked me into a stack of amps when I went aound one of the isles., good thing I have good balance. Of course I should have just went head first into the stack for the hell of it, probably would have been the most fun I would ever have in a GC.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 10
Talking Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
last time I was in one it was so cramped one of the salespeople almost knocked me into a stack of amps when I went aound one of the isles., good thing I have good balance. Of course I should have just went head first into the stack for the hell of it, probably would have been the most fun I would ever have in a GC.
If that would have happened then "1800-Lets Sue" would have been in order!
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Doctor says I need a backiotomy.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Ahhhh Guitar Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
So I made my rare bi-annual trip to GC today to see if they had any replacement speakers and just to look around, andI realized I don't have the words to describe how much I hate that place. The help is no help and every bit as annoying as a Radio Shack employee. I told the guy what I was looking for and he had to ask me 20 questions about what I needed it for. I needed a damn 10" speaker, who cares what it's for. There was no ambiguity with what I needed,coupled with all the kids playing as loud as they could with bad amps or good amps made to sound bad, and letting the buttons of their jackets scratch the backs of $2000+ guitars. The worst part is as loud as the kids have to play they actually have no ability to play yet. Like the rest of the store wants to hear them suck. I know we've all been at that playing level, but atleast have the decency to know you are terrrible and dont subject an entire store to it.

It's not as bad as the time they wouldn;t sell me a Marshall Cab, but still

In conclution (for anyone without the patience to read the long rant)
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE
F THAT PLACE

also F anyone who posts " tell us how you really feel"
That never was funny so just cut it out already.
My good old friend elcid you know that good customer service in GC is the exeption not the rule! what store this happen in??? I bet it was at one on Halstead in the North Side.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Imagine the faces when you knock over a few Mesa Triple Rec's....mwahahah. [Urkle]opps! Did I dooo that..[/Urkle]
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
My good old friend elcid you know that good customer service in GC is the exeption not the rule! what store this happen in??? I bet it was at one on Halstead in the North Side.
Today was the Arlington Heights store, the Highland Park stoer was the one where they almmost wouldn't sell me a Marshall Cab. I've been to the Halsted store many times, but I dont think I've ever dealt with them.

I really like The Music Store on Irving Park Rd. They usually don;t ahve much but I got my 1964 Princeton there and they did have a head from a company called Road. I took a picture with my cellphone just to prove to my wife that Road head does exist.
I really like Music Exchange on Lincoln (used to be on Clark). They usually have alot of nice stuff and more of an adult clientel. I think they only deal Fender, Gibson, Martin. etc etc, they usually have lots of vintage stuff too

Last edited by elcid; 10-14-2006 at 08:11 PM.
post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 08:18 PM

I hate GC too. the only thing they stock here are BCrich bronze series, strats, PRS, epiphones, and Boss metal zones. The employees think they are so cool and I hate that it takes 15 minutes to buy a pack of strings.
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
I hate that it takes 15 minutes to buy a pack of strings.
why is this? it's quicker to mail order them off the net then line up at the store!

(the level of service is as bad at my local billy hydes)
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 01:13 AM

Mine is great, except for the fact that 1) most of the REALLY nice amps arent plugged in....and 2) they havent replaced the tubes in any of their amps in years. Oh and they put all the nice stuff at the top.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Today was the Arlington Heights store, the Highland Park stoer was the one where they almmost wouldn't sell me a Marshall Cab. I've been to the Halsted store many times, but I dont think I've ever dealt with them.

I really like The Music Store on Irving Park Rd. They usually don;t ahve much but I got my 1964 Princeton there and they did have a head from a company called Road. I took a picture with my cellphone just to prove to my wife that Road head does exist.
I really like Music Exchange on Lincoln (used to be on Clark). They usually have alot of nice stuff and more of an adult clientel. I think they only deal Fender, Gibson, Martin. etc etc, they usually have lots of vintage stuff too
Wow that is a smart move NOT to sell you the cab .

Regards

André

Tags
air norton , amp settings , boss metal zone , david mccarroll , dual recto , epiphone les paul , evh charvel , evh charvels , floyd rose , guitar playing , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local music store , mesa boogie , mesa cab , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , music store , neck thru , peavey valve king , pedal board , power amp , practice amp , randy rhoads , sam ash , speaker cab , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode