how to make sure you get what you buy? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

how to make sure you get what you buy?

hey there, I'm about to buy my first Ibanez Jem, it's a 777 VDY.
I'm from belgium and it's located in the US so I can't really check much.
in the pictures it's the real thing, what worries me is that he offered to sell it for $1,621.00 shipping included... he's not giving the serial number because "... people can use the serial to sell fakes..."
original price was 1,649.75 + shipping to belgium around $250

will i ever get this guitar once i pay, and will it be the one from the pictures?

the site i found it on is ioffer.com which has a bulk load of chibanez for sale also, which makes me even more suspicious, but than again he's selling two real jem's the VDY and a FPB among more little stuff (has a shop on there i think).

is this to be trusted? any advice is welcome.
cheers
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: how to make sure you get what you buy?

Only pay with a way that Insures that if you dont get what advertised, you recieve a refund.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

how i do that? it's the first time i buy in the US...
so best not with paypal or any online payment method?
but through my bank so they can freeze the money till all is ok orso?
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 1

I have done many overseas trans-actions using pay pal, unless things have changed, I would assume it would be ok to use Paypal.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I don't think I've seen any fake 777 VDYs. They're mostly the 7VWH fakes with the vine.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

so best to let him send me an invoice to paypal so i got his account specs?
also the price isn't that low then? just found an another one for 1000 in the UK which is about the same amount as this one in €.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jister View Post
so best to let him send me an invoice to paypal so i got his account specs?
also the price isn't that low then? just found an another one for 1000 in the UK which is about the same amount as this one in .
Bear in mind that you will have to pay import duty as well if you buy the guitar from the US. If you were to buy from the UK there would be no import duty as both Belgium and the UK are EU member states, shipping would also be cheaper.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Bear in mind that you will have to pay import duty as well if you buy the guitar from the US. If you were to buy from the UK there would be no import duty as both Belgium and the UK are EU member states, shipping would also be cheaper.
any experience how much this duty can be? I'm on a quite tight budget. the UK one is posted about a month ago, so not sure if it's still for sale... mail him but no answer yet. I'm psyched to get my first JEM, happy like a little boy on xmas! but i don't won't to rush it and make any mistakes...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Vendor

I'd never trust anything listed on ioffer.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
any experience how much this duty can be? I'm on a quite tight budget. the UK one is posted about a month ago, so not sure if it's still for sale... mail him but no answer yet. I'm psyched to get my first JEM, happy like a little boy on xmas! but i don't won't to rush it and make any mistakes...
You can use the import duty calculator below to work out what your total landed cost would be. Remember to include the shipping/insurance price on the calculation form as you are charged duty/vat on the shipping as well.

I would also take Rich's advice not to trust anything on Ioffer. There is considerable risk involved.

Whereabouts did you see one for sale in the UK??

EDIT: Here's link to import duty calculator:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 07-05-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

good news the one from the uk is still for sale so i think i'll go with that one.
the one from ioffer used all ready 2 different e-mails and when i asked about that gave me a story that she's selling stuff from her husband and gets confused sometimes... so that just makes it a bit more sketchy... although the seller has to for sale also a FPB... i don't know rather the english one and no import taxes :-)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
good news the one from the uk is still for sale so i think i'll go with that one.
the one from ioffer used all ready 2 different e-mails and when i asked about that gave me a story that she's selling stuff from her husband and gets confused sometimes... so that just makes it a bit more sketchy... although the seller has to for sale also a FPB... i don't know rather the english one and no import taxes :-)
Go with whatever feels better. But, just because someone has more than 1 email shouldn't be cause for alarm. If in doubt--ask for pics.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

he/she said to send a pic with him/her standing in the pic with the guitar and holding a paper with my naam on so i guess it ligit, didn't get the picture yet but if i do... anyways the uk one will come cheaper so... anyway thanks for the advise and help.
the guy from the uk sell it through guitarmart.co.uk guess thats solid...
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

the seller is now sending me this.
Hi Jethro,
The other buyer ended up with unexpected car bills.
The guitar is still available. I need to get rid of all my soon to be ex-husband's stuff.
What price would you be able to do on the Jem?
I'm not an expert, but I do play too and know the approximate values of these.
I'd consider a reasonable offer that would help me clean out the house, plus get you the guitar. Keep in mind that the guitar is already priced quite a bit below market value--even with the taxes you mentioned.
But, I'll consider reasonable offers.

i would say it sounds fishy, but i did get a picture of the guitar with my email address in it on a piece of paper...
and he/she also has 2 other jems for sale which look genuine. hmm what to do...
i really want one, been looking all week now... and the seller from the UK (rob777vdy) turn out to be a bit of a paranoid psycho...
but this sounds just to be a to good a story, which makes me paranoia :-)
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I need to get rid of all my soon to be ex-husband's stuff.

The line in her recent reply to you that I have quoted would have me walking away from that deal. Sounds like she doesn't even own it. Could be a scorned woman on the warpath.

Tags
ibanez jem 777 vdy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode