Crazy prices for Jem DY - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Crazy prices for Jem DY

What happend to the prices for Jem DY the last months ? I have been looking for a decent Jem DY for a while now. And i never belived that a Jem DY (not mint) were sold for $ 2495 on Ebay. With shipping and tax it will be $ 3000 for me. I guess i have to wait until one shows up i Scandinavia. Because very few people will pay that price now in a very difficult second hand market now a days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Re: Crazy prices for Jem DY

This happens every year with one or two JEMs.
People in the JEM community get all fixed on some JEM and everyone wants it.
A few good ones go up for sale and people start buying them lot crazy.
Then Joe Shmo decides his JEM is now the most wanted thing on earth.
Then he and two other guys put their JEMs up for sale on Ebay for $1000 more than the last few sold and rune the market for the rest of the year.
They in turn never sell their JEMs.
The JEMs do what I call, "Live" on Ebay for a very long time until they take them down.

Before this I was offered several JEM777DYs for $1400 in 8-9.5 condition.

This will pass as it always does.

I've seen a few JEMs on Ebay for over two years.
Some people don't want to sell their, "Prize" JEM.

I've been trying to buy a UV neck from a guy for a few months now.
He want he wanted $600 now he raised the price to $650.
In the mean time I've bought another UV neck for $225.
I also got a UV97 for $850 in mint condition with a UV1000C case.
And, I got a UV777PBK with a UV100C case in mint shape for $699.

There will always be more guitars and parts at better prices.
Now days with the internet, nothing is hard to find.

Just wait a bit, DYs will come down.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. This information make me sleep better.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

That said, although the DY was one of the more common JEMs, it was phased out nearly 20 years ago and good examples at cheap prices will become more and more scarce. eBay allows the market to find its own level and that might just be at prices a lot more today than they were 10 years ago.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Very few JEMs sell on a regular basis for more than they were new.
It's just a trend at the moment.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Patience is the virtue of a good hunter. Regardless if your hunting for prey or a deal.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 25

prices have to go up, cause they have been down for a while now !!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
That said, although the DY was one of the more common JEMs, it was phased out nearly 20 years ago and good examples at cheap prices will become more and more scarce. eBay allows the market to find its own level and that might just be at prices a lot more today than they were 10 years ago.
I've talked with Sebastian about the DY in particular and we don't agree on this one. There are a lot of factors in play that make the DY not comparable to either of the Universes that he listed. Among them:

1. It has been out of production for a very long time.
2. A number of features of the guitar (neon paint, maple board, fade-prone pickups) don't tend to age well and make good examples of the guitar even harder to come by.
3. There was a serious recession in the US for a few years, where the largest percentage of the guitars are.
4. Most of the real bargains were snapped up by collectors who aren't likely to put the guitars back into circulation.
5. Even the people who sold at bargain prices probably turned a profit in many cases. Why shouldn't we assume that the same thing wouldn't happen with the guitars that were all over eBay the last three years?

I know almost or certain that I could make some serious profit if decided to sell some guitars today (GMC, LNG, SK, my Voyagers). But there are other guitars where I could at best break even and some of those are equally as difficult to find. A few I'd almost certainly lose money. The point is that the market is specific to the guitar; you can't make broad generalizations.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Vendor

Anybody that passes on a true 9.5 DY for $1400 has a hole in their head. Everybody knows that's over 2k all day long and twice on Sundays.

Very FEW Jem's are selling below their new price, if they're in the same condition as they were when new. Several are double, and some triple.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Anybody that passes on a true 9.5 DY for $1400 has a hole in their head. Everybody knows that's over 2k all day long and twice on Sundays.

Very FEW Jem's are selling below their new price, if they're in the same condition as they were when new. Several are double, and some triple.
The DY was not that high on my list of JEMs I wanted.
I bought other JEMs that were even better deals at eh time.
I'm down to just few JEMs I don't have on my list, the DY is one of them.
The 10th, VDY, BFP, FP2 and others were more important to me so I passed on the DYs.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Vendor

Next time you want to pass on a grand send them my way and I'll pay the finders fee.
You always post deals that are not attainable. You could search many years and never see a "mint in case" UV777 for $700. In fact I've never seen one. I just paid that for a beater.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Sounds good!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Bryancap77 always posts about unbelievable deals he found on Jems and passes them off as everyday prices. I've argued with him about that before. He scours Craigslist and when he finds these deals from people who don't know the value of what they have and then he pounces on them. Those are outliers and not representative of real prices.

I bought a VDY (which I sold to Sebastian) for $1200 BIN on eBay. I saw the listing by blind luck 15 minutes after it was made and snagged it. Had I been 15 minutes later, there's a good chance I wouldn't have gotten it. I've not seen a similar deal since and it would be misguided to suggest that someone sit around waiting for another $1200 VDY to come along. Some people just get lucky.

Could I see $700 mint in case UV777's one day becoming a reality? Maybe. But I'm with Rich, I could look for a long time and never find that deal, so I wouldn't tell anyone that it should be their target price.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM

$700 is a deal, $1100 is more the norm for a UV777PBK.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Vendor

On ebay the average is $1500+ for claimed Mint guitars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode