Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences - Page 11 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences




This is my guitar! It arrived yesterday and I must start by saying, "WOW!!!" Because of his extensive knowledge and experience, Patrick instantly knew what I wanted when I sent a picture of the Bumblebee Camaro. Starting with the Kandy Yellow, he continued to mix in other colors until the paint matched the picture perfectly. When I spoke with him on the phone after viewing a picture he had sent me, he said, "I don't even know what color it is now. I kept adding and adding..." (I'm not saying what he added... gotta keep it a secret!) Patrick Sims has not only given me exactly what I asked for, he has given me a truly one-of-a-kind paint job. The color is absolutely beautiful! I am confident when I say that I am the only person in the world with this color. Thank you, Sims Custom Shop!

Tony Pacheco,
Automatic Rival
myspace.com/vault92
myspace.com/AutomaticRival[/QUOTE]

Last edited by scorpdude; 09-10-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typos
scorpdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,516
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

I would like to see some pictures of these recent guitars that people bought from Patrick. Pictures that Patrick did not take. Do you guys have any pictures of yourselves with the guitars with better lighting. I would really like to see what they look like with out the fancy studio shots.
Cheers,
moebius is offline  
post #153 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I would like to see some pictures of these recent guitars that people bought from Patrick. Pictures that Patrick did not take. Do you guys have any pictures of yourselves with the guitars with better lighting. I would really like to see what they look like with out the fancy studio shots.
Cheers,
I'll be taking pics as soon as I'm done getting my P-Rails installed. Should be next week.
scorpdude is offline  
post #154 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpdude View Post
This is my guitar! It arrived yesterday...
Though it's a shame that it took over a year to get done. There's no excuse for that especially when there are other painters out there whose work is just as good, if not better, that can get a job like that done in a a month or less. I have been down the road you traveled and even though the end result was nice, the trip was not worth it.

Last edited by toneboy; 09-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
toneboy is offline  
post #155 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Though it's a shame that it took over a year to get done. There's no excuse for that especially when there are other paints out whose work is just as good, if not better, that can get a job like that done in a a month or less. I have been down the road your traveled and even though the end result was nice, the trip was not worth it.
While you make good points and you are correct about the delivery time, I do not recall posting such information on this forum.

So it begins....
scorpdude is offline  
post #156 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpdude View Post
I'll be taking pics as soon as I'm done getting my P-Rails installed. Should be next week.
Actually, here's what he sent me just before he packed it up and shipped it. As I said before, I don't have it with me now, but will be taking pics when I get it back from the shop.

scorpdude is offline  
post #157 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,740
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

I just found out over at metalguitarist.org that Sims wanted to make a guitar for a wedding present for his brother. It's nearly done. Too bad the wedding was in 2006. LOL!
Jack Secret is offline  
post #158 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,212
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Cool paint I must say!
Ayrton is offline  
post #159 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 63
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I just found out over at metalguitarist.org that Sims wanted to make a guitar for a wedding present for his brother. It's nearly done. Too bad the wedding was in 2006. LOL!
Speaking of his brother, Sims "sold" a custom carved top guitar for "$3200" about a year ago. The "customer" couldn't be happier and even put a word for word copy of Patrick's description on the hc review page. Then a few months later, His brother starts a thread on tgp on how great his new guitar is that he received for Christmas. THE EXACT SAME GUITAR!!! When no one gave it any interest, he started another thread months later trying to drum up interest for Patrick. Yes, he plants his own reviews, but not much would surprise anyone about him any more.

shesky
shesky is offline  
post #160 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,740
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Seems Sims got himself banned at the sevenstring forums. Sims, Woods, Roman...boy, doesn't pay to be a customer who just wants his stuff in a reasonable time span.
Jack Secret is offline  
post #161 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpdude View Post
While you make good points and you are correct about the delivery time, I do not recall posting such information on this forum.

So it begins....
While it's true that you didn't say anything about the delivery time on this forum, you did say it on this forum and here are a few of your posts from that thread:

That's quite a mess. At least you got your refund. He still has my guitar. Its been over a year since I sent it to him and over 2 months since he said he'd ship it out "next week"

Sorry to say, but it looks like pissing and ****ting all over the place got the job done. I have been infinitely patient with Patrick. For a job he quoted "a general turnaround time of 8-10 weeks," when I sent my guitar to him for painting back in May 2008, he's sure taking his time. We're now coming up to September 2009, and I still do not have my guitar in my hands. Its been about 2 months since he told me, twice, that he'd ship it out next week. I filed a report with the BBB. He has not responded to them either (he has until tomorrow). I've contacted the civil court in Hamilton County and am awaiting paperwork from them. I'd rather not take this to court, but he needs to realize that just because I'm in California and he's in Tennessee, he is not untouchable. He got my money and he's got my guitar. I just want my guitar back. Is that too much to ask? So far, civility has gotten me dick

Its a truly frustrating journey. Only those who have experienced it first hand really understand the aggravation.

I sent my guitar to him in May 2008. He quoted me a "General turnaround time of 8-10 weeks." I think by the 4th month in, I just figured I wouldn't see it until nearly a year later, which wasn't too big of a deal since I have other guitars to gig with. I didn't even flinch when he told me the truss rod cover (the most important piece that would bear my son's name) had been lost. Fortunately, I was able to score one on **** and have it shipped to him. It really was luck because it's not a standard Ibanez cover. I think the final straw for me was being told it was finished and would be shipped "next week," twice. That was this past June. I got in contact with him on Monday and told him to send it back tomorrow. He said the cover wasn't finished. I told him to send it back anyway. The picture looks great, but the cover is the biggest disappointment.

I understand that you're happy with the end result. I had Patrick refinish (2) of my guitars in the past and overall his work is very good but I've since moved on to another painter who's just as good quality-wise but infinitely better in regards to delivery time, communication and artistic ability.

The fact is one does not have to wait a year for a paint job to get good quality. Period. Not to mention other painters don't ask for all the money up front as Mr. Sims does which demotivates him even more to not get the job done on time. That led me to go by a new rule - any painter/luthier who asks for all the money up front, for a paint job or a custom guitar, I won't do business with them.
toneboy is offline  
post #162 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post

I understand that you're happy with the end result. I had Patrick refinish (2) of my guitars in the past and overall his work is very good but I've since moved on to another painter who's just as good quality-wise but infinitely better in regards to delivery time, communication and artistic ability.

The fact is one does not have to wait a year for a paint job to get good quality. Period. Not to mention other painters don't ask for all the money up front as Mr. Sims does which demotivates him even more to not get the job done on time. That led me to go by a new rule - any painter/luthier who asks for all the money up front, for a paint job or a custom guitar, I won't do business with them.
You can quote me all you want. Just make sure you quote everything. Like this little gem here, you so selectively dismissed:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2403438&page=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpdude View Post
I sent a text to Patrick after I posted the :arg:s. He responded and was actually working on getting my guitar prepped and ready to go when I had pinged him. We texted back and forth and it turns out he was devoting the rest of the day to getting my guitar out the door. He called me twice towards the end of the business day.

I texted him this morning, at the end of what I was estimating was his lunch, in an attempt to not disturb his work. I asked him if we were good to ship today and he replied "yes." Not long after, he sent me 7 pictures that will soon appear on his site. He called me later on to let me know he had dropped it off at FedEx and proceeded to give me the tracking number over the phone. I verified it on FedEx.com and saw that it was indeed in the system. As usual, when I spoke with him on the phone, he was nothing but courteous and eager to converse.

All of this action is the result of a firm and civil dialogue initiated by me on Monday. I made it clear where I stood with our agreement and how I was not satisfied with how things have been. He understood and did not hesitate to make things right. I am very pleased with the pictures he had sent and I look forward to seeing my guitar when it arrives next week.

I rather enjoy talking to Patrick and now that I know what to expect, would possibly consider doing business with him again in the future, once I am sure the estimated delivery timetable has been overhauled and fine-tuned. Especially if the paint job looks as good in person as it does in the pictures.

Okay, people.. go ahead and flame me...
Yes, I am happy with the end result. I am also happy with the cooperation I had received the day before it shipped out. As far as I'm concerned, he made thing right. I got phone calls and emails throughout the second half of one business day and the first half of the next, until I got my tracking number.
scorpdude is offline  
post #163 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,740
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Scorpdude, if you had a decent experience with Sims, no one here is going to denounce you for that. Many would deem you lucky (as if you hit the lottery for big money) because there have been so many who have had problems with Sims. Conversely, do not discount what the people who have had troubles with him as lies and hearsay. This thread and other vendor ones like it are meant to educate and inform perspective buyers of vendors' wares (and yes, sometimes it sinks to pissing on vendors, deserved or not). Not sure of what guitar builder I could trust is what led me to spending money somewhere I COULD trust, albeit not custom made for me specifically, was to buy the Fireman and 2 JCustoms from [email protected] Rules.

I'd still like a custom made guitar one day but I won't be buying from Sims, Woods, Roman or Devries. Jaden Rose is still a option and Sherman guitars have gotten good reviews time and quality wise.

You posted, I think, expecting (possible wanting) to get flamed and pissed on with your "and now it begins" and "Okay, people.. go ahead and flame me..." comments. As Chris Woods said in his thread, bad publicity is good publicity (I think more bad publicity means you have people unlikely to deal with you). Maybe you posted because Sims himself is banned here (and now at sevenstring.org). Maybe you posted cause you are truly happy with the end result. People pay in full upfront and understandably get frazzled when they don't see anything for over a year and hear comments from him saying the $20,000 order he just got to ghostbuild is more important than their puny one guitar repainting or "it ships tomorrow" and tomorrow never comes.

If you're happy, be glad but have some sympathy for those who seemingly have been shut out by Patrick by no fault of their own. A person, once they've paid, deserves answers about the work they commissioned. Sims can buck that all he wants but they're in the right.
Jack Secret is offline  
post #164 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpdude View Post
You can quote me all you want. Just make sure you quote everything. Like this little gem here, you so selectively dismissed:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2403438&page=5
I did include a link to the thread itself so anyone who might be interested could read all your posts, good and bad. The objective of quoting your posts was to give the source for the "waited over a year" statement I made because you were not going to mention it yourself.

I know you're happy with the end result and your posts indicate that you were not pleased with some of the events that transpired along the way.

Quote:
Yes, I am happy with the end result. I am also happy with the cooperation I had received the day before it shipped out. As far as I'm concerned, he made thing right. I got phone calls and emails throughout the second half of one business day and the first half of the next, until I got my tracking number.
I suppose you and I, as well as many others, have very different criteria for what constitutes "making things right". I for one can't think of any thing that could make up for a 19 month delivery.

What possible logical explanation could there be for any paint job, and a technically simple one at that, to take 19 months? Reputable painters will stop taking work (and customers' money) when they have an excessive backlog.

Again, Patrick does good work but so do quite a few other folks and they do it in significantly less time and it's not because of lack of work. They can do it because they don't re-prioritize their workload based upon their needs (read that "money").
toneboy is offline  
post #165 of 597 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Scorpdude, if you had a decent experience with Sims, no one here is going to denounce you for that. Many would deem you lucky (as if you hit the lottery for big money) because there have been so many who have had problems with Sims. Conversely, do not discount what the people who have had troubles with him as lies and hearsay. This thread and other vendor ones like it are meant to educate and inform perspective buyers of vendors' wares (and yes, sometimes it sinks to pissing on vendors, deserved or not). Not sure of what guitar builder I could trust is what led me to spending money somewhere I COULD trust, albeit not custom made for me specifically, was to buy the Fireman and 2 JCustoms from [email protected] Rules.

I'd still like a custom made guitar one day but I won't be buying from Sims, Woods, Roman or Devries. Jaden Rose is still a option and Sherman guitars have gotten good reviews time and quality wise.

You posted, I think, expecting (possible wanting) to get flamed and pissed on with your "and now it begins" and "Okay, people.. go ahead and flame me..." comments. As Chris Woods said in his thread, bad publicity is good publicity (I think more bad publicity means you have people unlikely to deal with you). Maybe you posted because Sims himself is banned here (and now at sevenstring.org). Maybe you posted cause you are truly happy with the end result. People pay in full upfront and understandably get frazzled when they don't see anything for over a year and hear comments from him saying the $20,000 order he just got to ghostbuild is more important than their puny one guitar repainting or "it ships tomorrow" and tomorrow never comes.

If you're happy, be glad but have some sympathy for those who seemingly have been shut out by Patrick by no fault of their own. A person, once they've paid, deserves answers about the work they commissioned. Sims can buck that all he wants but they're in the right.
Jack Secret, I don't think I'm lucky, but I can understand why it may look that way to others. I am far from unsympathetic to those who are still waiting for their completed projects. Its no secret I shared a similar story, so why would I discount the distress of others? I have no doubt there are some legitimate customers out there who are waiting in line. I also expect there are even more people out there who are just pissed off and have nothing else better to do. Sure, there are plenty of negative posts on these forums. That's because its a big part of human nature to go out and rant and be pissy and bathe in hostility. What about the people that have something good today. For example, what do you think the positive to negative ratio of reviews is on Amazon.com or Musician's Friend? I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I'm more likely to post a review about something that ended up a piece of crap. Now, people are popping up to say something good and suddenly its questionable, or impossible.

Just like everyone, I paid up front. Yes, it took 16 months. Througout that waiting period, I found all the Sims drama on all the sites. When I found that he ghost builds for companies, it only put me at ease. I already knew up front that he's the only guy there. I knew the risks of sending my guitar to an online buisness. I had an idea what to expect when a one-man shop has a presence on the World Wide Web and when I found out that he does work for bigger dollars, it didn't bother me. Why? Because that's how business works. Sure, there were times I wondered where my stuff was, but then I wondered how many other people's stuff he had to do, then I wondered how many builds he had to do for the bigger contracts. Maybe that's why I was such a Zen master for so long. As I had stated in an earlier post, it was the "next week" estimation that got to me. "Don't set an expectation you can't meet," is how I work, as well as, "Accept the risks." That in no way is a slam to anyone who is having an issue. Its just an explanation of my mindset when entering into the agreement.

I posted the "go ahead and flame me" and the "it begins," because I expected someone to have something stupid to say about it.. because I expect nothing more from a lot of people, regardless of my tale of an unpleasant experience turning out good. I am truly happy with the end result. My review was of the paint job done and the display of effort and integrity towards the end of the deal, no matter the motivation, was good enough for me.
scorpdude is offline  
Reply

Tags
patrick sims , scs , sims custom shop , sims customshop

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Rant) about Patrick Sims of sims custom shop Jet city Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 9 04-28-2008 04:03 PM
Washburn WM526 = Patrick Sims Custom? waylay00 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 20 02-11-2008 07:02 AM
Sims Custom Shop... Dom5412 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 23 05-29-2007 11:59 AM
SIMS CUSTOM SHOP LNG chef21 Off-topic / Miscellaneous 28 05-14-2007 09:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome