Mai-Guitar? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Mai-Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
This brand of paint is tough to get a true black like that. others are better, but then you don't get the movement and the little micro swirls. My helper controls the paint and likes a "busy" look. We still keep the colors separated though. Check this one out. I'll have better pics when I done with the clear this weekend.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...s/IMG_2773.jpg
that one is pretty cool.

Im dyin to find a good GMC type swirl body, the "busy look" is fine if the black is solid, but its turning gray at certain points from being too thin. maybe try a little bit more/thicker paint? Just throwin that out there. Your flourescent and jupiter swirls are pretty awesome! Just get a GMC like one of those

OR do a black and yellow one, Id probably be down with that lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Make me a custom Maxxas body!!
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 AM

So, are you making square heel bodies? And if so, how much? Site needs set prices for body woods, and options, it's way too vague.

I might want a couple bodies, but I don't like the claw, or handle, and would not want basswood. Basically a JPM body with a square heel in mahogany or ash(with a figured top?)...
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 AM

I can do square heel. I can leave off the handle. I could leave it for a fixed bridge like this, or do an RG style route. Just shoot me an email and we'll talk details. The concept of the site is that I can make what you want. We should have a revision done today. I'll always focus more on guitars than the site though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
So, are you making square heel bodies? And if so, how much? Site needs set prices for body woods, and options, it's way too vague.

I might want a couple bodies, but I don't like the claw, or handle, and would not want basswood. Basically a JPM body with a square heel in mahogany or ash(with a figured top?)...
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Sent you a message from your site..

One thing about that body style above, I would need the channel for the fretboard extension between the neck pocket and neck humbucker routs, like this body.
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Right. The one I posted was set up to take a strat neck. My buddy has an old strat neck for that one. Shoot me a message to work something out. Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Sent you a message from your site..

One thing about that body style above, I would need the channel for the fretboard extension between the neck pocket and neck humbucker routs, like this body.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Cool, just checking.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Hi All!
I realize this is an older thread, but when I was searching around for "Mai Guitar" I just happened to find it. I have three of Chris' swirls, a GMC, Jupiter and a silver/blue/black UV style. I also have a BMC from Herc Fede, and I can honestly say Mai Guitar's swirls are nearly as good....I have to give the edge to Herc, but he is the master after all. Last I heard he was getting out of the swirl business, sad, but I know he gets overwhelmed with it all. That leaves us with everybody else doing these, and Mai Guitar is from what I've seen one of the top guys out there. Easy to work with too, and he can get you anything you need....necks, hardware etc. I know I sound like an ad for him, but I'm always happy to help out somebody who does good work at a reasonable price. I saw a couple of the earlier posts regarding the quality of the work, and all I can say is the swirls I have are very cool. As stated by another poster earlier, the clear coat is the key to getting a good swirl to "pop". Besides that you want an interesting pattern and good color separation, Mai Guitar scores well in both of those catagories IMHO. I would be happy to post up pics of the swirls I have if anybody is interested. Glad to be here, I've been lurking for a while using this site for research into the guitars I'm building, but just now joined up. Hope to get to know everybody
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Once I drop my vendor spot, I think this will be the string that keeps working.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. Once I drop my vendor spot, I think this will be the string that keeps working.
Did you get my email I sent you on friday?
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
You're welcome Chris. You do some nice work, as soon as I can knock out the GMC I think I may get one of those maple/purpleheart bodies I saw a while back. That's gotta look sweet with a nice clear coat on it!
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Yes--and I still have your site linked to my blog, plus I recommend you across several guitar forums.

We've got you covered!

post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 AM

Smile Re: Mai-Guitar?

I searched for the right swirl artist and decided on Chis based on the quality of his swirls and colors. He swirls in my opinion were the best. I bought a Jupiter swirl and it is a work of art. He Has been very pleasant and attentive to e-mails. His clear coat is excellent and the quality of the rosewood neck is excellent. After I'm done with this project I probably will start another.
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM

This one turned out pretty good. I'm still doing swirl paint, but have some other stuff going on too.

post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

I worked on a couple natural finish guitars recently. The red one turned out pretty sweet.

Tags
luthier builder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode