Mai-Guitar? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Mai-Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
Its hard to believe that body made it from Michigan to Alaska already. It looks like they didn't leave it though. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the review.
Haven't received it yet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
Its hard to believe that body made it from Michigan to Alaska already. It looks like they didn't leave it though. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the review.
huh? lol
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

I saw that USPS posted it as delivered, but I haven't checked the mail today--probably a package slip in there...Yeah--lightning fast!

EDIT--Yep, a package from Chris awaits my pickup at the P.O. Can't wait to get started--still rendering that darn floral print and changing to purple...

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 05-10-2011 at 03:20 AM.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM

I've been masking the bottom of the pockets, but not the sides. I'll check how Hec does it and follow his lead.

Here is another one that generated a lot of requests.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...3/IMG_2460.jpg

On some other background, I started by taking bodies purchased from Perle, finishing with 2-part clear, adding either a stock RG neck, or making necks from scratch. Some LED neck, some just custom colors to match the swirls. I like the bodies the most, so I'm focusing on that for now.

I know a lot of tricks, like hot to fit and Edge Pro 2 or Edge 3 into a cavity routed for an Edge. Its a small route, but really helps out. I did one for a guy last night before I shipped a bare wood body off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
try not to paint the neck pockets. Lot of people are nitpicky about that.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Are you the same Chris from Michigan who ran Legacy One guitars?

Peace

Mike
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Nope. Different Chris. I did buy the CNC from the other Chris though. It was doable to drive 200 miles.

I fixed up a few things that always bugged me about aftermarket bodies - like the size of the trem cover routing. The covers fit now!

According to Herc, the bodies he looked over were better than Legacy bodies and better than Pearle bodies. I'm going to stick with that if anyone says differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post

Peace

Mike
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post

Peace

Mike
Wondered the same thing myself.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 PM

chris. Make GMC's. Make tons of them. lol. Make a good gmc and I'll buy it right now
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
chris. Make GMC's. Make tons of them. lol. Make a good gmc and I'll buy it right now
He's got one on eBay right now, and it looks pretty good. You'd better hurry though, because I'm headin' to the PO--and if this body is any indication of how good I think it is, I'll be snagging that GMC!

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Here is the one I have now:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...C/IMG_2820.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...C/IMG_2823.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...C/IMG_2824.jpg
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I saw that USPS posted it as delivered, but I haven't checked the mail today--probably a package slip in there...Yeah--lightning fast!

EDIT--Yep, a package from Chris awaits my pickup at the P.O. Can't wait to get started--still rendering that darn floral print and changing to purple...
Yep--the body has arrived! Let me tell you folks of my first impression before I get to the actual review.
Overall condition: Very great cut, and minimal sanding required--not nearly as rough as I
thought it would be!
Neck pocket: Fits my 2001 RG-570 neck like a glove! No need for shimming at all!
Packaging: Fan-flippin'-tastic! Bubble-wrapped and in a size conforming box!
Routing: Very accurate, and the lion's claw is very sharp--no need for putty!
Cavities are very accurate and fit the 570 cover plates!
Monkey grip is dead-on and positioned accurately.
Final thoughts: I love you, man!

I'll try to get a few shots up in the Purple Floral Build Thread today. I'm still waiting for Al's fingerboard and purple acrylic inlays--I didn't want the mirrored purple this time, so I had to wait an extra few days.

Chris--you are putting out some fantastic bodies! Keep it up, and I think you'll be the next big contender in the aftermarket Jem parts department!

post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Chris has been a bud of mine for years. He makes it seem like he is just sort of getting into this. Two things your should know about him are that he is a Jem freak and a perfectionist. We have been buying, selling trading jems for the last 10 years. He has been modifying Jems for that long too. He was doing so many Jem projects for people that when the opportunity arose for him to get the cnc equiptment, he jumped on it. He has gone through countless bodies tweeking all of the imperfections that were in the prior programs. His bodies are light years from where they were with the prior owner. They look great and Ibanez parts actually fit them now. We all know what its like to get the aftermarket bodies only to find out that the neck, plates, pickguards etc don't fit quite right. These issues are gone now. His paint, swirls and clears are painstakingly done by him to be as close to perfect as possible. His prices are more than fair for the quality you get. He has some wild ideas coming up for mods so keep checking his site. I know he's been a lurker here for years and didn't want to step on any toes which is why he bought the ad space. So, support the advertisers becuz they are the ones that keep this site going.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrs View Post
Chris has been a bud of mine for years. He makes it seem like he is just sort of getting into this. Two things your should know about him are that he is a Jem freak and a perfectionist. We have been buying, selling trading jems for the last 10 years. He has been modifying Jems for that long too. He was doing so many Jem projects for people that when the opportunity arose for him to get the cnc equiptment, he jumped on it. He has gone through countless bodies tweeking all of the imperfections that were in the prior programs. His bodies are light years from where they were with the prior owner. They look great and Ibanez parts actually fit them now. We all know what its like to get the aftermarket bodies only to find out that the neck, plates, pickguards etc don't fit quite right. These issues are gone now. His paint, swirls and clears are painstakingly done by him to be as close to perfect as possible. His prices are more than fair for the quality you get. He has some wild ideas coming up for mods so keep checking his site. I know he's been a lurker here for years and didn't want to step on any toes which is why he bought the ad space. So, support the advertisers becuz they are the ones that keep this site going.
Wow--great story! I just supported him, am more than happy with the body and fit of my existing parts, and will write a very thorough review. I'm sure I'll be buying more stuff from him...

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 PM

its too gray. I want black on green dude. You have the right idea, but your black is too thin.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
its too gray. I want black on green dude. You have the right idea, but your black is too thin.
This brand of paint is tough to get a true black like that. others are better, but then you don't get the movement and the little micro swirls. My helper controls the paint and likes a "busy" look. We still keep the colors separated though. Check this one out. I'll have better pics when I done with the clear this weekend.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...s/IMG_2773.jpg

Tags
luthier builder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode