Ibanez UV77-MC Swirl Value? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez UV77-MC Swirl Value?

Hello - I'm considering selling my 90's Ibanez UV77-MC. It's all original, has an incredible swirl, and plays perfectly. It has dings and chips, but again, the swirl makes up for quite a bit in my opinion. I'm trying to get handle on where to price it.

It seems to me that the only authentic original UV swirls that pop-up for sale are in Japan, or somewhere else outside the USA. With the lack of inventory in the USA, and the prices seemingly climbing, where should I price this guitar? Based on the latter, I was thinking around the $7500 range. Otherwise, I may just keep it in my collection another 5 years and re-assess. Does anyone have any opinions? I don't have enough posts under my account to post the link to pics, but send me a message and I can provide pics and info.

I also have an original FP that I had signed by Vai himself. Might put that one up for sale as well, but again, not sure of pricing. Believe that one is an '88, all original (including case), good condition.

Truly appreciate the knowledge on this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez UV77-MC Swirl Value?

Link to pictures:
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Vendor

It's an MKR, very good swirl for an MKR, but you have very unrealistic expectations even it it was dead mint and I'd have to call that very rough condition. I sold that guitar years ago when it was super clean for $2600, long before everybody started to get really picky about relative values between MHR's and ATD's

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Rich! Very helpful....and likely brings me back down to reality I had the opportunity to buy an ATD at around the same time, and although they are more desirable, it was just too ugly of a pink swirl! To me personally, I don't think I'll ever sell this guitar for anywhere near $2600 for the simple fact that you just can't go out and get another swirl like this one, and they seem to get more rare each year that passes. Second, and more importantly, I love how the swirl looks hanging on my wall! It brings me back to that Vai era! Crazy that you sold this exact one years ago! Anyway, thanks for your input, I truly appreciate it!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Vendor

I wasn't valuing it, just stating what I sold it for many many years ago. It's a really good swirl for an MKR, but it's still an MKR in rough condition. To me it's worth more than an ugly ATD in like condition.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool. No worries at all. I appreciate your opinion...and blown away that you sold this exact guitar before! Small world. I'm with you on the comparison of an ugly ATD in like condition. Not sure I even want to sell this one, but am on the fence! Thanks again Rich.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 PM

This is a "for sale" section, not an, "I'm kind of thinking about maybe selling it, I don't know, just sort of, you know..I don't even know what it's worth!" section.

If it's for sale, put up a price. If it isn't, then discuss it in the proper section.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mod Edit - Sorry Mr Moderator, I didn't realise I was posting in the wrong section, please feel free to move my post to wherever you feel more appropriate. Thanks in advance

There, that's better isn't it! - Jono

Last edited by jono; 11-09-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 13

I'm surprised that the thread is still open, I would not buy it, overprice.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:30 AM

I bought an MKR from Rich out of the Koch collection. It was near mint, but missing the case candy. In a pink lined case for around $3500, if I recall.

Being a collector example, and knowing the pedigree and care of Fred's guitars, I had no issues snagging it.

I am always on the lookout for a very nice swirl, but just being brutally honest based on your pictures, I think Rich's valuation is pretty spot on. I'd list it for $3500 and jump on any offers that got close to $3K

Best of luck to you.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:49 AM

This thread should be moved to non classified section. And I would be asking more. There is not much that guitars around.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
I bought an MKR from Rich out of the Koch collection. It was near mint, but missing the case candy. In a pink lined case for around $3500, if I recall.

Being a collector example, and knowing the pedigree and care of Fred's guitars, I had no issues snagging it.

I am always on the lookout for a very nice swirl, but just being brutally honest based on your pictures, I think Rich's valuation is pretty spot on. I'd list it for $3500 and jump on any offers that got close to $3K

Best of luck to you.

I think this is the right answer, all the swirls are rare guitars, a lot of them have found their "forever homes" and will be in the collections of owners to whom the guitar has more sentimental than monetary value, so other folks will always be on the lookout for one. This is a nice looking swirl for an MKR, but it seems the condition isn't there, so an advertised proce of somewhere around $3500 to $4000 and accept slightly lower offs seems the right way forwards if you do want to sell. Although if keeping it for another 5 years is an option, then it's a nice guitar to own.

To the OP, Please don't abuse the moderators we do this for free and in our own time, the site has a specific set up and I'd ask you to view that structure before posting.

Thanks in advance.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, that's very helpful! Will do. Have a great weekend!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:24 PM

I think that's a very nice looking MKR.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Tags
ibanez uv77mc , jem , swirl , universe , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode