The fakes are looking better.... - Page 6 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 AM

Re: The fakes are looking better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Yu wan buy PGheM I sell yu fo 10 dolla

Scarified long time!
ahahahhhahah!
not a bad deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Even custom agents sell relatively cheap. There's no disputing at least some of them were nice guitars, and of course the lore is, the reason Gibson initiated the suit was because Ibanez was making them better than the corporate crap Norlin was panderring.
To leave the copyright infringement aspect out of the lawsuit story is just silly. Almost like saying Gibson was making crap guitars that Ibanez copied to a T but were somehow better even though they were supposed to be exactly the same. I know a lot of companies in the 70s were doing stupid things, but to say copying a turd makes a better turd doesnt make sense. Im sure some of the Ibanez knock offs were nice gutiars, but so were some of the Norlins.
post #78 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Vendor

The copyright infringement only gives them the ability to sue. Gibson sues for it only when it suits their purpose. When a company is making better guitars and undercutting your price, starting to dig into the bottom line, then they'll act. Otherwise they'll turn a blind eye to it.
post #79 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM

My moneys in the post Davey
post #80 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM

I don't know about the bolt-on Les Paul copies, but I went through 3 Gibson ES-175's before I got my '78 Ibanez FA-100 copy, and the FA was a far better guitar. I still have it now, and won't ever get rid of it. It isn't as good as a Gibson L4, but it is nicer than almost every 70's Gibson 175 I've ever played (and I've played 100 or so; big Steve Howe fanatic back then).

post #81 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The copyright infringement only gives them the ability to sue. Gibson sues for it only when it suits their purpose. When a company is making better guitars and undercutting your price, starting to dig into the bottom line, then they'll act. Otherwise they'll turn a blind eye to it.
Who doesnt sue only when it suits their purpose? Lawsuits are expensive and time consuming. To say Gibson only sued Ibanez because they were making better instruments cheaper is opinion at best. Ibanez copied Gibsons patent too closely and got sued for it. Personally I think every company that makes a Strat, Tele, SG, LP, Explorer or symmetrical V guitars should have to pay royalties to Fender or Gibson.
post #82 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Personally I think every company that makes a Strat, Tele, SG, LP, Explorer or symmetrical V guitars should have to pay royalties to Fender or Gibson.
There needs to be space for originality in guitar making. If someone can take a gibson body shape and make a better guitar or change something about it in a radical, cool new way, then they should be free to do that. Dont patents expire after like 20 years? I think i remember reading something like that at one point but I could be wrong. The bottom line here is yes, the LP shape is a "gibson" shape, but instead of suing peoples balls off Gibson and others should focus that money on improving their product. I know TONS of people who can afford a Gibson but buy guitars like Agiles because they cant justify paying four times the price for a guitar that is in most cases only slightly better. It's just like Apple...if they put as much money into improving products as they do into advertising them, they'd have the finest product on the market and not have to deal with products that cost half as much being rated equally great.
post #83 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Vendor

Quote:
To say Gibson only sued Ibanez because they were making better instruments cheaper is opinion at best. Ibanez copied Gibsons patent too closely and got sued for it. .
You've already backed up the point, they weren't that close. The headstocks were though. And it's not opinion. Ibanez was cutting into Gibson bottom line. I don't remember Greco getting sued, who was also marketting the exact same guitars. Plenty of companies have done copies, the only ones to get sued are the ones that cut into Gibson profitability.
post #84 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You've already backed up the point, they weren't that close. The headstocks were though. And it's not opinion. Ibanez was cutting into Gibson bottom line. I don't remember Greco getting sued, who was also marketting the exact same guitars. Plenty of companies have done copies, the only ones to get sued are the ones that cut into Gibson profitability.
Fact- They were cutting into Gibson's bottom line
Opinion- Ibanez was sued for making a better guitar
post #85 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Vendor

I can agree with that.
But, they were making a better guitar, cheaper
post #86 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I can agree with that.
But, they were making a better guitar, cheaper

fck'n ball buster
post #87 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Personally I think every company that makes a Strat, Tele, SG, LP, Explorer or symmetrical V guitars should have to pay royalties to Fender or Gibson.
But didn't Les Paul make his body shape from Archtop Jazz electrics, eccept his was solid bodied? So with that thinking, he should pay Guild and DeArmond and the such.
post #88 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
But didn't Les Paul make his body shape from Archtop Jazz electrics, eccept his was solid bodied? So with that thinking, he should pay Guild and DeArmond and the such.
Id say thats different enough, like the Destroyer II was different enough from an Explorer or the Dean Cadillac is different enough from a LP. Though Gibson did have thei ES line too. Im talking about companies that copy the design almost exactly. You can look at a Les Paul and an old Guild and clearly see differences where the LP was something different. How many companies copied the Strat almost exactly? They are profitting off the Strat or LP or whatever design that they had nothing to do with. John Suhr makes a damn nice guitar but if Fender didnt give him the shape he'd probably be making damn nice cabinets. People want the Les Paul look, but dont want to pay the price so other companies copy the look and pass it off as something new. Very few original body styles have come along in the last 40+ years. Having to pay royalties might change that.

Look how many people here (probably myself included) cried foul when Paradise tried to put Angel Grips on his guitars. That was one little part of a different guitar, no where near what other makers took from the guys in the 50's
post #89 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM

I would say the last "real" innovation in guitar was the Floyd Rose.
post #90 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I would say the last "real" innovation in guitar was the Floyd Rose.
Not vines?

Tags
agile interceptor , ebony fretboards , headstock design , headstock shape , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , john suhr , squire strat , steve howe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ibanez+RG1527+how to spot fakes
how to spot ibanez fakes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode