Buyer BEWARE - Harpers Guitars Scam - Page 2 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 02:06 AM

Ok, maybe I was a little too harsh. How's this:

Order a $2000 guitar from him and pay with your credit card. When you take possession of the guitar send a letter to your credit card company fighting the charge. Just use your imagination as to the reason why.... Call the bastid up (nothing in writing that he can use against you Gabe!) and tell him you'll send the guitar back when he sends you all your gear back and refunds you whatever else you're out. Meanwhile he's out a $2000 guitar and the funds are tied up by your credit card.

I'm so devious. ;-)
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLunatic

Order a $2000 guitar from him and pay with your credit card. When you take possession of the guitar send a letter to your credit card company fighting the charge. Just use your imagination as to the reason why.... Call the bastid up (nothing in writing that he can use against you Gabe!) and tell him you'll send the guitar back when he sends you all your gear back and refunds you whatever else you're out. Meanwhile he's out a $2000 guitar and the funds are tied up by your credit card.

I'm so devious. ;-)
G
...note to self, "Self, never buy or sell anything from/to GuitarLunatic."
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:19 PM

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:24 PM

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm so devious. ;-)
G
Somehow I believe that's illegal. Plus, I would feel bad about doing something like that. Besides, he makes guitars on order - he's not a guitar store.

I just want my stuff back! How hard is it to put everything in a box and ship it? God this is driving me nuts!

Gabe
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I'm so devious. ;-)
G

that sounds smart, send the guy another $2000 when he won't even send the existing stuff back, the only thing he'd gain here (besides a law suit) is he'd be able to stop payment on his credit card when he didn't receive the guitar.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 05:14 PM

LOL!!!

Okay boys and girls...

Repeat after me...

H-U-M-O-R

Now look it up in the dictionary.

;-)
G
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:12 PM

in case you don't find it, try

H-U-M-O-U-R
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurich
in case you don't find it, try

H-U-M-O-U-R
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

One-upped again! Ok, if my little jabs weren't funny, then THAT definitely was!

I always did like Canadians... ;-)
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a postcard from the BBB while on vacation. They say the complaint has been sent off and is awaiting response from Harper's Guitars. I don't expect a response. Here's the BBB data on the company:

Taken from BBB.org

Harper's Guitars
P.O. Box 2877
Apple Valley CA 92307

Phone: Not Available
Fax: Not Available
EMail: Not Available
Web Address: Not Available

Business Started: Unknown
File Open Date: 10/05/01
Last Report Date: 04/24/02
Principal Contact: Unknown.
Bureau ID: 13160749

Nature of Business
This company's business is the sale of musical instruments.

Bureau File Experience
Based on our standards, we rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business record. An unsatisfactory rating is given when a pattern in the company's customer complaints causes us concern, when the company does not respond to complaints, or when it will not substantiate its advertising claims. In this case, our complaint history for this company shows that the business has not responded to customer complaints brought to its attention by the Bureau. A Better Business Bureau report is based on our file information and experience with an individual company over the past three years. The Bureau does not endorse, recommend, or disapprove of any company, product or service.
----------------

Read and learn...

Gabe
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:25 PM

You know, he has a guestbook on his site. Concidered posting a little message there? Just a thought.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn
You know, he has a guestbook on his site. Concidered posting a little message there? Just a thought.
But then, anything other than positive messages will probably be deleted by the man himself...

- raijin
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a surprise in the mail. I got the body! Plus all my parts. No e-mail about a tracking number as promised though (which may have prevented all this mess from happening).

I'm not impressed with the body, I'll say. The wood has some dings in it which were touched up. There is no route or hole for a selector switch as requested. The sustainiac pickup will not fit in the pickup hole (then why the hell did I send all my hardware?).

I'm just glad it's over. I'll finish up the guitar body on my own.

Case closed!
Gabe
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Vendor

He probably never finished it, just sent it to you as it was. After all there's no way you'd end up a happy customer anyway
Rich is online  
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:49 PM

Reviews: 1
I'm glad you at least got it.
Typical of the work though, he didn't route my electronics cavity the right way and wasn't willing to fix it, not that I'd send the body back to him. I'd probably NEVER see it again. Be glad you got it I guess and chalk it up to a VERY bad experience. Still can't wait to see once its done.
Bamm

Tags
alder body , custom guitar , custom jem , guitar body , monkey grip , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode