Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences - Page 5 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 597 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Re: Patrick SIMS experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
??? The painter I deal with is in Colorado which has heavy duty winters. He painted a guitar for me in January through February and the temperature never came up as being an issue affecting the delivery time.
That's because that "idea" is ridiculous. Unless he has an outdoor shop (don't know anyone who does), that makes absolutely no difference. I've had guitars done and painted by my luthier in the winter, in the summer, etc. Always came out perfectly fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 597 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM

i think someone who rips people of takes a real risk...do they sleep well?i can image that people want to do really stupid things when they are riped off because they are angry.
and i understand that completely
post #63 of 597 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM

In fairness guys, as a complete neutral observer, he's not a fraudster or lowlife, he's just very slow on some fronts, taking on too much work or relying on outsourcers to return work is always gonna be a problematic way of working imo. if anyone has any proof of theft or being ripped off please use it as proof, if not i'm reading more bashing into this just to "jump on the band wagon"

i know he has attitude i have read that myself, but jesus, unless you have dealt with him, lay off the derogatory comments.
post #64 of 597 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
After dealing with Patrick myself, I have one rule I go by now when getting any custom guitar work done - I only pay half the money up front and the balance on delivery. Any custom painter/guitar builder that wants to be paid in full when the order is placed, I will not do business with them. That one simple rule helps to separate the good vendors from the potentially bad ones.
I have never taken the whole amount up front for a job. I take 50% for a deposit on large jobs. I always communicate and respond to my emails. I'm an honest person. It's problems like this that makes it harder for me.

Now I have to get to work.
post #65 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 AM

Reviews: 10

i'll confirm rick ALWAYS answers his emails, good guy/vendor to do business with. hes actually finishing up my kandy red jem project.
post #66 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Hey Jemmers
Thought I'd throw my experience in, if it helps or not oh well.
4-8-08 sent a MO for an Alder Jem modded UV body and a 7620 neck he had and was told 6-8 weeks. He finally said it was done last week and it got here on the 7th.
364 days.
I pretty much went through what you read in every other post and it definitely takes oomph out of what should be project that should be making you excited.
But I will say the body is VERY nice!
He forgot to drill the claw holes ( no biggie) and the jack hole got chewed a little bit but sealer/paint/clear and a jack on top and it 'll be 100%.
He did a really nice sand job and lightly broke all the edges. The grip is done nicely and the claw and the little scoops in it are well defined, its ready for paint.
I test fit everything except the cavity covers and everything fits as it should.
The neck pocket is very nice.
The neck was as described, minimal wear, straight, no cracks, 2 little dings on the back.
There was a period of time where I really didn't know WTF if I was screwed outta $$ or what I could even do about it.
I hope all of you guys get your stuff and it ends well as it did for me.

I'm so ready to put this thing together.... going to have GuitarGuru put a rudely offensive neon yellow paint job on the body and headstock.

Peace
post #67 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
I have never taken the whole amount up front for a job. I take 50% for a deposit on large jobs. I always communicate and respond to my emails. I'm an honest person. It's problems like this that makes it harder for me.

Now I have to get to work.
I wouldn't worry about what most folks think GG. If there's nothing bad said about a luthier/painter than it should be assumed their good, especially when they have a track record to go by.
post #68 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
If there's nothing bad said about a luthier/painter than it should be assumed their good
I wouldn't. Some people don't like to complain on websites and direct their communication to the source: the luthier.
post #69 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
I wouldn't. Some people don't like to complain on websites and direct their communication to the source: the luthier.
this was my idea first aswell. communication to the luthier directly, but when there is coming NO answer (3 month), i have to choose other ways... maybe post in forums!
post #70 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywaltz View Post
this was my idea first aswell. communication to the luthier directly, but when there is coming NO answer (3 month), i have to choose other ways... maybe post in forums!
I understand your situation. Offcourse you try get your money back is the luthier in question does not respond for three months.

The point i am trying to make is: If nobody complains about a luthier, it doesn't mean the service and delivered goods are great.
post #71 of 597 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
The point i am trying to make is: If nobody complains about a luthier, it doesn't mean the service and delivered goods are great.
right - concerning to this, i'm with you! i never have told, that his parts are crap, i never have seen one of his necks or bodies. other users have written things like that and thats not my opionion. i just wann have my refund, not more not less!
post #72 of 597 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Re: Patrick SIMS (custom shop in TN, USA) experiences

Well, my experience with him has been very positive. I just finished a project and you can go here to see it. I will definitely use him again.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ro...ect-90060.html

But he has done great work for me in a very reasonable time.
post #73 of 597 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 AM

I have some more pics up of it.
post #74 of 597 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Patrick just sent me pics of the tangerine one's progress. It looks great so far and he's been great to work with. Just go to the link mentioned above . BTW the neck is by Chris Woods.
post #75 of 597 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsws6 View Post
Well, my experience with him has been very positive. I just finished a project and you can go here to see it. I will definitely use him again.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ro...ect-90060.html

But he has done great work for me in a very reasonable time.
You must have pictures of him cheating on his girlfriend (can i have them PLEASE ??) Iv'e been waiting for my jem GMC body from him for 19 months, and for the last two months he won't reply to emails, PMs (sevenstring) anything .
What can you do?
for me personally iv'e resigned myself to the fact that iv'e been screwed (good and proper) and if it turns up it turns up

I REALLY do want those pics ronsws6

Tags
patrick sims , scs , sims custom shop , sims customshop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode