Mai-Guitar? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Re: Mai-Guitar?

I've known Chris (Mai-guitar) for a while. I played the brown (red) one the other day. That thing plays great. I own a bunch of Jems and that guitar is right up there with them. The prestige neck helps, for sure. But, it sounds great, feels great and has super low action. I was tempted to take it home with me but I just can't swing it. The finish on the wood looks even better in person than in the pics. Top notch work for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks. I still have that one.

I thought there was another post on this thread from my email, but it looks like someone wiped it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrs View Post
I've known Chris (Mai-guitar) for a while. I played the brown (red) one the other day. That thing plays great. I own a bunch of Jems and that guitar is right up there with them. The prestige neck helps, for sure. But, it sounds great, feels great and has super low action. I was tempted to take it home with me but I just can't swing it. The finish on the wood looks even better in person than in the pics. Top notch work for sure!
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Just purchased an ash Jem body from Chris last Friday- held next to my JEM77VBK looks identical! Very nice work. I have not tried fitting any parts or a neck yet. I don't have a neck to try - I need to search for a neck now - maybe Perle?

Chris - I was also planning on a natural finish similar to your red or brown guitar. Did you grain fill the body as well? Can you provide any tips of the finish used, number of coats, clear etc.?
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM

The brown one is just a spray on stain, then a spray on top coat. My buddy did that one in his shop, so he was using some custom mixed stains. He buys the base products in big batches. No grain filler for the open grain look. Just sand the heck out of it.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM

I'm working on a few projects lie this. I have a couple SQ floral necks and a SQ pyramid neck for a LNG.

post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Can't wait to see the necks
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Yeah lookin good Chris! That's one of the best GMC's I've seen you do! We have talked in the past about you getting into doing necks... Are you doing necks from scratch yet or are you just re-doing the fingerboards/inlays? It sure would be nice to have another quality custom neck builder here in the states...
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM

That's a real FP neck on that guitar, not a custom correct?
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Its a real FP neck.
Check this one out:

Its a real FP neck on a Korina body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Here is one that jumped out. I figured I'd post it.

post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 PM

One of my first posts here but Chris is the man when it comes to swirled bodies, got one from him and can't say how happy I am, by far is one of my guitars that looks and plays amazingly, planning to buy another body and start a new project next year, also interested on those floral necks.

Completely recommended!

Arturo
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM

I had this one sitting around for a while. I buffed it out Thanksgiving morning. Then wired it up over the weekend. I put a Bad Horsie Neck on it, then some Breeds. The pickups seem pretty hot. With a split of the neck with the middle, it has a SRV feel with a clean patch. I really played the heck out of this one today.

post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 PM

Reviews: 4

That one looks really nice!!!
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Just bought an unfinished one piece Swamp Ash body from Mai-guitar, very happy with it.

The routes were extremely clean and the body only needed a little finish sanding to become perfect...

post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I just got a VBK for a project guitar.
The neck is in great shape but the body has been stripped and badly stained/painted.

Tags
luthier builder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode