Sales Definitions - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Sales Definitions

I've been seeing some craziness in listings on the 'bay lately. This is just my opinion, and you're of course free to argue.

Custom / Customized / One-off - these are terms that should be used only when something was done to a guitar on the FACTORY / employee level. On the factory level, this may add value to an instrument.

Modification / Mod - this is something that is done by the purchaser / end-user of an instrument. Any part that is changed (besides strings) is a mod. I see "100% original with strap locks & locking tuners added" - this is no longer original. The more major the modification, the more it decreases the value of an instrument.

Upgrade - is in the eye of the beholder. As a collector and player, I like to buy guitars in their original factory specs. When looking for a different sound, I'll use a different guitar. A strat with an "Upgrade" to humbuckers/noiseless pickups to me is not an upgrade - it's a modification. Fine if you want to do it, some of those pickups are great, but it's not an upgrade if you like single coils. I feel the same when going to name brand pickups - what's an upgrade to one person may not be to the next.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Re: Sales Definitions

Amen, who's to say what exactly is an "upgrade"? I also see lots of ppl calling modded guitars "one offs"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Completely with you, new pickups don't make a guitar a custom.

I'd like to add another pet peeve is people who can't tell vintage from old, or the idea that there is a magic number when something becomes vintage. I've seen things like "1995 Les Paul studio, only a year away from being vintage"
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM

My wife isn't old. She is vintage.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM

also, there has never been a distinct line between "has mojo" and "beat to sh*t" Actually, mojo might be one of the most misleading words in the guitar lexicon.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM

I sometimes find myself wanting to smack someone in the head with their "player condition' guitar.

Player condition is just another word for piece of ****.
I don't play pieces of ****.

Thanks for listening.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
I sometimes find myself wanting to smack someone in the head with their "player condition' guitar.

Player condition is just another word for piece of ****.
I don't play pieces of ****.

Thanks for listening.
So Steve Vai's Evo is a Piece of Doo? You would not play that one?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
So Steve Vai's Evo is a Piece of Doo? You would not play that one?
Yes, and no I wouldn't.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, and no I wouldn't.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 AM

LOL I'm totally serious.
Somewhere in Japan they are laughing at people who paid all that money for a perfectly nice guitar to be effed up into a dinged up piece of crap because it looks like steve vai's guitar.
I mean, for every toilet seat, there's an ass. But I find it to be one of the cruelest jokes in Ibanez history. Besides...what ever happened to people having their own identity?
I'm a big fan of steve vai's music, but I could give a rat's ass about his curtains, his hairdo or having a guitar with artificial damage because it looks like his.

The only "well worn" guitars I find acceptable are 50s and 60s fender/gibson guitars. There is a reason they are well worn and have survived the test of time.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
The only "well worn" guitars I find acceptable are 50s and 60s fender/gibson guitars. There is a reason they are well worn and have survived the test of time.
Ooh, vintage snob! This is jemsite, not TGP
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
I've been seeing some craziness in listings on the 'bay lately. This is just my opinion, and you're of course free to argue.

Custom / Customized / One-off - these are terms that should be used only when something was done to a guitar on the FACTORY / employee level. On the factory level, this may add value to an instrument.

Modification / Mod - this is something that is done by the purchaser / end-user of an instrument. Any part that is changed (besides strings) is a mod. I see "100% original with strap locks & locking tuners added" - this is no longer original. The more major the modification, the more it decreases the value of an instrument.

Upgrade - is in the eye of the beholder. As a collector and player, I like to buy guitars in their original factory specs. When looking for a different sound, I'll use a different guitar. A strat with an "Upgrade" to humbuckers/noiseless pickups to me is not an upgrade - it's a modification. Fine if you want to do it, some of those pickups are great, but it's not an upgrade if you like single coils. I feel the same when going to name brand pickups - what's an upgrade to one person may not be to the next.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.
Good rant!!!

I always think of "Custom" as coming from the factory, and "Customized" as having been done professionally as an "aftermarket" thing. A custom guitar could come from the factory with an outlandish one-off paint job, but for an otherwise same guitar to be customized it has to start out different and undergo some radical one off change.

Modification is sort of any minor/non structural change, and I usually think of it as an procedure that could be done in a normal guitar store, such as a change of pickup, hardware swap etc.

Upgrades I think can certainly be called that if there's a tangible, almost universally accepted increase in quality. So a high precision Gotoh Floyd in place of Chinese pot metal copycat trem or a set of calibrated Bareknuckle pickups in place of no name microphonic mufflebuckers are upgrades, but swapping Duncans for DiMarzios is a modification, not an upgrade...

That's my rant
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Good rant!!!

I always think of "Custom" as coming from the factory, and "Customized" as having been done professionally as an "aftermarket" thing. A custom guitar could come from the factory with an outlandish one-off paint job, but for an otherwise same guitar to be customized it has to start out different and undergo some radical one off change.

Modification is sort of any minor/non structural change, and I usually think of it as an procedure that could be done in a normal guitar store, such as a change of pickup, hardware swap etc.

Upgrades I think can certainly be called that if there's a tangible, almost universally accepted increase in quality. So a high precision Gotoh Floyd in place of Chinese pot metal copycat trem or a set of calibrated Bareknuckle pickups in place of no name microphonic mufflebuckers are upgrades, but swapping Duncans for DiMarzios is a modification, not an upgrade...

That's my rant

microphonic mufflebuckers......ROFLMAO
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Ooh, vintage snob! This is jemsite, not TGP
hehe

I do have a few very pricey vintage guitars and boutiques, but they were my father's, not mine. But I'll tell ya...pick up an old gibson, or fender and play it back to back with an ibanez. The results are kind of shocking.

I want my modern pretty guitars to sound better, but they dont.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

I've got large hands (I'm 6'6" & 265 lbs) and I find vintage guitars with tiny frets difficult to play. I like them, but not like modern stuff.

I also find that "sound better" is difficult to qualify. there's just way to many variables. I've got a vintage Tele ('6 that sounds great through a Twin, but horrible through a Blackstar half-stack. My PGM300 is the other way around. I know this is obvious, but still fun to point out.

Tags
custom , mod , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode