paypal scam? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

paypal scam?

Hi all,

I did a search, but did not find an exact match for this question. Once paypal payment clears, can a buyer still try to rescind payment? I recently sold an amp on [email protected]#$ and the winning bidder is acting pretty squirrely. I am concerned about going ahead with the transaction. Thanks! Tobe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: paypal scam?

Did you contact Paypal, or at least look through their FAQ section?
You have 45 days to file a dispute. After that, wait a few days to see if the buyer responds. If not--escalate to a claim.
How is the buyer acting "squirrely?" Did he send payment? Have you already shipped it?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Paypal and Ebay (same company) protect the buyer, not the seller in all counts. Its BS really. If you have the SLIGHTEST bad vibe, don't ship your product or you will lose it.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Paypal and Ebay (same company) protect the buyer, not the seller in all counts. Its BS really. If you have the SLIGHTEST bad vibe, don't ship your product or you will lose it.
This above is 100% true! EBAY/PAYPAL are one, and it will cost the seller period in every dispute!
I no longer support either, I have lost big as both the seller, and the buyer ( as a buyer in a privite transaction).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Vendor

I've been in claims on both sides of the coin. If you know the rules and follow the rules you have nothing to worry about. If you don't, you're asking for trouble. So, learn the rules, and follow them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

If payment has already cleared, then you are required to ship the item. Take pictures of it before packaging, take pictures of it packaged with the address lable. Again, how is the buyer acting squirrely? He paid already and it cleared. If something is giving you a red flag, transfer all funds in your Paypal account to your bank, so they can't touch it.
As Rich pointed out--read all of the rules. I'd like to read the whole story on this if you could provide it.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Vendor

If you can transfer funds into a bank account Paypal can take funds out of that account to cover any claims. It's in your user agreement.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you can transfer funds into a bank account Paypal can take funds out of that account to cover any claims. It's in your user agreement.
Yes they can, but you can contact the bank to have them block removal of funds from specified organizations. Remember the Batman armor story I told you about?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
If payment has already cleared, then you are required to ship the item. Take pictures of it before packaging, take pictures of it packaged with the address lable. Again, how is the buyer acting squirrely? He paid already and it cleared. If something is giving you a red flag, transfer all funds in your Paypal account to your bank, so they can't touch it.
As Rich pointed out--read all of the rules. I'd like to read the whole story on this if you could provide it.
Thank you all for the replies. I have read the user agreements in the past, but I just wanted to ask others from their experiences. Here is the full deal:

I placed an amplifier on ebay with an accurate description. In my listing, due to the huge increase in deadbeat bidders on ebay, I specified that I required payment with two days. The amp sold to a bidder with zero feedback, but has been a member since July. This alone makes me uneasy. According to his contact information he is from the states and has a very non-foreign sounding name, no offense meant to anyone, what I am getting at is basically without any further knowledge it looks like English is his first language. I sent him an invoice, and waited. At the end of the second day he sent me an e mail that started out with, paraphrasing here "thanks for letting me win this auction". This sent warning flags up immediately, as scams usually have some very strangely worded grammer. The bidder went on to say that he had to change paypal accounts and was waiting on the account to become active to pay. I do not want to post the e mail, but its all worded very strangely, my first thought is some one hacked this person's ebay account. Of course I will not ship until the payment clears, but I want to make sure that I do not end up with Paypal trying to rescind the funds. Thanks again, Tobe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Contact Paypal immediately!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 AM

OR, as he has not paid within the two days, you can already contact eBay to re-list given the winning bidder did not follow your auction rules.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
OR, as he has not paid within the two days, you can already contact eBay to re-list given the winning bidder did not follow your auction rules.
True. Thats what I did today. I gave the individual 4 extra days, and nothing. Of course, with the dispute I have to wait until Wednesday before I re-list it. Grrr. This is happening more and more on e$ay now. Almost makes me want to stop using it. Thanks again for the replies!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
True. Thats what I did today. I gave the individual 4 extra days, and nothing. Of course, with the dispute I have to wait until Wednesday before I re-list it. Grrr. This is happening more and more on e$ay now. Almost makes me want to stop using it. Thanks again for the replies!
screwey bidders that can do no wrong, is why I stopped!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Banned

Seeing as how the buyer never sent payment, there really is no scam involved. You're doing the right thing. On Wednesday, file the non-paying buyer dispute so you can get your final value fees back and relist. Use this as a learning tool, and put a disclaimer in your future listings for no buyers with less than 5 feedbacks, etc. You can also set your sellinf prefs to block those bidders.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Seeing as how the buyer never sent payment, there really is no scam involved. You're doing the right thing. On Wednesday, file the non-paying buyer dispute so you can get your final value fees back and relist. Use this as a learning tool, and put a disclaimer in your future listings for no buyers with less than 5 feedbacks, etc. You can also set your sellinf prefs to block those bidders.
That is somewhat true, you can limit things, but it is too lax. I mean someone can still bid if they have less than three non payments in a month! Lame

Tags
paypal scam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode