Mai-Guitar - OFFICIAL THREAD - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mai-Guitar - OFFICIAL THREAD

Hi guys. I'm Chris from Mai-Guitar (pronounced My-guitar). We have another thread going too, but I guess this is the place where I can post more specifics on pricing, specials, etc.

As some background, I've always been into guitars. When I see guys getting into a "collection" I warn them that one you have 4, 10 is right around the corner. Somewhere in that 4 to 10 range I started talking with a buddy from school that was buying a lot of guitars too. He got me interested in Ibanez, and the edge trem system. Double locking is the only serious choice!

I purchased the CNC programs and equipment from another builder in January. I have made some updates to the programming that improved the claw, made the pickup cover routes a bit bigger so you don't need to sand down your RG/JEM covers, and tweaked some other stuff. They are a lot better now. I plan to continue to tweak them.

I do bang out some of the basic basic models, but the concept of the website was to make just what you want, but charge a bit more for the mods. I put ďyou draw it draw, we cut isĒ service offers a unique chance to trace out whatever you can think of, then we'll cut it. I have templates showing the places that need to stay to accommodate the routing. For the price ($300), itís a cool service. So far nobody have tried it, but I hope they do. I've done some testing to prove it works, so I'm ready on that one.

So I have a ground up system to make bodies. I made a few back in the day for a guy that really only wanted a H-H pickup setup. It was a pain starting with an RG body and trying the JEM mods by hand. How I can just do that - H-H, H-S-H, H-S-S. I still have some strat blood in me, so I'm fond of the H-S-S myself. I can do it all.

I can make a bare body to order, or paint it and do a swirl, or take to all the way to clearcoat. Solid colors are doable. I'll put some pics to my LNG as a follow up. If you don't want to mess with it at all, just send me the parts to put together and I'll send it back as a playable guitar. If your neck is straight, I'll give you a decent setup. I usually run necks like that through a good cleaning and polish so they frets have that ball bearing finish.

I can do mods to RGs too. The claw and grip are doable. The jack is on a per-guitar basis. I can do sustainer routing to new bodies, or modify RGs or JEMs. I have lefty programs too. I'm working on 7-strings, but the programming is tough, so I'm at least 2 weeks away.

People have noted some of the swirls I have auctioned off. Some of the better ones never make it to auction and get snapped up. Also, one guy early on specifically suggested that I list even the ones I'd like to re-dip, just at a cheaper price. So I do that too. Only 2 so far needed a re-dip.

The other thing I have is access to some really cool woods. I have a batch of Alder that is super light - just over 3 lbs for a cut JEM style body. I think that last one was 3lb - 4 oz after clearcoat. That is super light for alder. The idea on the JEM was Basswood for light weight, but Adder for sound. I think this Alder is lighter than factory Basswood, so its turn key.

I have some old basswood that is super light too - like 2.5 lbs. Iím saving that for special orders. It a bit tougher to route, but it so light.

This isnít my day job or anything. Iím having fun and have had a ton of interest so far. I need to sell a ton of bodies to pay for all the stuff. Some people have spcifics in mind. Some ask me for my input. I can do either. I answer all emails, so if you don't hear back, check your spam folder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Re: Mai-Guitar - OFFICIAL THREAD

Hi Chris, I saw one of your bodies on eBay recently and I know that you got your CNC code from The Legacy. I'm not sure exactly what updates you made to that program, but here are a few suggestions I can offer you:

1. His neck, pickup and trem routes were too shallow by 2-3mm. Measure one of them and then compare against the original Jem blueprint or even and production Ibanez guitar. This is particularly bad because it causes the neck and therefore the strings to sit up significantly higher from the body than a production Ibanez guitar.

2. The grip on the body of yours I saw still suffers from the same flaw as every other aftermarket body: the edge radius is wrong. Most edges on the body have a 2.5mm radius but the grip has a 5mm radius. It is visibly much rounder than any other edge on the guitar. If you have a real Jem in your possession, check it out.

3. On Legacy's bodies, he never bothered to blend the transition of the AANJ. He just left a sharp edge there.

Hopefully those tips help you make your bodies better. On to another topic, since you say you have access to really cool woods, what about curly koa? I have an RBM2NT that I'm thinking about having a replacement body made for that more closely resembles the original LACS prototype.
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'd like to see some close ups of an unfinished JEM body, the claw rout, the handle and the AANJ. These tend to be the things that folks miss or don't get quite right.
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

The bodies are pretty solid. On the 3 things from the first post, that seems like old stuff. I did buy the equipment from Legacy, but we are in no way related, and do business quite a bit differently. Lets just leave it at that.

So for item 1, I think even Legacy had that taken care of a long time ago. Here are two comparison shots.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...kshop/JEM1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...kshop/MAI1.jpg

The orange one just has the neck in place but not tightened. The gap between the rosewood and the top of the body is within .25-.5 MM, so its in spec.

On 2, your right, I never noticed that. On 3, maybe you saw one that someone forgot the post CNC finishing. 2 and 3 are after CNC work is done. The old guy had a bunch of different people doing work, so it was inconsistent at best.

On that line, JEM to JEM isn't even consistent. I think I have 5 now and the grip and claw are not the same guitar to guitar. My old Bad Horsie from '05 had a different profile on the back of the AANJ than the "06 that I sold. They do the same thing, so whatever tech is working on it will have little flairs.

Last edited by chris2112; 05-15-2011 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd like to see some close ups of an unfinished JEM body, the claw rout, the handle and the AANJ. These tend to be the things that folks miss or don't get quite right.
Here's the body I just got from Chris for my purple floral build. I have not touched it up yet:

post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, it would be really cool if we could move the quality control talk over to the review section or to the other thread. This is my only thread to talk products and $$$. Thanks.
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
Hey guys, it would be really cool if we could move the quality control talk over to the review section or to the other thread. This is my only thread to talk products and $$$. Thanks.
With all due respect Chris, you have virtually zero time invested in this site. I'd have thought you'd have been grateful for the interest in your products by some well respected and senior members of the site, especially given the fact your own webiste is so poor and fact that another member is willing to host and post pictures of your products...

That said any further passing interest or question I have will be restricted to threads elsewhere.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry Chris. Can't post a review yet, as the review section hasn't added a parts section yet. Just wanted to show asked-for pics and help promote your stuff.

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I have a bunch of SQ heel real deal RG necks - I think 4-5 total. I was going to run a deal for a SQ Heel JEM style body, with a swirl or solid color of your choice, a SQ heel RG neck with a matched swirled headstock, all clearcoated, and once single coil pickup color painted with a color from the swirl. All that for $600. I would send detailed pictures of the specific neck to anyone interested before we close the deal. The necks are old, but would be cleaned up, with the frets polished to a ball bearing finish. I'd the back plate and neck screws, but no other hardware.

Here is a picture of one I was going to keep for myself with a couple neck options, but if someone likes it I could make this one of the deals. This is pre-clearcoat. One is a lefty, but it bolts up to a SQ heel body with no worries.

http://]http://i42.photobucket.com/a...Q/IMG_2755.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2756.jpg

Here are some close ups of that body. I've done a few of that scheme and they are pretty consistent. In the other thread someone called it a Jupiter. I like that name.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2743.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2751.jpg

That is a flour. Paint, so it looks pretty cool under black light. One of my main buds is getting one and plans to strap a black light bulb to his mic stand.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2763.jpg

I'm using this as an example. I'll paint it any color or swirl theme that I do. There are 6 or so colors on the website that I'm confident working with. The website is weak, but I'll add more. I've been making so many bodies that just got pushed back.

If anyone is into making a cool graphic for the banner add, I'll discount some product in trade.

Last edited by chris2112; 05-18-2011 at 05:54 PM.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I have a bunch of SQ heel real deal RG necks - I think 4-5 total. I was going to run a deal for a SQ Heel JEM style body, with a swirl or solid color of your choice, a SQ heel RG neck with a matched swirled headstock, all clearcoated, and once single coil pickup color painted with a color from the swirl. All that for $600. I would send detailed pictures of the specific neck to anyone interested before we close the deal. The necks are old, but would be cleaned up, with the frets polished to a ball bearing finish. I'd the back plate and neck screws, but no other hardware.

Here is a picture of one I was going to keep for myself with a couple neck options, but if someone likes it I could make this one of the deals. This is pre-clearcoat. One is a lefty, but it bolts up to a SQ heel body with no worries.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2755.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2756.jpg

Here are some close ups of that body. I've done a few of that scheme and they are pretty consistent. In the other thread someone called it a Jupiter. I like that name.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2743.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2751.jpg

That is a flour. Paint, so it looks pretty cool under black light. One of my main buds is getting one and plans to strap a black light bulb to his mic stand.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Q/IMG_2763.jpg

I'm using this as an example. I'll paint it any color or swirl theme that I do. There are 6 or so colors on the website that I'm confident working with. The website is weak, but I'll add more. I've been making so many bodies that just got pushed back.

If anyone is into making a cool graphic for the banner add, I'll discount some product in trade.
Here ya go:

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 05-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

wow. it looks good. I'll send you and email.
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
wow. it looks good. I'll send you and email.
Check your email...

post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
3. On Legacy's bodies, he never bothered to blend the transition of the AANJ. He just left a sharp edge there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
This. There should be no edge there, it should all be rounded. Like this:

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:32 PM.
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Reviews: 11

To chime in following TAR's post, seeing that picture made me realize my VBK body has a curved transition from the neck humbucker to where the neck slips in. hard to describe, but yours is just flat O.o not sure if that matters at all.

I'll go over my body and see if i can find any more disparities.
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I'll poke around with some pictures of the neck pocket this weekend. It’s a whole different radius. I'll concede that it doesn’t match stock very well, but its more consistent to finish, and is less in the way when you play. I’m not against making a change there, but that is the most difficult type of programming.

Here is a body that I’ve been getting a lot of requests for. They look really nice after clearcoat. I should have glossy shots this weekend.

Here is the body with a matching swirled headstock. This is the kind of stuff I’m proposing in the SQ heel body/neck deal.

Tags
body , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode