Anyone had any contact with ET Guitars lately??? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Anyone had any contact with ET Guitars lately???

Hey folks,

I ordered a new custom neck from ET guitars in Australia (banner here on Jemsite) almost 6 months ago. Put more than 50% down on it. It is a Jem profile neck w/ vine inlay for an RG AANJ....

Anyway the original eta was 10-12 weeks. At the 3 month mark I hadn't heard a word from them so I sent a very friendly Email asking for an update. No reply. Gave it another month & sent another Email, again very friendly - I'm not in a rush per se, I would just like an update & estimated completion time. I know custom work takes time & custom shops can get behind schedule... Again no reply whatsoever. So a couple weeks ago I sent a communication through their website's internal "contact us" page. Same sort of thing - just asking for an update. I still haven't received any reply of any sort.

So now I'm starting to get upset. Busy or not, this is not how you treat customers spending $500+ on a new custom neck.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had any recent dealings with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: Anyone had any contact with ET Guitars lately???

Yeah I recently had a job through ET, and the job went in late 2010 and I got it back a few months ago... Unfortunatly its a slow process... with Ernie... but the job does get done..

Keep pushing emails through for an answer, go to his facebook page etc..

good luck !!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I've heard this same issue from other members. But, they all got their stuff eventually. I also saw Ernie post before that he doesn't sit at his PC 24/7, and sometimes messages get overlooked when they go to the SPAM folder or if he's catching up through pages of emails--keep trying!
Maybe you could PM one of our Australian members and ask if they could give him a call. Or, spend 10 bucks on an international phone card and call him.
Seems he's always come through, but delays happen.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Reviews: 1

There s nothing worse than not knowing whats going on!
The customer deserves some kind of answer, Damn.....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
Hey folks,

I ordered a new custom neck from ET guitars in Australia (banner here on Jemsite) almost 6 months ago. Put more than 50% down on it. It is a Jem profile neck w/ vine inlay for an RG AANJ....

Anyway the original eta was 10-12 weeks. At the 3 month mark I hadn't heard a word from them so I sent a very friendly Email asking for an update. No reply. Gave it another month & sent another Email, again very friendly - I'm not in a rush per se, I would just like an update & estimated completion time. I know custom work takes time & custom shops can get behind schedule... Again no reply whatsoever. So a couple weeks ago I sent a communication through their website's internal "contact us" page. Same sort of thing - just asking for an update. I still haven't received any reply of any sort.

So now I'm starting to get upset. Busy or not, this is not how you treat customers spending $500+ on a new custom neck.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had any recent dealings with them?
Stick with it, I have been waiting for a swirled body which I ordered through Ernie a little while back. Ernie has always got back to me with an update. I have been down to ET Guitars and met Ernie and he was a really nice guy.

-Wolfram
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Stick with it, I have been waiting for a swirled body which I ordered through Ernie a little while back. Ernie has always got back to me with an update. I have been down to ET Guitars and met Ernie and he was a really nice guy.

-Wolfram
Hey Wolf thanks for the input. I have heard/read rave reviews about his work, and our initial communication regarding my order had a bit of Q&A and Ernie was very responsive & great to chat with. I felt really good about my order when I placed it, even though I'm spending as much on this neck alone as I've spent on entire guitars...

I have just been very surprised and dismayed at the complete lack of communication & response since the order was placed. I'm really ok with it taking as long as it takes... No rush at all aside from excitement. I would have expected a short response at the very least. I don't really understand or see any justification for completely ignoring a customer's inquiries.

But I'm hanging in there... I expect this neck to be spectacular though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
But I'm hanging in there... I expect this neck to be spectacular though.
I'm sure you won't be dissapointed

-Wolfram
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok just an update for anyone who saw this post a few months ago...

I received my new neck today and it is, in a word, stunning! It is probably the nicest neck I have ever seen.

We ended up doing a 5-pc construction out of flamed maple and purpleheart, with an ebony fingerboard, SS frets and the full vine completely done in natural abalone. Because I wanted real abalone, we could not scallop the top 4 frets (the abalone shell is too thin for scalloping) but other then that this neck came out dead on Jem specs. We left it a natural very fine sanded & oiled finish so it feels velvety smooth. The fretwork looks dead-on (based on close visual inspection including busting out the calipers and straight-edge). I can't give a playing review yet as the guitar has not been completed yet, but I can tell you this neck looks and feels amazing holding it in my hands.

So I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else was considering using Ernie. Yes, it was several months wait. Yes there were times (such as when this thread was originated) that the communication broke down. Yes, the neck was moderately expensive (more than the cheap necks on the bay but much less than trying to get a Jem neck from Ibanez). But considering all of these points would I use and/or recommend Ernie again?

Based upon my overall experience and very close scrutinization of my final product I would say ABSOLUTELY! Ernie is a very good guy to work with, even though when he gets backed up he can be slow in responding. He is very nice, considerate, and down-to-earth. Considering the work he did for me, the absolute top notch workmanship and materials, I would not hesitate using him again. In fact I am so impressed with this neck I've decided I want to recreate it exactly but with a MAPLE fingerboard (and still the full natural abalone vine) for a new project in the near future... but first things first. I gotta finish the project I'm in the middle of NOW!

So Ernie, in case you happen to read this - yes I got frustrated with the lack of response in the middle of the build. But I am absolutely stoked on the finished product and really looking forward to working with you again in the near future! Thank you so much for the hard work and impeccable build. It is truly a stunning piece of work!

All in all - well worth every penny and every second of waiting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

Pics, dude--PICS!!!!!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Ask and you shall receive...

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/...Jem/?start=all

I will continue updating this album with pics as the project progresses...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Banned

Gorgeous!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes I'm really quite impressed with it. Really exceeded my expectations. I had a custom Jem body made out of 1-pc Korina by Chris Mai and its going to Andrew (our Jemsite buddy andrewsfury) for his signature "purple ice" swirl. Got a new Edge Lo Pro from Rich on the way... Within the next month this concept should be coming to life! My first ever custom from scratch from different craftsman like this. I've bought custom guitars before, but finished ones that I played and liked before buying. Never done this before so I just hope it plays and sounds as good as I know it will look!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 10

neck looks beauty - and it sounds like it should be an amazing guitar...i look forward to seeing updates

Tags
jem , neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode