Purchased stolen guitar on eBay - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Purchased stolen guitar on eBay

I got a letter in the mail from the LAPD saying I purchased a stolen guitar on eBay. Still early in the process and haven't gotten a hold of the investigator yet, but wondering if anybody else has had this happen? Going through my purchase history to see which guitar it might have been and while I've had several come from California, of course the one that came from LA is one that I *really* love and would hate to lose, so that sucks. I'm hoping I can get a refund from the seller somehow, but have no idea how that would work, like if he would actually be legally required to refund my money for selling me a stolen item. Also wondering how I'm supposed to get it back to the rightful owner, not like I'm trying to keep it if it's stolen but I'm not about to spend $80 packing and shipping a guitar to California...

Anyway just seeing if anyone has any insight on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Re: Purchased stolen guitar on eBay

Maybe its not an actual police investigator and just someone trying to scam you out of a guitar? Tell them you will ONLY ship to a police station.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Maybe its not an actual police investigator and just someone trying to scam you out of a guitar? Tell them you will ONLY ship to a police station.
That was also my first thought, but the phone number on the letter was also on the website for the specific LAPD police station, so it's legit.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Vendor

I'm surprised the specific guitar was not identified in the letter. They went to the trouble of filling to get your personal information from ebay to write you, you would think the first contact would include all the details.

You're protected in that you bought believing it had clear title. You didn't do anything wrong so there is nothing to charge you with. As for title to the guitar, that is questionable. Unfortunately I bought 2 guitars last year from the UK that ended up being stolen. I was contacted by the owner because he saw one of them on my used page after I sold it, unfortunately both had been sold. I let both of the buyers know the situation, one of them offered the owner his guitar back [he's a great guy, and a member here]. I offered him the profits from the sales. The owner refused but was greatful for the offers. It really sucks when bad things happen to good people.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Also i feel like you can probably launch a claim against the seller on Ebay. Did the seller on Ebay steal it?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Reviews: 17

Or maybe the seller on eBay reported it stolen after he sold it to you?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 PM

If it were me I would go to my local police show them the letter and get their advice/help in sorting it out. Just because the letter has the right info on it doesn't make it legit. Like Rich I find it odd that the guitar isn't specified in the letter.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Vendor

I'd call my lawyer first, then I'd call them direct to see what they had to say, unless my lawyer advised against it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
Or maybe the seller on eBay reported it stolen after he sold it to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
If it were me I would go to my local police show them the letter and get their advice/help in sorting it out. Just because the letter has the right info on it doesn't make it legit. Like Rich I find it odd that the guitar isn't specified in the letter.
I also considered both of these ... but the eBay seller (if it's the guitar I think it is) has over 500 feedback at 100%, so that would seem awfully unlikely. And if it has the legit phone number and address of a real police station on the letter, then how would they possibly scam me?

And yes I also thought it was strange that they didn't include more specific information about the type of guitar and serial number or anything. Still haven't heard back from the investigator, so we'll see how it pans out.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM

Reviews: 13

This doesn't sound right. As Rich suggested I would seek legal advice.

My gut feeling is that this has scam all over it.

-Wolfram
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 25

Yeah id call the LAPD direct and get them to at least acknowledge they sent the letter...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 PM

I would call and feign ignorance over which guitar it is. It isn't untrue that you bought several guitars and are unsure which it might be. That will make them have to describe the guitar.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 PM

I think they could probably describe the guitar if they have your mailing address. I would speak to lawyer, as Rich suggested.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Left a message on the police station answering machine last week and still haven't heard back from them... definitely odd. I'm not too concerned about it at this point, not much else I can do.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Do not ship the guitar anywhere on the say so of a few words on a bit of paper. take the letter to your local police station and ask them to make enquiries with the devision that is dealing with it LAPD, basically ask them to authenticate it, is it valid. get a reference number and ONLY deal with the one cop, the more people get involved the complicated it gets. if the letter is valid and from the LAPD, them seek some legal advice.
I guess the only time you would let this go is if uniformed cops call at your house with a SIGNED IN INK (not photo copied) warrant or court order.
Not sure how the law works in USA is this civil? criminal?
over here civil requires your consent at all times. criminal is a big thing as it is all down to if its a common law offence or statutory offence such as an act of parliament.......... look up the meaning in a law dictionary as a statute is only given the force of law by the consent of the governed........................
oh dear..... Im waffling

I really hope this all turns out OK for you. good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in