Concept Art for Sabbath guitar - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Concept Art for Sabbath guitar

So I have had the privelage of doing some guitars for Barclay Center in Brooklyn for a few artists...Barclay presents them with these guitars as gifts as a thank you for playing their venue. So far I have done one for Pearl Jam, P!nk, and John Mayer.

They have contacted me again to do one for Sabbath on 3.31. Here is one concept I have come up with...opinions?

It won't be on this guitar - it's just to give them an idea. They have me get the guitar and don't usually have a high budget - so I grab something off Craigslist or GC if they have something. I'm thinking this shape however. Headstock will then have the Barclay Center Logo on it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: Concept Art for Sabbath guitar

It is cool looking but the 3 is hard to see with the bridge pickup and bridge in the way.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Reviews: 120

That's cool, but would be better served on an SG, you know being Sabbath and all.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Got the gig! I wanted to do an SG, but I couldn't find any to fit the budget. They are not concerned with quality of the instrument - so I need to always find the cheapest possible if I want to make any money.

Stay posted for pics of this as it happens! HOPEFULLY this time around they can get a photo of the band with it for my site.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Wait...you supply the art work AND the guitar?

Glad you at least get the privilage
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it's just the event planning department at Barclay - so they don't know anything about this kinda stuff. And usually I'm not given a while lot of time. So for them to find the guitar, ship it to me,etc.

Just much easier for me to find one on Craigslist local or a Guitar Center...they pay 50% up front so that give me the $$ to get all my materials in order and start right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Wait...you supply the art work AND the guitar?

Glad you at least get the privilage
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Banned

I really like your design. The font looks good too.
I agree that 13 is hard to see with gold hardware. Maybe black make it stand out more.
SG shape guitar is also better but might be harder to find quicker.
The LP will still look nice.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

This was just a basic mock up...They don't care about quality of the guitar - so it will be a basic $150 Epiphone LP from GC. Likely black or chrome hardware. Could paint it to blend in the with the "13".

Looked for the SG's - but none within budget.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 15

This might be blasphemy but how about a LTD Viper? It'll get you closer to the SG shape and fairly easy to find (at least in my 'hood).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I've got a $150 budget for the guitar itself... Doesn't get me much.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Cool concept, I just wish there was some real budget for these promo guitars to actually be made from higher end guitars. I kind of feel like doing all this cool artwork on a low end guitar is like the music equivalent of a giant novelty check. It would be sweet to see the bands actually use these guitars on stage.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Cool concept, I just wish there was some real budget for these promo guitars to actually be made from higher end guitars. I kind of feel like doing all this cool artwork on a low end guitar is like the music equivalent of a giant novelty check. It would be sweet to see the bands actually use these guitars on stage.
yeah, its like these radio station giveaways,, " Win a guitar signed by *instert band name here*" and its a crappy squire. I see this stuff on CL all the time.

But this is one I wouldn't mind having : ) It will be the coolest budget guitar ever. If its an Epi it will at least be playable
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

When I first started working with them I asked if the guitar was intended to be played by the band - or just art...you can figure out the answer. Kills me too cause I would love nothing more than to possibly see one of my creations go on tour or in a video! I see these as the type of pieces that will likely be on some charity auction one day - or given to their children.

I ended up going with an Ibanez that was shaped like a LP. They don't give me a whole lot of time - and GC had nothing in my budget. The show is the 31st, so I want to get it shipped by the 25th. I'm in Chicago and it's going to NY.

I had an incident with the one I did for P!NK where it was supposed to arrive before Sunday - IT DIDN'T! It got there on Monday. Fortunately she was playing two shows, and they gave it to her then. Still messed things up.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Here is a preview...

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode