LiQuiD Fx - -=[ OFFICIAL THREAD ]=- - Page 4 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: LiQuiD Fx - -=[ OFFICIAL THREAD ]=-

Let me add that this may not be an easy job- The neck is bound, has MOP sharkfins, and an MOP Jackson logo.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

It's paint. Comes out different every time. I base the guitar with Neon Green...clear it, then base it with black and go back with laquer thinner and a rag to wipe it away revealing the color under it.

So yes - this could be done on a neck through...could do a fade into the neck if you wanted to keep that natural wood, could do it on the neck, keep the neck a solid color - whatever you want.

This paint job is a little more expensive (not ridiculous) because more materials are used between basing it once, then clearing it, then basing again, and final clearing again...

Let me know and I can quote you. You will see a few others I have done like this on my site with Neon Pink and Blue. You could even do color fades under it like the crackle I did and then do this effect...could do holoflash, a swirl...whatever.
post #48 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Binding is no problem - I've done it before. Simply masking. Jackson logo should be no problem either. I can always scan it, and create a mask to cover it. That's what I did on the LP swirl you see on my site. Worked out perfectly.
post #49 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hey Rodney, Your work is looking more amazing as each build happens.

You have a green and black RG in the graphics section on your site. Is that a vinyl or paint?

The reason I ask is that I have a neck-thru Jackson that I'd like you to do something like that on it.........is it doable?

edit: This one......
That finish would look cool as hell on a Bongo bass
post #50 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Love your work Rod! I sent you a pm/email. Look forward to speaking with you.
post #51 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Does anyone know if Rod is still painting? Thought he might be busy, but noticed he hasn't been on the site since Feb.
post #52 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:18 PM

I don't, sorry. Did you try emailing him?
post #53 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:05 PM

Yeah I sent him a message through his site. No luck. I hope he is still painting these days!
post #54 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I have been away for a bit...my primary gig is flipping houses - and have gotten pretty busy with it! So I'm not painting as much as I would like, and when I am - I am taking way longer than I promise. I don't like working like that.

With that said - here is my latest I just wrapped up today!
PGM in yellow with Candy Red pickups, F-Holes, Ibanez Logo and Custom Graphic on the back that I forgot to take pics of!

post #55 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 PM

That looks great....You always have some great looking stuff. BTW I am a "flipper" also. Actually I am a Rehabber as I usually gut them and redo them, where as I consider a flipper someone who throws some paint up and tries to make 5 or 10G's.

I have a clear coat question for you. How much material do you usually use? I seem to always get at least one burn through by the time Im done wetsanding. I know people say they use x number of coats, but a coat can mean alot of things in terms of actual material thickness sprayed on.
post #56 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! Yea - I guess I am more of a RE Investor. My first 3 I did do all the work myself, then slowly moved to the role of a working GC, and now my time is better spent finding the next deal, investors, and checking on work being done. Finishing #8 next week, and start on #9 next week. Looking for #10 and #11...trying to buy 1 - 2 a month. You can check out what I've done over on my other website - www.jgeproeprties.com

My clear process:
1st I use a fast cure production clear. Like what the body shops use so they can clear your car today and it will be on the road tomorrow.

Day 1
Light mis coat
Flash time of 5 minutes
Medium/Heavy Coat
Flash time of 20 - 30 minutes
Medium/heavy Coat
DONEF OR THE DAY.

Day 2 (24 hours)
Scuff the entire body with dry 600/red scotch pad
Light mis coat
Flash time of 5 minutes
Medium/Heavy Coat
Flash time of 20 - 30 minutes
Medium/heavy Coat
DONE OR THE DAY.

Day 3 (24 hours)
Dry sand entire body with 1000
Dry sand entire body with 1500
Wet sand entire body with 3000
Buffing wheel with a rubbing compound
Buffing wheel with a polish compound
Hand apply new clear safe glaze

DONE

I use my pneumatic sander for everything. I forget the sandpaper I use, but it's white, and pretty expensive.

That's my process. My booth is also very clean and has minimal contaminants. My gun also sprays very nice and even. Nine times out of ten, I don;t even have to cut or buff the edges it lays like glass.

I'm going to be making some videos soon of my process and equipment I use. And when I say a medium/heavy coat - the entire body should look evenly wet. But not so much that it's going to drip.
post #57 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 PM

Cool Thanks! I will check out your page.
post #58 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Rick - I'm still alive! Haven't forgotten about you. As you can read I have been super busy! I have your RG base coated and plan on trying to get the Neon to it this weekend, as well as clear. I might need to add some more base first.

Then if you are still interested we can talk about some of the other bodies you mentioned.
I'm quoting time frames now of approximately 3 months.
post #59 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM

Too bad you're so busy.
I was thinking of having you paint a few guitars for me.
post #60 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I'm still painting, but yes - if your wanting it faster than 3 months - unfortunately you will need to look elsewhere. FROM what I hear - that is the norm, and I was better than that before - but then some projects took longer and i found myself giving credits back to the clients to offset the longer than quoted wait. So they weren't as profitable.

So if you change your mind - give me a ring!

Tags
custom paint , custom painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode